Oculus RES Build - Page 37 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
May 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
Registered User
I did get to fly the Oculus Sunday am. 7 mph wind, mid 50's, overcast. Apparently I am not getting over 300' on a launch (altimeter). I have a 18 year old high start and I had to remove over 150' of line to fit our field. I did a dive test and the plane did not tuck or lift so I guess it is close or a bit nose heavy. I assume it sould start to rise out of the dive a bit?
There was not alot of lift but I did get to 671 ft and over 15 min flight time. Right now my biggest problem is going from the dlg to the big RES planes. It flies great, I just try to fly it to slowly. Last flight the wind picked up 10+ and I was quite a bit down wind, made it back with lots of altituded to spare. She penetrates well.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2012, 08:23 PM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
Sounds like some good flying, tailsld.
I have the stabs and the covering tools with me at work, so progress will happen still, yay.

R,
Target
May 16, 2012, 02:07 AM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
One stab done.
May 16, 2012, 11:03 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
onethermal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
One stab done.
Good looking stab, it's amazing it looks like the one I built

Clarence
May 16, 2012, 11:48 PM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
It IS the one you built; I uncovered it and added the missing carbon.
Its amazing the HUGE difference in TE stiffness that made.
I'm a believer in the .005" carbon now.

The other half is just finished; it's movie time!

Thanks for saving me the frame up time, C.

R, T
May 17, 2012, 11:30 AM
Registered User
NZ7C's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
It IS the one you built; I uncovered it and added the missing carbon.
Its amazing the HUGE difference in TE stiffness that made.
I'm a believer in the .005" carbon now.

The other half is just finished; it's movie time!

Thanks for saving me the frame up time, C.

R, T
OK - have not looked at the stab yet - but are you describing a modification that is not yet in the kit yet? Thanks, Tim
May 17, 2012, 12:54 PM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
No the CF is per the stock build instructions.

R,
Target
May 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
One tip panel is completed on covering.
CP will get the similar checkerboard LE and RED transparent covering....
May 20, 2012, 01:05 AM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
Still need to:
Cut in the spoiler bays, and outfit the fuse with bellcrank and gear.
It may fly next weekend, if I get on it on my Friday off this week.

Pics-
May 20, 2012, 10:30 AM
Retired USAF
cynjon's Avatar
Looking good, T!
May 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
AMA 3959
alstrahm's Avatar
SWEEET T! I have got to quit flying so much and get back on the OC!

Al
May 20, 2012, 03:13 PM
Registered User
Finally a good day, light wind, warm and someone showed up with a winch. We weer getting 400-500 ft launches, old tired histarts arent fun. I got a 41 min flight and I landed cause my neck hurt. Both of us ( Tom flew a 3+ meter Metor I think thats what it was) were well over 1000 ft. At one point we both had our spoilers full open and we were still climbing. I have my plane cg at 4 1/4", it just flies better for me there.
May 20, 2012, 05:15 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
onethermal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsld
I got a 41 min flight and I landed cause my neck hurt.
The plane is only limited by your ability to keep looking up Now you need to stretch your neck muscles so you can get an 1 or 2 hour LSF flight in. It is great to hear that you enjoy the Oculus.

Clarence
May 20, 2012, 08:36 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Mr B....'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsld
Finally a good day, light wind, warm and someone showed up with a winch. We weer getting 400-500 ft launches, old tired histarts arent fun. I got a 41 min flight and I landed cause my neck hurt. Both of us ( Tom flew a 3+ meter Metor I think thats what it was) were well over 1000 ft. At one point we both had our spoilers full open and we were still climbing. I have my plane cg at 4 1/4", it just flies better for me there.

Is that all?


That is great to see you get some time on her!

Merrill
May 20, 2012, 10:28 PM
Registered User
Well I did have a 25 min flight before that, and a 15 min flight on the dlg. Some of my sore neck is from sunburn. I dont work outdoors anymore so I pass tan and go straight to BURN.


Thread Tools