Sep 17, 2011, 01:16 PM
Use the flybar young Padawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Some people just aren't Walkera types and some shouldn't even be in this hobby.. If any hobby at all as they just don't seem to understand what a hobby is..
lol i recall me being one of them . my cap on the board broke and after someone here told me and how to fix it i was pissing and moaning too. mine broke after the FIRST flight it just fell right out of the sky . i called wow and they said basically tuff S....
i wont touch any micro in general with any 3in1 or 4 in 1 board because they are prone to failer.
i fly my 250 ,450 500 and soon a 700 with out any kind of failer.

perfect example is the ga250 gyro , it works , to a point when you start flying 3D it will wag and tail bounce when pushed hard . assan will update the gyro but you need to pay shipping , for a 10.00 gyro and then shipping it back is more time and money . you would be better cutting your losses and get a real gyro . and from what i hear the only update is to make it compatable with analog servos .

like magic said , there is no support so if it breaks either toss it or fix it and pay more money .

personally i dont care what you do with your cash, to me thats another 600 i could of gotten, but at least when you post and get this be honest on your review
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2011, 01:20 PM
♘ Heli's Lives Matter ♘

Change it had to come.......

HR, how do you know what many others thought or understood when they read my post?

Did you read the response in the other thread when it was mentioned about "working" for a dealer? Denial, and thats a little stretch dont you think? You've been here awhile so maybe you know and are ok with the way things get done here, your not sitting where I am and from my vantage point. And that is your choice, this is what I see as an accurate response to what I've witnessed here lately. Let those that feel the need to defend themselves, defend themselves. There are many on both sides of the camp now.

Honestly, and you know it...... the next thing thats coming here is the motor upgrade for this Genius heli and the associated CnC upgrade parts. Guess who will sell them and who will do the raving reviews. I'll see you there when it comes ......

Thats if there isn't a major problem revealed with this model, have you seen how many configurations it comes in? You may only have one of those setups. So whats wrong with a little caution so you "Dont get fooled again" ey my Brit mate?

Ideally, all the genious heli's different config's should be thouroughly tested and reviewed before going up for sale. That would be the honorable way to do a review for a store. Not sell first - review later - and then have a "sale" on V1 While waiting for V2. The Tx in some cases is firmware upgradeable but the RX's are not. It's good to have a balance to all the hype .

Someone should be thanking you, not the other way around.

[QUOTE=Hellraser;19343529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post

I don't think heliflyers post told me and many others much we did not already know Yes Darryl has a link with WOW he has never hid the fact - Yes with his experience and knowledge he sometimes mediates on our behalf to help get any wrinkles ironed out on new products - is it better having someone to fight our corner - or a case where blade grips are flying off left right and center and the company claiming its not happening until the evidence is far too great for them to ignore.

Thanks Darryl for all your hard work on our behalf and have always found you honest in your reviews - You do the other hobbyists a great service.

Regards David
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Sep 17, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Sep 17, 2011, 01:26 PM
Things that do fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I break stuff,,, stuff just breaks, wears out, or needs some mods etc.. I guess I'm lucky as my life long hobby and what I get the most enjoyment out of doing my whole life is fixing things, houses, cars, boats, trucks, airplane and my models..

Being in the modeling hobby for over 50 years off and on I have always come back to it as it's the most enjoyable hobby to me.. And the micro heli world is the best it gets as not only can I fly without having to go anywhere but I get lots of things to fix or try and find ways to keep them from breaking.. And then testing my work again without having to drive anyplace.. OK might have to move the wife's car and my truck down the driveway a ways but still better than having to pack up the truck and driving a hour to a flying field.. And there is the lower cost of repairs..

Another great thing that I'm now enjoying is following and buying Walkera and their new state of the art micro models and talking about them on here..

Do I believe all the hype NO, do I trust everything I read NO.. Heck I sometime don't even trust what I post... Do I enjoy chatting with most of you guys and the fun most of us have had together over the years on here heck YES... It's my hobby I treat it as a hobby..

I try and give my honest point of view on things as I have nothing to gain or lose by pushing a product as being good or saying a product isn't as good as it should be or even a POS.. I just try and let others know my experience with it..

Sometimes like with the V100D03 I just haven't had the time to really fly it and fix it right to even say anything good or bad about it so as many of you might have noticed I have been silent about it lately..

What will happen with this one I'll just have to wait and see.. Might be a great heli out of the box and stay that way and/or might turn into another mCPX..

As I can afford more than one or two new heli's a year I tend to like buying the new ones as I enjoy the rush of placing a order and waiting for it to be shipped and then following it across the country to my doorstep just as much as the first flight and the first crash and spare parts order... And of course sharing all this with you guys...
Good job your not a woman,,you would have 200 pairs of red shoes and a credit card problem lol
Sep 17, 2011, 01:34 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Good job your not a woman,,you would have 200 pairs of red shoes and a credit card problem lol
That's my wife's hobby... Nope no credit card problem haven't ever had a carry over balance.. They pay me to use their cards.. I don't give them a dime..
Sep 17, 2011, 01:37 PM
Things that do fly
I really dont get all this stress with helis and stuff that breaks?,,,my first love is planes,sport and war birds,,,you make one mistake with a balsa plane and its either in the bin or you spend many hours with wood and glue,then you have to recover the plane or it looks like a piece of crap,may crash on its maiden take off and not even see 1 flight before its in the bin,,,if you break a heli its just bolt a new piece on and off you go again,,,if it works out of the box and then you break it ,,,its your fault,,helis are easy man,,,,just my opinion though.
Sep 17, 2011, 01:41 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
I really dont get all this stress with helis and stuff that breaks?,,,my first love is planes,sport and war birds,,,you make one mistake with a balsa plane and its either in the bin or you spend many hours with wood and glue,then you have to recover the plane or it looks like a piece of crap,may crash on its maiden take off and not even see 1 flight before its in the bin,,,if you break a heli its just bolt a new piece on and off you go again,,,if it works out of the box and then you break it ,,,its your fault,,helis are easy man,,,,just my opinion though.

Most just have no idea how good we have it now compared to the old days.. It's this new plug and play or sue generation...
Sep 17, 2011, 03:08 PM
<Marty>
Quote:

agreed....i started flying planes back in 1989 and wow has things changed...used to be all you could get as far as planes was a box of balsa and blue prints....i remember before they started laser cutting the pieces and they were not as clean cut as the when the laser cut kits came out....used to be some what the same in the heli department ...i learned to fly on a nitro cp Kyosho Concept 30 ...was a beast compared to the little electric heli's we have now days....had a 42inch rotor span and you talk about scary...when it was flying the blades looked like a solid white disc...and almost every crash averaged at least $100.00 ....but i did learn to fly it and flew it many years before i sold it on Ebay....would still have it but parts were getting hard to find .....but it was so stable cause it was so big i could only imagine how stable it could be with a Walkera 3 axis rx in it.....you could set it to a hover and prolly go inside and take a beer break.....lol
Sep 17, 2011, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
agreed....i started flying planes back in 1989 and wow has things changed...used to be all you could get as far as planes was a box of balsa and blue prints....i remember before they started laser cutting the pieces and they were not as clean cut as the when the laser cut kits came out....used to be some what the same in the heli department ...i learned to fly on a nitro cp Kyosho Concept 30 ...was a beast compared to the little electric heli's we have now days....had a 42inch rotor span and you talk about scary...when it was flying the blades looked like a solid white disc...and almost every crash averaged at least $100.00 ....but i did learn to fly it and flew it many years before i sold it on Ebay....would still have it but parts were getting hard to find .....but it was so stable cause it was so big i could only imagine how stable it could be with a Walkera 3 axis rx in it.....you could set it to a hover and prolly go inside and take a beer break.....lol
Yes them were the days box of balsa a blue print and tissue paper and dope but you did usually get a nice big rubber band - to wind and wind and wind LOL

Regards David
Sep 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
♘ Heli's Lives Matter ♘
I tell ya I was 10 or 11 years old when I built my first balsa plane with my father in 1980. And used to buy the rubber powered planes by the handful at a corner store in the city here. A lifelong experience of awesome flying memories.....Thanks for the flashback HR Now I've started to do the same with my son although he is much younger.

I'm strictly heli's now, and have gone through about 40 of them, many of them Walkera's. It's true back then things were a lot simpler. A battery, cox motor, some gas, and your index finger to start it up with. Then a line control to fly was really archaic compared to what we have today.

The new guys dont have to wind and wind and wind, unless they want......you can still get the rubber powered balsa planes at the LHS. Now they just can read and understand from the comfort of their homes what is put before them, so they can decide for themselves.

Here is to the newbie or as they say Cheers to them....
Sep 17, 2011, 04:14 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAllyn View Post
You're obviously correct. However, there IS the 6-axis mode, which Walkera is marketing towards beginner pilots. There's been speculation in this very thread that the 6-axis mode would dumb down the heli to the point that it'd be easy to fly, a bit like the sk720 rx (auto-leveling and requiring constant cyclic input to maintain a heading). Having flown the V120D01, which is very definitely dumbed down with it's virtual flybar, I thought I'd give the genius a shot, hoping that it'd have a similar level of stability and control in 6-axis mode. And... quickly learned that it's a very different little beast. ::shrug:: You live and you learn.

I now have a pitch curve setup that gives very little negative pitch; just enough to plant it firmly when lading/taking. I've also found that I prefer to fly it in the 3-axis mode with my ELE and AIL rates set to about 75%; it feels quite similar to my V100D01 when setup like this. The 6-axis mode has that left/backwards drift that others have mentioned that requires a significant amount of trim to balance out.

The 6-axis mode feels odd. I have an MSR, a v100D01 and a V120D02 and it doesn't really behave like any of them in this mode. It very definitely does NOT auto-level the heli, as others have speculated that it might; apply forward cyclic and the Genius will keep going forward until you apply the opposite cyclic or it hits the plasma television (at least within the confines of my living room). Once you manually park the heli in a given space (assuming it's trimmed out), it does a good job of sticking to that space and can even do slow pirouettes with very minimal cyclic input. The flight characteristics of the 6-axis mode just feel a little weird, tho and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Maybe someone with more experience can spend some time flying the Genius in 6-axis mode and break down exactly what it's doing?

Hi Scott,
I liked the 6 axis once trimmed when flying the heli in my small living room.
It is very precice and easy to fly scale type moves with the 6 axis turned on.
But it appears that the left and back drift is popular with this heli when 6 axis is turned on. For me,that is not a big issue. I just trim if forward a few clicks and to the right about 3/4 trim before taking off and then trim once out of ground effect.
I tried flying it at sunset yesterday in a bit of wind with the 6 axis on.
Not a great idea because it seams to be as good as a coax heli with the 6 axis turned on in the wind.
So,I turned it back to 3 axis and was very impressed how I could zip around the front yard taking stupid risks. There was a policeman booking a driver across the road and it had his attention.Iam not sure if the little Genius had his attention,or if he was worried about me giggling like a kid as I zipped the heli around Either way,I would just land my other helis if the wind was that strong,but I guess I got an extra experience point due to this heli being stronger.
My one has hit the ground a couple of times and Iam glad Walkera has used a more forgiving flexi plastic. No breakages yet.
Regards Jason
Sep 17, 2011, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
I tell ya I was 10 or 11 years old when I built my first balsa plane with my father in 1980. And used to buy the rubber powered planes by the handful at a corner store in the city here. A lifelong experience of awesome flying memories.....Thanks for the flashback HR Now I've started to do the same with my son although he is much younger.

I'm strictly heli's now, and have gone through about 40 of them, many of them Walkera's. It's true back then things were a lot simpler. A battery, cox motor, some gas, and your index finger to start it up with. Then a line control to fly was really archaic compared to what we have today.

The new guys dont have to wind and wind and wind, unless they want......you can still get the rubber powered balsa planes at the LHS. Now they just can read and understand from the comfort of their homes what is put before them, so they can decide for themselves.

Here is to the newbie or as they say Cheers to them....
Yes you are over 20 years younger than me LOL my first rubber band model was in the 60's .... but I welcome the newbies and the input of a lot younger people who put a new perspective on things we are never too old to learn and out of the mouths of babes often comes great insights - sometimes we old sods cannot see the wood for the trees

Regards David
Sep 17, 2011, 04:21 PM
<Marty>
maybe the drift could be rectified by binding it differently? try binding it with the 6 axis on....if that don't work try binding it in 3 axis mode then switch to 6 axis....if all else fails bind it with something under the rear left skid to slightly tile it forwards to the right and maybe the gyros will then level out the swash once binded....
Sep 17, 2011, 04:31 PM
<Marty>
Hmmm...i guess wowhobbies must not like my money or just don't need it....lol...i tried to pre-order a Genius with the Devo 7 and the order got canceled....i tried it 3 times and every time it got canceled, so i ended up using the "in store" at the checkout page.So now i have to call them Monday and give my card info over the phone....what sux is they told me the devo 7 wouldn't be available until mid to late Oct...so i ordered a Genius for my 2801 and now i see they are going to have them with the Devo 7 on 9-22.....so now i am going to have 2 of them i guess....oh well i guess i will leave one as a stocker and mod the he11 out of the other one....
Sep 17, 2011, 05:42 PM
It is kind of funny how some people take every piece of hype or marketing BS as fact.

I'm one of these 'new hobbyists'. The first time I flew a heli was a couple months ago. I've progressed... sort of. However, I'm mostly in it for the fun of the micros. The fact that they can get these tiny models to do what they do just amazes me. I'm somewhat older, I'm 43, and I don't know what I'm getting into with the Genius CP, but from what I've heard and seen, it's not a stretch to think that it really may just be easier for a transitioning pilot than say the mCPX. The fact is, the 450's just intimidate me for various reasons, so I chose the Genius.

Do I believe all the hype? No. I fully realize that it's a new and relatively untested CP. And no matter what good/bad one can say, the obvious speaks for itself. It seems to have quite a bit of potential, and it does seem to come with a newer generation of electronics. Honestly, I'm pretty old school. I see the trim pots on the PC board and I'm like... "yay, something I'm familiar with".

Anyway, just rambling. :P I know I'm taking a leap of faith buying a brand new product that hasn't even been introduced to most retail channels yet, but I'm willing to take the chance. I may not ever be able to fly it, however I might and it looks far more appealing than buying a 450 class and if for chance the 6 channel gyro does help things a little bit, I'll welcome that little help with dumb thumbs.

I'm looking forward to owning this little bird. Maybe it'll be pure win, maybe I'll be highly dissapointed. Either way, I don't want to wait to find out and I'm willing to take the gamble.

And I'm starting to get really damn impatient now. lol

Edit: Oh, and I will agree... this new age of PNP/BNF/RTF is what got me back into RC. When I was semi-seriously racing 1/10th off-road, you couldn't touch a RC heli without thousands of dollars... One idiot accidentally turning on their radio could ruin all the fun for you. These new electronics are just amazing.
Sep 17, 2011, 06:21 PM
Guys,
Let's not forget a few things....
It's only a helicopter
No one making a living in the industry is doing anything but trying to feed there families and make money I a competitive environment.......exactly as it should be.
Anything done in this hobby that falls within the bounds of conventional conduct that we accept as being ethical in other industries should be any different here. Another words i certainly wouldn't slam the Toyota pickup salesman if while test driving it, he hits the throttle, we go over a big bump, he sais "ya man, Toyota trucks are industructable!"
Now I understand that conventional communication, especially taken from someone referring to something that they sell, are prone to using extremes to convey a trait as being exceptional in relationship to similar products.
So when the Toyota salesman hits a bump hard and it doesn't unsettle the car and he refers to it as "indestructible". I don't need a disclaimer or disclosure form to know that he means.....very rubes in relationship to other similar products!!!!!
I also will not stare in amazement, look stunned and hurt, nor be angry and deceived, when the "indestructible truck, after being hit by a train, is in fact destroyed.
Why is this, how come I don't think the salesman was dishonest and a lyre.....
Because I am not an idiot!
This is a small high stress flying machine with lots of small parts.... Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone....but i never thought it could not brake. Even during normal, but extreme operation.
COME ON! Let's give it a brake, did anyone really think that walkera somehow defied the laws of physics here!
No , the title means to me. "this thing is small, and compared to other rc helicopters, more durable". Because I our world........that's exactly what was meant..,.period
Also, just because someone with a financial interest started the thread, is I no way unethical, and in no way means that that person was an employee of walkera. So let's remember the standards that are reasonable to uphold people in this industry to are the same as any other commercial industry,the people making there living doing this are not teachers, priests, rabbis, or unisef volunteers, so why do we assume some moral code of conduct that only allies to saints and marters

Quick Reply