Aug 24, 2011, 04:55 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

10 year old Ni-Cad still decent

This was kind of surprising to me! Just bought my first new R/C car in about 15 years (DF-03RA, last one was a TA-03F), and decided to try out the newest Ni-Cad I still had which I bought around the last time I overhauled the TA... possibly only 7-8 years ago not 10. It charged up fine and gave me a good strong 5 minutes of full power (on the stock Mabuchi). Car isn't very fast as expected. I went ahead and bought a new 1800 Ni-Cad since I don't want to invest yet in a ni-mh/lipo capable charger, expecting to get a significant speed boost as well. Surprisingly, the car didn't seem any faster, though I did get a significant run time increase (old batt was only 1500). Now I am wondering which of my old aftermarket motors won't fry the included ESC. It wasn't warm to the touch at all after a 10-15 minute run, but the motor and mounting plate were.

Ooops. I meant to post this under RC cars/batteries and chargers. Can a mod move it please?
Last edited by seeingeyegod; Aug 24, 2011 at 05:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2011, 05:04 PM
I just broke out an old RadioShack Hacksaw RC (circa 2001) truck from my oldest son (17) so that my youngest (3.5) could play with it. I could not find the old charger for the old 9.6v Ni-Cd battery pack (1000 mAh), so I went back to the Shack to grab a new 9.6v Ni-MH pack (1600 mAh) and charger - the charger will charge both Ni-MH and Ni-Cd, but I did not think the old pack would work.

The new battery pack was great and we had a lot of fun with the truck, and I thought why not charge the old pack and see what happens - well, it turns out that it charged well and the truck performed well (as well as can be expected I know...), although not as well as the new pack. I was pleasantly surprised, seeing as that the old Ni-Cd pack was 10 years old and was never treated well to begin with. In fact....this battery may just be the best performing Ni-Cd I have ever had - either that, or all the other were just junk!
Aug 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
AMA 754
Have a similar anecdote here... when I bought my first Futaba radio, I also picked up a Futaba 270 MAh 4-cell pack to use as a receiver battery for smaller RC hand-launched gliders. That was in the mid-1980's, and that very same pack is still working very well today as both an indoor RC Rx pack and for bench-testing and binding receivers that are almost 30 years younger.
Aug 24, 2011, 10:45 PM
Thread OP

I think the new 1800mah nicad is giving me more speed

on its second charge discharge cycle, unfortunately the Attack-R radio (thats right its like 20 years old) is not cutting it, glitching at the worst possible times and making me crash into curbs and trees. Do new 2.4 ghz radios always come with servos, and do they work with the old futaba ones? I have plenty of servos that work fine.
Aug 24, 2011, 11:07 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Futaba servos will interchange with them.
Does you motor still have the caps on the + and - end of the motor?

Rick
Aug 25, 2011, 12:00 AM
Thread OP

hmm

I don't think there were any caps on it, its the standard silver can Mabuchi.. Let me double check.
Aug 25, 2011, 11:44 AM
NICADS will last for years and years, everything is based on cycle life. We built battlepacks for robots that competed for 8 years. The best Sub C cell today is the N2500SCR cell from Sanyo.
Aug 31, 2011, 01:05 AM
Thread OP

Welp, I spent money :)

Got a FS-GT3 on the way Went for a combo with rechargeable ni-mh and an extra receiver for 50 bucks. Finally joining the world of 2.4 Ghz! Also picked up 4 universal shafts from ebay for 25 bucks, sucks that I lost that dog bone when my linkage fell off in a crash. Tried running in 2 wheel drive by taking out the drive shaft and the other front dogbone and man is it squirrelly, too much weight in the front I guess. I wonder if making it front wheel drive would be easier

Quick Reply