Aug 26, 2011, 08:06 AM
Thread OP
Video

Snowfox 20 canard for 6400

20" ws canard pusher based on the firefox. i watched 1 flying but, as i could not get 1, i decided to design 1 with approximate proportions, and larger.
it is made of 5mm depron for wing, canard and fuselage keel, 3mm for top and side fuse, 1mm for elevons. 1mm cf rods on wing, canard and fuse.
1015 motor with kenway gear box, gws 6/3 prop.
6400 brick, 240mah single hyperion cell.
there are pictures in my blog
Last edited by phil alvirez; Aug 29, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2011, 06:02 AM
I got FPV fever
Well done and it seems to fly well. Flying with nose up tho - under powered?

Looks good in the air and NOT flying like a rocket as many small models do
Aug 28, 2011, 08:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar07
Well done and it seems to fly well. Flying with nose up tho - under powered?

Looks good in the air and NOT flying like a rocket as many small models do
thanks. it is the prototype, and is larger than the firefox, so i was not sure of the cg. i got some advice but it started very tail heavy and sometimes suddenly fell as a leaf, so i began adding weight to the nose until began to fly nicely. still, after the video, i added more weight to the nose, as it still was showing symptoms of tail heaviness. now it weighs 81 grams with all the ballast i had to add for balance, but the 1015 geared seems to handle it well, at about 75% throttle. and am making a new 1 taking in consideration where it likes the cg to be, so i will distribute the components as to not to need extra weight for balance. the idea is to take advantage of the canard's ability to fly slower than conventionals, as i like planes as slow as possible. so far, my snowflake beats all, but i have hopes that these canards will do even slower. keep in touch and we''ll see.
Aug 28, 2011, 08:04 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Wow, what an awesome design Phil! Look like it's very stable too. Well done!
Aug 28, 2011, 08:10 AM
Thread OP

work-in-process

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
Wow, what an awesome design Phil! Look like it's very stable too. Well done!
thanks, gambler. i am using the step to add stability and slow it down too, for i don't want it for breaking any speed record but the opposite.
as i said before, i watched 1 firefox flying and was amazed by how slow it flies, but was unable to get a kit, so i decided to make 1 based on that 1, just larger, and the proportions are by eye only, making adjustments to match the materials at hand. at the beginning the cg was too far aft and it used to fall like a leaf unexpectedly until i began to add weight to the nose. see previous post.
am working on another to replace it, with a better distribution of components and a longer nose moment-and some changes in structure to make it lighter.
Aug 28, 2011, 10:37 AM
I got FPV fever
Thanx Phil for updating me. Yep, I do like flying at scale speed too hence your model caught my eye. Falling out of sky is a sure indicator of tip stall so obviously bringing CofG forward has improved its flying. This hobby is very scientific as you know and you can't defy science without paying the penalty

Please keep us updated.

I'm off to testing OD 52" BAE Hawk - as used by the famous RAF Red Arrows display team.

Cheers
Anup
Aug 28, 2011, 01:11 PM
Thread OP

main wing stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar07
Thanx Phil for updating me. Yep, I do like flying at scale speed too hence your model caught my eye. Falling out of sky is a sure indicator of tip stall so obviously bringing CofG forward has improved its flying. This hobby is very scientific as you know and you can't defy science without paying the penalty

Please keep us updated.

I'm off to testing OD 52" BAE Hawk - as used by the famous RAF Red Arrows display team.

Cheers
Anup
thanks for your comments. well, it was not tip stall: it was the whole wing! it just stopped in midair and began to do the leave's fall. no penetration at all. and if a canard does that, it means that the canard is not stalling first, which is what canards are known for. so, when this happens means that it is tail heavy. very tail heavy.
regards
Aug 28, 2011, 03:40 PM
I got FPV fever
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez
thanks for your comments. well, it was not tip stall: it was the whole wing! it just stopped in midair and began to do the leave's fall. no penetration at all. and if a canard does that, it means that the canard is not stalling first, which is what canards are known for. so, when this happens means that it is tail heavy. very tail heavy.
regards
He ... he ... forgot your model is a canard... thanx for correcting me.

Cheers
Anup
Aug 29, 2011, 11:41 AM
phil, is there a construction thread for either the snowfox or firefox ?

Looking for pics of the finished model.
Aug 29, 2011, 01:40 PM
Thread OP

pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by wim5150
phil, is there a construction thread for either the snowfox or firefox ?

Looking for pics of the finished model.
i haven't started a construction thread yet, but as soon as i have all the details fixed, i will.
there are pics in my blog.
Sep 01, 2011, 12:59 PM
Thread OP

videos

now there are videos of this and the other canard. see my blog.
Sep 06, 2011, 06:03 PM
I got FPV fever
Sorry Phil but I'm having difficulty in down loading the vid. Is it possible to have it in wmv. file or via YouTube?

Thanks
Anup
Sep 06, 2011, 06:23 PM
Thread OP

please use real player

To view videos
Please use real player with quicktime installed
Thanks

Quick Reply