Aug 24, 2011, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

The Official AirWare Q&A Thread

I didn't want to have to do this, but I guess it's become necessary.

Since the other DX8 threads have gone to pot, I'm starting this one. Any arguing or trolling with other posters will simply mean you'll be reported. If it gets out of hand, I'll just close the thread. Capiche?

So, ask your AirWare questions. Don't ask about RF, receivers, servos, or future products, OK? Those are outside my domain.

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2011, 07:38 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
I responded to a member not too long ago about 2.03 having minor programming issue and if he wanted he could revert back to 2.01 BUT with that said 2.01 had issues that got corrected with 2.03

Now when the latest update comes out does the previous update get some sort of fix and someone could re-download that previous version FREE of issue but not include the added features of 2.03?

2.03 is labeled BETA so does that mean 2.01 is safe and has ZERO issues?
Aug 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
No, it means that the known issues in 2.01 are documented in the PDF file that goes with the next release, version 2.03Beta. Same with 1.04 - the known issues are documented in the 2.01 PDF (which, btw, is page 2 of the 2.03 PDF, and so on).

That's the standard way of doing releases.

Andy
Aug 24, 2011, 07:51 PM
So Spektrum™ DX8 AirWare™ Version 2.03 Beta Beta being possible issues.

AND

Spektrum™ DX8 AirWare™ Version 2.01 Stable and stable just means that the issues or now documented but the Airware itself still has issues.

So when someone ask if its a good idea to upgrade to 2.03 for fear of issues. Then it becomes a matter of using either one Airware with documented issues and with with un-documented issues.

Trading one set of issues for another basicaly at this point being that issue/s was found in 2.03.
Aug 24, 2011, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
Correct. Just like Linux. I'm still running Fedora 8 because there is no compelling feature that I need in anything newer.

Andy
Aug 24, 2011, 09:05 PM
Yesterday I was setting up a new model(gasser) and had an issue with the throttle. I am running V2.03beta. I was setting up end points and then setting a throttle curve. I don't remember exactly why but I had to turn the system off to restart in the system menu for something. When it rebooted I was checking endpoints on all channels and noticed that the throttle would only go approx 1/2 way. Changing the endpoints had no effect on the throttle channel. I looked at the throttle curve screen and it was all messed up. The points were in the same place but the line on the graph did not go over 1/2 way explaining the throttle problem. Trying to readjust the curve had no effect. The points would move but the line would not. I tried to inhibit and reactivate with no success. Turning the Tx and Rx off and back on did nothing either. I finally decided to try changing to a different model in the TX and then back to my gasser. When I went back to the throttle curve screen, it was fixed. I don't know what caused it or what exactly fixed it but it now works like it is supposed to. I tried to recreate the problem but could not.
Anyone ever experience this type of glitch.
Aug 26, 2011, 08:19 AM
Thread OP
Since the DX8 Trolling Thread is so active today, I'm putting useful information that is somewhat related to a comment over there in this thread, where people might actually find it.

It was mentioned about DMA (Direct Model Access) was entered by pressing the CLEAR and BACK at the same time from the main screen. You can also check for to make sure all your switches are working correctly by holding those same two buttons down during power-up.

Both of these items were mentioned early on in the DX8 thread, but good info can get lost in the noise, so I'm re-posting it here.

Andy
Aug 31, 2011, 03:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRellic
A REAL Model Airplane question.
Is anybody here using the RPM Telemetry on BIG gas engines? I am looking for a better way of utilizing this other than fabricating my own brackets to mount the sensor to read off the ignition hub magnets. My MVVS engines are fairly easy to fabricate a mounting bracket for, but my Desert Aircraft engines are presenting me with a whole different challenge due to their structure. Is it possible that I can tag into my ignition trigger wiring harness and if so has anybody successfully done this and can help me on how to?

Thanks eh
Brian T.

Life would be so simple if I played with electric foam toys but that ain't gonna happen.
1) You don't need to sense at the magnets. You can sense the crank pin at the backplate.

2) I think if you use google you can find threads. They'll likely be on Flying Giants or RCU, not in this radio forum.

3) PM me your e-mail, then you can ask the question via e-mail. I'll forward it. We don't forward forum links for support.

Andy
Aug 31, 2011, 03:31 PM
Quick question regarding rpm sensor for brushless motors. Would the sensor affect the rpm data logging on certain esc with data logging? Do they need to be tuned for proper reading?
Aug 31, 2011, 03:33 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Hi!
I recently bought a DX8 and yesterday I sat down to program the radio for use with an AR6255 in a 4 servo wing hotliner (no rudder btw). Took the Radian Pro setup and reworked it, putting right flap in the gear channel and the other flap in the rudder channel. After some tweaks I have 2 flight modes (std. aileron and full wing aileron with the flaps as slaves) and 3 flap positions (partial flap, full flap and crow). I really like the intuitiveness of the AirWare (I'm on 2.01) and will have a lot of fun with my new radio.

Have a few questions, though:
1) What is backward mixing? Couldn't get my head around that one

2) Why are there so few setups to download from the community? At least HH should have basic setups for every single model they release to the market.

3) Where can I find customized/recommended setups from other RC pilots?

Thanks
Aug 31, 2011, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Quick question regarding rpm sensor for brushless motors. Would the sensor affect the rpm data logging on certain esc with data logging? Do they need to be tuned for proper reading?
That's why you enter Pole Count on the RPM setup screen.

Andy
Aug 31, 2011, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx
Backward or Reverse mixing when you can mix to one channel of a dual setup and get one result and then mix to the other channel and get a different result.
Example: mixing to right aileron in a dual aileron setup RAL will cause them to move a certain way and mixing to the left aileron LAL will cause them work work in the oppisite way they did when mix to RAL. One would have them move like ailerons and the other would have them move like flaps.
Quote:
2) Why are there so few setups to download from the community? At least HH should have basic setups for every single model they release to the market.
Cause it takes time and effort to have someone test them.
Quote:
3) Where can I find customized/recommended setups from other RC pilots? Thanks
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1330755
Aug 31, 2011, 03:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
When you have a multi-surface function such as Dual Aileron, back-mixing takes the mix you apply to one surface and applies it to the other as well. Depending on if you select the right or left side, it will either move the two servos in the same direction or opposite direction.

It's a very clean way of only needing half as many mixes to do the job.

Quote:
Because that's all that the air guys give us. They generate the files to support their products. And they've been pretty good about providing updates for the more complex new models as they go along. If they did the simple ones for you, nobody would ever learn!

Quote:
There's a thread in this forum with "all spm files here" in the title.

Andy
Aug 31, 2011, 03:47 PM
But often down to earth
Quote:
Hi!
I recently bought a DX8 and yesterday I sat down to program the radio for use with an AR6255 in a 4 servo wing hotliner (no rudder btw). Took the Radian Pro setup and reworked it, putting right flap in the gear channel and the other flap in the rudder channel. After some tweaks I have 2 flight modes (std. aileron and full wing aileron with the flaps as slaves) and 3 flap positions (partial flap, full flap and crow). I really like the intuitiveness of the AirWare (I'm on 2.01) and will have a lot of fun with my new radio.

Thanks
You could post a response in this thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...330755&page=15 and say which planes you want a setup file for. If I have one of the planes you list I'll post mine for you. Just realize you may need to make changes. Every plane is a little different.

P.S. Andy, I like this new thread.
Last edited by Floater73; Aug 31, 2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Wow, Did you get some answers FAST!
Aug 31, 2011, 03:53 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Thanx guys!

Quick Reply