New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:53 PM
Hajile is online now
Find More Posts by Hajile
Registered User
I'm kinda worried about the wear i've been putting on the wires leading to the battery. I'm thinking of reinforcing it by covering it in hot glue and making the bend less pronounced, but not sure how it'll handle the heat.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:56 AM
ShellFish31 is offline
Find More Posts by ShellFish31
Registered User
Hey,

same problem here - i've covered the cables near the plug in hotglue (if you have a regulated gun, no problem - else, my bosch hotglue gun gets quite hot and i've smeared it on in its hottest state - to no damage) and wrapped the rest in tight heatshrink. This prohibits bending a bit more for most of the cable as well as totally eliminates bending where it does most damage - at the connection to the plug.

Regards
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:16 AM
bobfa is offline
Find More Posts by bobfa
Registered User
bobfa's Avatar
A small tie wrap works great.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
Jetboatftw is offline
Find More Posts by Jetboatftw
Registered User
Since winter is coming i decided to dust off my genius cp.
I bought two last winter and i fried 1 of them after about 10 batteries by connecting the batterty the wrong way. So now i took out the other one just to find my tx was broken, ruined the lipo that was in it and it wont turn on. So i got my other tx(lucky for me i though my first genius was lost in the mail) and watched finless videos on setting it up again.

Now heres the new problem, if flew fine for one battery. On the second battery it flew fine for about a minute then it started spinning clockwise when i tried to take off and makes a sqreetching sound. If i leave it for 20 minutes and try again it does the same ting, fine for a minute then it starts to spin. I should note that it seems to spin up fine to a certain point when it goes in to a violent clockwise spin. From what i read it should be a counter clockwise spin if the tailmotor was going bad.

Made a thread but it seems like i disapperating so i thought i would post it here to https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1733063
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
magic_marty is offline
Find More Posts by magic_marty
<Marty>
sounds like a bad bearing or could be the bushings in the motor/motors...if its been sitting a long time and wasent lubed then the bearings are probably dry ...try adding a tiny bit of machine oil or triflow to the bearing and on both ends of the motor shafts...(just a tiny bit)
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:48 PM
livonia bob is offline
Find More Posts by livonia bob
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboatftw View Post
Since winter is coming i decided to dust off my genius cp.
I bought two last winter and i fried 1 of them after about 10 batteries by connecting the batterty the wrong way. So now i took out the other one just to find my tx was broken, ruined the lipo that was in it and it wont turn on. So i got my other tx(lucky for me i though my first genius was lost in the mail) and watched finless videos on setting it up again.

Now heres the new problem, if flew fine for one battery. On the second battery it flew fine for about a minute then it started spinning clockwise when i tried to take off and makes a sqreetching sound. If i leave it for 20 minutes and try again it does the same ting, fine for a minute then it starts to spin. I should note that it seems to spin up fine to a certain point when it goes in to a violent clockwise spin. From what i read it should be a counter clockwise spin if the tailmotor was going bad.

Made a thread but it seems like i disapperating so i thought i would post it here to https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1733063
Main motor problem, might just need oiling or pinion is slipping on the motor's shaft. If a brushless motor check that the bell is still tight on the shaft..
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:38 PM
Jetboatftw is offline
Find More Posts by Jetboatftw
Registered User
Yes you are right it was the motor, swapped it for the old one since i coulnt see anything else wrong and now it works fine. Will try to revive the broken one with oil but im swapping to brushless soon so i can fly without taking 5 minute cooldowns between each battery. Do you think i have to swap the tail too? Last time i was reading about this a brushless tail was pretty much useless, atleast with the kit.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:42 PM
livonia bob is offline
Find More Posts by livonia bob
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboatftw View Post
Yes you are right it was the motor, swapped it for the old one since i coulnt see anything else wrong and now it works fine. Will try to revive the broken one with oil but im swapping to brushless soon so i can fly without taking 5 minute cooldowns between each battery. Do you think i have to swap the tail too? Last time i was reading about this a brushless tail was pretty much useless, atleast with the kit.
I think a brushless tail makes the heli to heavy.. Best is having two stock powered ones and just switching between them every flight..
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:51 PM
Hajile is online now
Find More Posts by Hajile
Registered User
From what i've read. Brushless is more efficient, but takes too long to spool up/down. When it gets a command from the gyro to speed up, by the time it spools up the tail had already drifted further off. The gyro panicks and tells it to add more power even tho the tail is just getting the speed to compensate for the original drift. By the time the tail gets up to the new required speed, it had already overshot the original position and the gyro just goes nuts. The result is a very bad tail wag.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:09 AM
leonggyooi is offline
Find More Posts by leonggyooi
Registered User
hi... what is the best picth curve with best flight time and doesnt hurt the motor for indoor normal flying for GCP? I'm using a devo8s.. I noticed the motor starts to bog down when the pitch is too high after 50% throttle..currently i have mine from 0% to 60% pitch curve..

looks ok now..i set it to higher throttle output and pitch curve which is about 4.5 mins flight before the power gets low with stock bat..

throttle curve - 0, inh, 50, 70, inh, 90, 100 (exp on)
pitch curve - 30, inh, 40, 50, inh, 70, 80 (exp on)
Last edited by leonggyooi; Sep 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:28 AM
Flo38 is offline
Find More Posts by Flo38
Registered User
Hi,

I have a second Genius CP (the first one is perfectly working)

It's a second hand.

I received it this morning, and powered it on with the same model on my DEVO 8. The only difference is that I put fixed id off on the TX.

First, I saw smoke. Apparently elevator servo. Now it stays blocked in maximum position, whatever the position I give it before powering on the heli.

But I wanted to try the motor. So I moved the motor stick, and it worked. But when I wanted to stop the motor, moving the stick down, the motor kept turning. I had difficulties to power off the heli...

Last try, Throttle cut. I enabled it, disabled it (with the rudder D/R button). Heard a motor song. I enabled it again (so throttle is normally cut), and then motor started turning... And stop when I disabled TC. I could repeat it a lot of time...

It's the double brushless kit from Walkera. I have a hp03s on my first Genius. Does anyone know what is happenning ?

Thank you
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:46 AM
Crash Survivor is offline
Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Heli Crash Survivor
Crash Survivor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo38 View Post
Hi,

I have a second Genius CP (the first one is perfectly working)

It's a second hand.

I received it this morning, and powered it on with the same model on my DEVO 8. The only difference is that I put fixed id off on the TX.

First, I saw smoke. Apparently elevator servo. Now it stays blocked in maximum position, whatever the position I give it before powering on the heli.

But I wanted to try the motor. So I moved the motor stick, and it worked. But when I wanted to stop the motor, moving the stick down, the motor kept turning. I had difficulties to power off the heli...

Last try, Throttle cut. I enabled it, disabled it (with the rudder D/R button). Heard a motor song. I enabled it again (so throttle is normally cut), and then motor started turning... And stop when I disabled TC. I could repeat it a lot of time...

It's the double brushless kit from Walkera. I have a hp03s on my first Genius. Does anyone know what is happenning ?

Thank you
Unplug elevator servo & try it.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:31 AM
Flo38 is offline
Find More Posts by Flo38
Registered User
I changed it for another ( a bit dangerous I guess, but...)

And now it's working. For TC apparently it was because the level was -5%. At 0% it seems to work.

But what happened ?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:59 AM
RaymondM is online now
Find More Posts by RaymondM
Multirotor Promotor
RaymondM's Avatar
Just bought 5 of the Turnigy Nano Techs 300mah 45-90c for my Genius. It is advised to change the connector around so that the polarities will be the same. I plan on adding micro deans connectors to these batteries. My question is this: when I cut off the original connectors the wires from the batteries, red and black, are black negative and red positive right? Don't want to start a fire or burn out the board. Thanks for listening to such a dumb but have to ask question.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:07 AM
leonggyooi is offline
Find More Posts by leonggyooi
Registered User
do u think a Rustler or GCP is faster? LOL...now im into offroad too...


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion smallest lightest 10-12mp camera? cdi3d Aerial Photography 16 Apr 27, 2011 10:36 PM
Article Think Geek's MX-1 RTF Helicopter Review: Is it the World's smallest R/C helicopter? Michael Heer Coaxial Helicopters 27 Oct 29, 2008 09:43 AM
The lightest 3D belt driven micro electric helicopter in the world--------ELE Firefox ELE kiki Product Announcements 42 Aug 28, 2007 12:49 AM
Discussion ELE firefox-100, flying weight 180g-the lightest 3D helicopter in the world. ELERC Mini Helis 11 Jun 21, 2007 09:17 AM