Aug 23, 2011, 06:19 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Phoenix Simulator & ParkZone T-28 Trojan

Guys

I have Phoenix sim and enjoy flying the ParkZone T-28 Trojan mostly probably becoz I feel comfortable and seem to be at an okay standard.

Can anybody tell me if the sim is anything like the real thing? How's the flying between the Mini Sized and the full size version.

Is this bird a good way to step into fixed wing flight?

Cheers

Etopsflight
Last edited by etopsflight; Aug 23, 2011 at 08:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2011, 06:59 AM
I have a Phoenix sim as well. seems like i use the sime just to get rid of the dumb thumb syndrum...and pratice high speed landings.
Aug 23, 2011, 07:26 AM
Thread OP
QQuestor

So how do the two compare? Would you suggest the smaller or larger version for first purchase?

Etopsflight
Aug 23, 2011, 07:32 AM
Registered Addict
Get the UMT-28 as it handles crash's a lot better than its bigger brother due to its size t28 is the best aileron trainer for the money imo
Aug 23, 2011, 07:40 AM
Thread OP
kris

Thanks for the advice.

The full version seems quite big but of course more stable I guess in breezy conditions..

Etops
Aug 23, 2011, 07:42 AM
Registered Addict
For get the big one and start with umt28 you will love it !
Aug 23, 2011, 08:26 AM
Thread OP
Kris

Seems charging a lipo from AA batteries is a bit silly if the transformer is not included. The charger only charges one battery at a time! Not good when your looking at flight times of 6 minutes.

Etopsflight
Aug 23, 2011, 08:41 AM
Registered Addict
Just buy a few lipos there only cheap and get the eflite 4-port charger and your good to go for hours.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...zone_Etc_.html
Aug 23, 2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by etopsflight
Kris

Seems charging a lipo from AA batteries is a bit silly if the transformer is not included. The charger only charges one battery at a time! Not good when your looking at flight times of 6 minutes.

Etopsflight

These would be your friend. Great for charging the little Lipos when you go to the park to fly the UM's.

I have 6 batteries, just the cheap E-Flite 150 mAH and can fly continuously with 5 minute cooling down for 2 straight hours with just the single Lipo charger.
Aug 23, 2011, 08:47 AM
Registered Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers

These would be your friend. Great for charging the little Lipos when you go to the park to fly the UM's.

I have 6 batteries, just the cheap E-Flite 150 mAH and can fly continuously with 5 minute cooling down for 2 straight hours with just the single Lipo charger.
I dont bother with this.... just charge before you go ! there so cheap you can afford to buy enough to fly all day if you like.
Aug 23, 2011, 09:23 AM
The simulator is pretty close on the T-28. I think the PZ T-28 actually flies a bit easier than the one in the simulator or maybe all my practice over the winter was just paying off.
Aug 23, 2011, 10:16 AM
RC Guru
Simulators can only come close but they are no substitute for actual flight.

Get as comfortable as you can flying in the sim then just go for it. The t-28 is a pretty tame model for what it is, but it's definitely not afraid to get wild.

ParkZone T 28 Trojan (2 min 44 sec)
Aug 23, 2011, 12:27 PM
sims work if you set the sim up to feel like your model
the issue most people have is they wonder why the model doesnt fly like the sim

if you take to time to setup the sim so the plane/heli on it flys like your model
then sims are very good
Aug 23, 2011, 05:59 PM
Thread OP
@ Kris - thanks for the heads up on the 4 port charger. Any alternatives over the stock battery, larger mAh and C rating?

@winginman - I am just a beginner and feel comfortable on the sim. Not done any setups. Using a Walkera WK-2402 Tx from my CB180Z.

@Xpress - nice flying and great landing. The real thing seems more manoeuvrable than the sim but it that due to a more powerful battery?

Elios000 - I've not done any setup on the sim. I stink at flying any of the electric helis on Phoenix. My fave heli to fly is the Hughes 500 which is sweet. I'm getting pretty disillusioned with real rotating wing flight and thinking that fixed wing is more my thing.

Guys, thanks for all the replies!

Happy flying.

Cheers

Etopsflight
Aug 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by etopsflight
@ Kris - thanks for the heads up on the 4 port charger. Any alternatives over the stock battery, larger mAh and C rating?

@winginman - I am just a beginner and feel comfortable on the sim. Not done any setups. Using a Walkera WK-2402 Tx from my CB180Z.

@Xpress - nice flying and great landing. The real thing seems more manoeuvrable than the sim but it that due to a more powerful battery?

Elios000 - I've not done any setup on the sim. I stink at flying any of the electric helis on Phoenix. My fave heli to fly is the Hughes 500 which is sweet. I'm getting pretty disillusioned with real rotating wing flight and thinking that fixed wing is more my thing.

Guys, thanks for all the replies!

Happy flying.

Cheers

Etopsflight
there is a right and wrong way to go about learning helis
go here and read up and youll have better luck
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
give that a try with one of the 600 size models
if you do what he says and dont cheat you will learn to hover
once you learn to hover they you can move on to forward flight
but you need to know how to hover to take off and land

the other thing is with heli most of the magic is in the setup
ie how much expo how much collective pitch how much cyclic pitch what head speed and what pitch and throttle curves
once you get that dialed in its much easier and it helps heaps to have some one knows how to fly help you with set up
and heli can be made for hardcore smackdown 3D then just with some reprogramming on the TX become a forgiving trainer
one of the neat things with helis if you have the money you can jump right in with a nice high end heli and it will make a great trainer
its like some how if just with TX settings you could make a 3D EDF fly like trainer
Last edited by Elios000; Aug 23, 2011 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply