This thread is privately moderated by MuscleCBT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 23, 2011, 01:37 PM
MuscleCBT
Thread OP
Discussion

Line of sight...

Well, THAT made a big difference! After having Lasix eye surgery 14 years ago I went a long while without wearing glasses. After all, they corrected about 80 to 90% of the far-sightedness and astigmatism, who needed glasses anymore? Yeah, you can see this coming (sorry) but after breaking down and finally going to the eye doc and getting glasses to correct that last 10 to 20%, I'm a much better pilot. Depth perception is much improved too--great for flying next to the cliff at Pacifica. No more incipient death-walks down the hill to find the latest crash. Also, it's much more relaxing to fly out looking for lift and not be afraid of a dumb-thumb landing. Clark Kent rules!

More eye stuff...

Before I got these glasses though, I started the habit of putting the white/dark/white/dark pattern on the bottom of my glider wings. Not that I'm any kind of F3f slope racer but it helps a ton with depth perception at distance. Also, for combat glider (ZAGIs and such) here over the southern San Francisco cliffs, I put red on the top of my right wing and yellow over the top of my left wing. Doesn't look all that good close-up, but at 45 yards away it helps to know exactly which side is which on a flying wing to in to show (instantly) how to fly out of a collision.

Also, I read that the camouflage effect works not just with color, but with pattern. Thus, if you put 12 to 13 patches of (any) color on any given shape it becomes harder to determine the outline of that shape. Why 12 or 13? Who knows, but that's what they say is optimal for disguising shapes. Since I am often wondering which end is up (in so many ways....) I don't put more than 2 or 3 colors on any given glider. I never use sky blue and most of the colors I do use are bright or even fluorescent. My planes are often not good looking or harmonious up close, but up close is not where I need help seeing them!
Last edited by MuscleCBT; Mar 29, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2011, 11:38 PM
I hear ya brother! My lasik started running out about a year ago, ten years after the surgery. I still see 20/20 but as my eye doctor says its a hazy 20/20. Kind of like comparing HD to analog. Last time I went in for my drivers license renewal, I sat around waiting for three hours and passed the time playing on my phone. By the time I got called up, I had fried my eyes looking at the phone and couldn't pass the eye exam without my glasses
Oh well, its still better than the 20/200 I use to be before the lasik.
Dec 03, 2012, 10:44 AM
SagittaXC
Wow!!! I love the Red/White V-tail...I don't remember the kit? Is it scratch? I flew the Secret Spot about 3 months ago with an old Spirit 100. Paul (my buddy) flew his Typhoon. Great lift from lower landing. Paul tried the very top edge located behind us he barley made over the second lower level to find the lift. Landings were crazy from left or right....I'm sure there's a SECRET to those too!!! Your Friend, Jack
May 26, 2018, 10:01 AM
Paul
Just did PRK to fix that last 20% after 12 years and Chemotherapy. Back to 20/20!! Little uncomfortable as the procedure takes a while to heal, unlike Lasik. But nice to be back to excellent vision at 56 .

Quick Reply