Aug 27, 2011, 08:17 PM
Build Log

Another J-boat build

I'm sitting here waiting for Irene to pass, so I thought I would start a build log of my 36" J-boat. I was going to build a Canterbury-J but decided I really didn't want a large 48" boat(It is one georgeous boat though!!)

A 36" size seemed more practical for me. I really like the looks of the Canterbury, so I used the same shape & proportions. I then reduced them to 75% for a 36" length.

I've finished the plug & plan to use this as a male mold to make the hull.

Here are a few pix of my progress so far. I built a plug from scrap foam, then covered it with light spacke(several times with the last coat being thin & brushed on), then sanded it smooth. I then put a thin coat of Envirotex Lite & sanded it to get rid of any imperfections then put on a full coat of Envirotex Lite for the final finish.

The next step is to try a fiberglass or epoxy hull from the mold.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2011, 09:02 PM
looking good
Aug 27, 2011, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by obses4sail
looking good
Thanks - I hope mine turns out looking as good as yours I've been following your thread - I'm anxious to see if your version II sails as well as you hope it does. (So I can make corrections to mine from your experience)

I'm concerned about there being enough weight down low - I'm considering adding a bit of a lead extension to the keel(ala Canterbury)
Aug 28, 2011, 04:12 AM
slow & draggy...
Yes very nice so far
Aug 29, 2011, 11:13 AM
As a mold release, I wax about 7-8 times with a car paste wax, the local big boat dealer goes about 11 times. This is the old way of doing it before PVA (poly vinyl alcohol)
Oct 26, 2011, 02:12 PM
Well, after 2 less than successful attempts at a fiberglass hull from the plug, I decided to go another route, I'm building the hull in a way I'm more comfortable with - shadows & planking.

Here are the results so far. It's just about ready for the final coat of Envirotex Lite. The hull will still be sanded & painted(maroon I think).
Last edited by werlec; Oct 26, 2011 at 02:44 PM.
Oct 26, 2011, 05:49 PM
Your hull looks very good. Looking forward to watching your build.

Ed
Oct 26, 2011, 07:54 PM
Ed,

I hope I can come even close to the quality of #529!! A beautiful boat!!!

Erle
Nov 01, 2011, 08:24 PM
A little more progress. I've donr the rudder post & the rudder servo. Thanks to Rick(Faiwind900) for the great idea for the rudder post/servo mount combination!! It really works great!!

I think the old Futaba S48 should be enough for the rudder.

Now on to the sail control servo - I plan to use a Hitec HS645MG w/180 deg. from Servo City - they seem to be the only one's with a 180deg. mod(for an extra $10)

Sorry for the lousy pix(probably shoulda' been in macro)
Nov 01, 2011, 09:56 PM
Looking very nice!
Nov 07, 2011, 07:52 PM
More progress - I've added the king plank and the perimeter reinforcement. I've also pretty much finished the rudder(2 thiicknesses of 1/8 balsa sandwiching a 1/32 ply). The servo placement is now finalized - now I have to order the hs645mg servo.

I'm now working on the crossmembers & waiting for the mold for the keel weight to cure(it's taking forever for the spackle to cure!) so I can pour the lead keel.
Nov 08, 2011, 08:50 PM
Looking good.

Ed
Dec 03, 2011, 09:45 PM
Some more progress on the hull.

The lead keel is now ready for a light coat of primer & some more sanding before the final coat of Envirotex on the hull. I would have shown the "bare" keel weight "casting", but it was so crappy looking, I was embarassed to show it, but the end result is 3 lbs. of lead as far down as it can be Bondo can hide many a mistake!! It's attached to the rest of the keel with 2 stainless steel bolts.

I've also finished the deck framing & the attachment points for the sheets below deck.

After seeing Ricks(Fairwind900) 1st sail with his 36" "J", I now know about what size rig to build

Erle
Dec 03, 2011, 10:46 PM
Keep up the great work!
Dec 03, 2011, 10:52 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Looking good.