Aug 24, 2011, 10:04 PM
GliderPilot
Thread OP
Discussion

Multiplex EASY STAR

Well after much debaiting and reading many threads about this bird, thought why not give one a try. I had been looking @ a close version of this until I found a really great deal on a Easy Star w/added brushless motor and ESC.
I have already purchased numerous gliders and or sailplanes, which ever suits your fancy.
I am still on the learning curve and thought this would be a good trainer to learn flying a glider on.
I will post my build of this when I receive, that is also another neat thing I like about Multiplex, you assemble the plane, and you are afforded the ability to do as you like w/o tearing down, which is not sooo easy sometimes w/foam!
And yes I know much has been said already about this very well documented airframe, but not from me
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2011, 11:18 PM
Toy Flyer
And you are going to provide insight not covered by threads like https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1363621

Fly safe, Glover
Aug 25, 2011, 06:08 AM
GliderPilot
Thread OP
No, that has already been said, but for the benefit of those who do not know those threads exist and for what has become new since.
But if you feel I should not add I will stop this thread here.
Aug 25, 2011, 11:30 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Go ahead, Rick, continue with your thread, there's no problem, every RCGgroups member has the privilege to start any kind of thread that they choose, just as long as the content is in compliance with RCGroups.com posting guidelines, that's it. So Post away!

Doubletap <RCGroups.com veteran member and Lifelong RC Addict!
Aug 25, 2011, 05:20 PM
GliderPilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
Go ahead, Rick, continue with your thread, there's no problem, every RCGgroups member has the privilege to start any kind of thread that they choose, just as long as the content is in compliance with RCGroups.com posting guidelines, that's it. So Post away!

Doubletap <RCGroups.com veteran member and Lifelong RC Addict!
Thank you for your kindness, I was afraid I had stepped on a toe.
Aug 25, 2011, 05:22 PM
GliderPilot
Thread OP
PS: Thread was started alittle over 20 hours ago and has already had 59 hits, somebody must be interested still in this basic yet very advanced airframe.
Aug 25, 2011, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhensley
PS: Thread was started alittle over 20 hours ago and has already had 59 hits, somebody must be interested still in this basic yet very advanced airframe.

Right On!! Carry On!
Aug 25, 2011, 07:16 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
Would be nice to see an Easy Star thread where they talk about..... the Easy Star.

Lord knows how sidetracked they get on the big one

There great planes, I have 3 myself.
Aug 25, 2011, 08:36 PM
GliderPilot
Thread OP
I agree, so help and teach someone just getting into them what their secrets are and what you think about these as you said 3 birds you own. I want to see as many as are willing to in-put their wealth of knowledge about this lady as they are will to share. Thanks for your in-put.
Aug 25, 2011, 10:23 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
No secrets on this here Inter-web!

My powered Easystars both get:

Increased rudder size: Simply grab a tupperware lid when your wife isn't looking and cut a bigger shaped rudder from it. CA to the original rudder.

Brush-less system: 2000KV Inrunners are built for this bird. Use a 6x4 APC and be done with it.

Belly protection: I use water bottle plastic cut and glues to bottom of the fuselage only where it contacts the ground. Source a 1 gallon square type water bottle from local grocer (strike????) and cut to fit.
Your EZ* will slide like its on ice and taxi like it has wheels!

Wing retention: I use 1 magnet where the wings join together. After a while and a few mishaps the wings will start to slide apart.

Fuselage connectivity: I use very little CA when putting the fuselage together. Only a little at the factory nubs and use clear packing tape elsewhere. This makes splitting the fuse very easy(*) later.

If you ever get the urge to slope a EZ* without a power system (Motor, ESC and big battery) a 600Mah NiMh in the nose will get your CG spot on!
This slope glider is capable of flying in very light lift when others are grounded!

Acrylic paint from WallyWorlds craft section is a easy(*) way to brighten up your plane for high altitude use.
Aug 25, 2011, 10:25 PM

My Easy Stars

Well, I have 2 Easy Stars and several EZStar style planes. My first easy star was a damaged box RTF item obtained from Hobby People's annual sidewalk sale 6 years ago for $25. I never flown it stock but immediately upgraded it to brushless/lipo power, and flew it that way a few years until I again modified it by adding ailerons 3 years ago, that really made the Easy come alive! My other Easy is still in kit form waiting to be built....it will be built similarly like my first but will be stock RET 3 channel but with the same brushless setup and with an array of LED lights specifically for night flying.
Aug 25, 2011, 10:45 PM
GliderPilot
Thread OP
Wow great stuff already, stock is fine and modified is Ok too.
This is the stuff I am looking for. I have a brushless set coming w/the kit, 1320fastback the tips about glue/tape was a great tip and the plastic on the bottom is one I am sure many will use not only on this bird, but any other type as well.
And we are still w/the subject matter too boot.
doubletap, when you build, do you think you may do a turtorial of your build and share with us.
I also like the paint tip very much too. I have learned one important thing about sailplanes, color in the right place will save the day!
Aug 26, 2011, 01:11 PM
I fly my EZ Star with an in runner brush less. And usually fly it as a sailplane. With a 2100 3 cell it is not hard to get 1 hour flights. Just get up high and catch the thermals.

The only other modification that I have on my EZ is an extended rudder. The extended rudder makes it turn on a dime.

I do have another EZ completely ready to go. Just need to somehow destroy the one I currently fly.

Todd
Aug 26, 2011, 04:04 PM
My EZ* has stock motor and runs off 7 cell nimh battery. No need to enlarge the rudder if you like nice graceful turns. But if ugly skidded, height diminishing turns are your thing, then get your credit card out...and nail it to your tail.
Aug 26, 2011, 07:06 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__
My EZ* has stock motor and runs off 7 cell nimh battery. No need to enlarge the rudder if you like nice graceful turns. But if ugly skidded, height diminishing turns are your thing, then get your credit card out...and nail it to your tail.
Many guys like the way the EZ flies with the rudder extension mod. They don't report that it results in "ugly skidded, height diminishing turns".

Quick Reply