Jan 27, 2013, 06:04 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsld
I have to recover my wing, was never really happy with the job I did. Figure may as well put flaps in the center section. I fly dlg alot and really like using the flaps for landing.
Talk to Merrill and get his thoughts...he might have some ideas.

Clarence
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2013, 09:52 PM
Skye Malcolm

#19 on the building board

First few hours into this build and you can see where I'm at with the center panel. I'll be building this as sailplane with spoilers. First I had to make sure my build table was nice and flat...crooked wings are no fun!
Jan 28, 2013, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Deck
So, another spelling error on a plaque - were Edgar & Funstuck in the vicinity?
Now that's funny right there (one of those "had to have been there to get it" bits).

Tom
Jan 28, 2013, 10:57 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye8070
First few hours into this build and you can see where I'm at with the center panel. I'll be building this as sailplane with spoilers. First I had to make sure my build table was nice and flat...crooked wings are no fun!
You might be building on a flat table but the plans are wavy...
Jan 28, 2013, 07:18 PM
Skye Malcolm
What you see there is I just figured on pulling them from each side tightly by the tension of those books. But maybe I could tape them down. What you don't see is some cork underneath there that's making the surface look uneven...but it's OK under the wing area where I'm building.

Anybody have a good tip for getting the "wavy" out of the plans? I don't want to reef on them too hard. Heat or steam might do it but I'd have to let them dry out first.
Jan 28, 2013, 07:22 PM
registered weapon
iron
Jan 29, 2013, 01:43 AM
LSF # 7390 IV
Thread OP
Quote:
I'll be building this as sailplane with spoilers.
Skye I should have said this sooner but you could add one more bay to the spoilers and it will give you a bit more stopping power and all you need to do is trim one rib each side and just make the spoiler blade a bit bigger, when I built Oculus #22 I went one more bay and it works great.

Clarence
Jan 29, 2013, 06:31 AM
Skye Malcolm
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethermal
Skye I should have said this sooner but you could add one more bay to the spoilers and it will give you a bit more stopping power and all you need to do is trim one rib each side and just make the spoiler blade a bit bigger, when I built Oculus #22 I went one more bay and it works great.

Clarence
Thanks for the tip! I've cut spoilers in after building the wing and it's pretty simple so it's definitely not to late to consider doing that.
Skye
Feb 01, 2013, 02:15 AM
Quote:
What you see there is I just figured on pulling them from each side tightly by the tension of those books. But maybe I could tape them down. What you don't see is some cork underneath there that's making the surface look uneven...but it's OK under the wing area where I'm building.

Anybody have a good tip for getting the "wavy" out of the plans? I don't want to reef on them too hard. Heat or steam might do it but I'd have to let them dry out first.
Have then rolled... hint hint
jt
Feb 01, 2013, 04:45 PM
BFV
BFV
Wondering if any one had a 3 view of the Oculus? I have one coming and thought I might start playing with color schemes.
Last edited by BFV; Feb 01, 2013 at 05:43 PM.
Feb 02, 2013, 05:55 PM
Old Scale Glider Guy!
Well it looks like the Blue Oculus will be test flown this Sunday!

Merrill
Feb 02, 2013, 06:39 PM
hmm looks a lot like my Riser...
Feb 02, 2013, 11:36 PM
Skye Malcolm

Center panel is coming along

I think all that's left for the center panel is the glass, spoilers and the cap strips. It's coming along nicely and I sure do like building it. Thanks for the great kit, Merrill!
Feb 05, 2013, 07:32 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
That Spruce Goose is pretty bad ass! Any idea of what scale it was?

That last glider hanging from the ceiling is a sweet Antares owned by Rick Shelby. Saw it fly at Visalia a couple of weeks ago.

Lots of toys no doubt!

Quick Reply