This thread is privately moderated by studioRS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 08, 2012, 04:19 PM
Klassische Bilder
Thread OP

Graupner 8x4.5 propeller addition

I've purchased a Graupner 8x4.5 folding propeller, my first German one to boot! WOW what a work of art. Uber light, fine carbon reinforced plastic. The only mod necessary to fit into the ASK-21 hub and spinner was to drill out the bolt holes a little.

In attempts to cool the little 1000kv motor, I carved out some small foam angles on either side. Since I've fibrecloth+CA'ed the fuselage, I can get the area thin, as it is strong. After doing this last night and examining it more in depth, I think I'll be removing the remaining section underneath the motor and add some fibrecloth+CA back onto this. Any un-necessary EPO that can be removed will be good as it acts like a heat insulator too.

On the left side of the motor pointing forward ( or looking at it from the front - your right) the distance between the backplate of the hub and fuselage opening is more pronounced and I'm sure air will circulate and or heat be removed. Also, when removing the foam inside behind the motor bulkhead, has opened up the flow. My canopy has large air gaps in the front (don't really like they way the canopy sits and might build a balsa replacement) so I'm not worried about air getting trapped.
I do however, need to fabricate a large cooling exit under the back part of the fuselage and might sneak in one of my custom kewlartdesign.com fixed landing gear setups.

Using the great calculator above in the links, I've sampled what a stock configuration and the new Graupner 8x4.5 on 3S 1300mAh 20C and created the two charts. Hopefully this helps someone, it sure has with me. Next up is the wattmeter.

to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2012, 04:25 PM
Klassische Bilder
Thread OP

Flying report

Today was 16+ mph gusts, steady at 8mph from the south. Wonderful noise it makes right off the deck on a dive across in front of you, sounds just like the real deal! Tested a few pull-out dives and wings flexed as they should, ZERO tail fin flex - the cloth+CA works great, looks sooo scale!

Mods
- Clothcovered+CA, paint
- Cooling scoop underneath for ESC
- HK Blue 30A ESC
- studiorsdesign.com Suisse sticker set
- ASK-21 spinner, hub
- Graupner 8x4.5 propeller
- Cut wing spar in half, inserted aluminum with dihedral
- 3S 1300mAh, 15C
- HK scale pilot

Needs
- studiorsdesign.com 1/10 Scale sailplane landing gear setup

Last edited by studioRS; Jul 24, 2017 at 03:25 PM.
Jan 08, 2012, 04:28 PM
Klassische Bilder
Thread OP

Mounted an updated motor 2409-12

Here's how I stuffed the 2409-12 into the ASW-28.

I removed the round mount and opened up the center hole of the firewall so I could mount it from behind as the new 2409-12 is longer than the stock DST-1000. Remember, I chopped off about 1/4" (5mm) of the original nose to get the ASK-21 spinner and hub to work.

This is the set-up to make this work and the new motor sounds and feels like it will send this thing vertical !

Sep 30, 2012, 08:29 PM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
nice work on the bird! how does compare to the FMS ASW 28
Feb 09, 2014, 10:55 AM

Thanks

You do not have to let this post if you don't want but I do want to say a big thanks for all the work you did and for sharing all this info. I have one of these planes on order ( back order ) and with your permission I am going to try some of the mods you did. You did a lot of work and I am very impressed.
Thanks again
John Johnston
Feb 10, 2014, 10:02 AM
Klassische Bilder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilotx1
nice work on the bird! how does compare to the FMS ASW 28
The ST Models ASW-28 is lighter and only 2 meter compared to the 2,5m FMS version. Different sailplanes. The modifications I made bring the little ST Models ASW-28 into glassed fuselage sailplane territory and then of course, you need to strengthen the wings. Always something!

Cheers, Thompson
Feb 10, 2014, 10:04 AM
Klassische Bilder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by john50049
You do not have to let this post if you don't want but I do want to say a big thanks for all the work you did and for sharing all this info. I have one of these planes on order ( back order ) and with your permission I am going to try some of the mods you did. You did a lot of work and I am very impressed.
Thanks again
John Johnston
Greetings, thank you for the kudos, yes the modifications I have done transform the way this sailplane glides and performs. While extensive, they also make the sailplane more pleasing to watch in flight. Hope this helps, welcome all questions you have.

Cheers, Thompson
Mar 18, 2015, 09:51 PM
Your INVERTED!
Working on my new ASW-28 tonight...... Man, seems like LOTS of wires in mine! Yours looks so much neater, got to work on that on mine, can't get canopy on yet cause of it!!!!

Smaller over all than I thought it would be, used to old 2m built up gas bags....love the looks of yours. If mine flys good this weekend I plan on coveing it in Econokote to strengthen and protect it some....

Quick Reply