View Poll Results: Which one is the best videocamera
Sony Nex 5 11 40.74%
Panasonic GH2 16 59.26%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Aug 28, 2011, 01:09 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Which is best: "Sony Nex 5" or "Panasonic GH2"?

I am a videographer about to buy a new camera, and I am have come down to 2 different alternatives, the "Sony Nex 5" and the "Panasonic GH2". Too me it seems like the choice is simple, GH2 is best. But is that really true, is it really that much better?

A lot of you out there has tried one or both of these cameras, and others of you have seen reviews and sample-videos.
Which camera do you think is the best for video?
Last edited by babanan; Aug 28, 2011 at 01:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2011, 03:10 PM
Frogman
I haven't used both cams....heck I haven't really used either of the cams. But I am a pro videographer and know lots of people in the industry all around the world. I hear many of my colleagues and friends with GH2s (and the previous GH1) cameras and they all love them. On the other hand I know very few that have the Nex 5 to use for video. I know one videographer that got to beta test the Nex 5 and demo it at some big video show but he still shoots all his projects on Canon DSLRs. He loved the camera but the Canon 5D setups he has are in a different league.

Me personally, if I had to pick between the 2 it would be the GH2 over the Sony. The GH2 has some available firmware hacks out there that allow you to up the big rate of your files and get better quality among other cool little tricks.

I only have one DSLR for video at it's a T2i that I use for those eye candy shots and special projects. My other main cameras are Canon XH A1 prosumer models that are way too heavy to haul on a RC rig. They still shoot the old fashioned way on tape but they are still working well and doing what I need them to do so I still use them....plus I don't have the funds now to sell them and start over again with DSLR setups. If I were to reinvest in new cams the GH2 would be on my radar if I wasn't convinced the Canons were the way to go.

My biz partner for corporate type projects just ordered a GH2 so I may know more about it soon. Now if I can get him to let me strap it onto my Heptad I can shoot some footage with it.
Aug 29, 2011, 11:48 AM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
I use my NEX-5 mainly for photos but have used it for video with great results. Depending on its application you may find lack of a focus lock during video somewhat of an annoyance, this can be overcome by depressing the shutter button, or building a jig to do that for you .

My vote goes for the NEX-5 as it has a full sized APS sensor over the GH2's 4/3 style sensor...once again splitting hairs but thats my preference.

Curt
Aug 29, 2011, 03:55 PM
i have a gh1 and a gf1 both hacked. my plan is to use the gf1 on an x8 multicopter as soon as i finish tweaking it.
From what i read, and being a pro videographer you may know , the Nex suffers from a big problem: lack of manual controls in video mode... and you definately don't want those sudden iris or shutter changes in a pro video... otherwise you could just as well use a gopro....
seems that the upcoming nex 5n should have proper manual controls... so it depends if you can wait.
Aug 30, 2011, 11:59 PM
uptime4downtime
Things are moving along - NEX 5N at this point, although, having said that, these models are not as available, or cheap as the current models. Without manual video exposure control, the NEX 5 doesn't cut it for me.
Last edited by 3D Kiwi; Aug 31, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
Aug 31, 2011, 12:37 PM
I like my nex3 (just like nex5). I have HDMI to AV converter (50 - 60 usd) to frame picture.
Sep 08, 2011, 04:27 PM
Where did you get your HDMI to AV converter? any details?...all the ones I've seen are expensive and large!

Denham

Quick Reply