This thread is privately moderated by jj604, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 01, 2014, 12:49 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
marhar, I did a fair bit of research on a small crimper when I first got interested in micro connections.

My conclusion was that there is only one hand crimper made that works for the 1.25mm and 1.5mm connectors. It can also do the 1mm JST-SH but it's a a bit more of a struggle. They specify it as 1.25-2.5mm but show JST-SH as a typical terminal it can be used for.

On anything above 1.25mm it works a treat. It's not cheap (as in Chinese HobbyKing cheap) but don't let the stamped steel look fool you.

This is a precision Japanese made crimper with a adjustable hinge pin for alignment. It is called the Engineer PA-09.

Whether it is worth the money to you depends on how good a job you want to do and how low your frustration tolerance is! This thing will produce top quality crimps with no hair tearing. Cheapest place I found it was here:

http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-PA-09.../dp/B002AVVO7K

John
Sweet, thanks, just what I was looking for! It would seem a lot if I hadn't priced "official" crimping tools at $400+. (!!!)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2014, 07:31 AM
I can't fly
I have the same tool and it has worked well for me.
Aug 16, 2014, 12:24 PM
First........ Thanks to John for starting this thread. I have been very confused about all these small connectors.
I'm using the APM and Pixhawk flight controllers and wanted to make som tailored cables. First I thought the APM had Hirose DF13 connectors and I ordered some housings and contakts. But alas, when I got them they did not fit. After some more googling, I found out that it was Molex Picoblade. They are very similar and with some force and cutting a little plastic, you can make a DF13 connector fit into a Picoblade contact. The DF13 has square pins while the Picoblade has rectangular pins. The locking of the housing is a little bit different also.
The white plug in the pictures are the Molex Picoblade, the light brown the Hirose DF13
To make the confusion complete............ an original Pixhawk seems to use Hirose DF13 while the Chineese copies use Molex Picoblade.

I also just bought this crimper. Works very well compared with the price. You have to do two crimps; one for the wire and one for the isolation.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131262063732...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Aug 16, 2014, 12:27 PM
This looks very much like a 3 pin Molex Picoblade (1,25 mm pitch).
Aug 23, 2014, 01:43 PM
FWIW, I solder the wires to the contacts, then insert them.

But first, one must cut off the "wings" as I call them, the little tabs that get bent over when crimping. I lightly tin the contacts and the wires, then just "sweat solder" the two together. This process takes a little more time, but avoids the hassle of an expensive crimper.

I do this on all my conversions/swaps/adapters of the JST 1.0 and 1.5 mm connectors, and the Molex Picoblade 1.25's.

[I confess that sometimes I "cheat" by soldering in a made-up HK pigtail cable here and there!!]
Aug 23, 2014, 04:26 PM
RC Connectors dot com
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingman
They are very similar and with some force and cutting a little plastic, you can make a DF13 connector fit into a Picoblade contact. The DF13 has square pins while the Picoblade has rectangular pins. The locking of the housing is a little bit different also.
I've made this warning before on another thread, please think twice if you try and use the wrong connector/pins even though it kinda fits. Especially if you've got square pins vs a blade shape.

The contact surfaces on these little things are small enough, and when you start mixing and matching, you might have precious little contact area in the end. What might work at first may not after some vibration and movement, and current.

Glenn
RC-Connectors.com
Dec 04, 2014, 07:12 PM
Quote:
marhar, I did a fair bit of research on a small crimper when I first got interested in micro connections.
Hi John, did you locate a good Aus source of connectors by any chance? I'm starting out in APM/Pixhawk world and it's driving me nuts trying to get DF13 cables here.
$3 cable from states with $39 shipping
Dec 05, 2014, 12:14 AM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
I'm not sure what DF13 is but Mark at Micronwings is the only source of JST-SH, JST-ZH and JST MCP-X and Molex Picoblade 2 and 3 pin DIY in OZ as far as I know.

Excellent to deal with and highly recommended.

http://www.micronwings.com/Products/...rs/index.shtml

John
Dec 05, 2014, 12:22 AM
RC Connectors dot com
I have DF-13 connectors but they're not on my site yet.

And standard international shipping is a flat $7.50 fee.

Send me a note thru the 'Contact us' page, and I'll take a look at which sizes I have...

Glenn
http://www.RC-Connectors.com
Dec 05, 2014, 01:05 AM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
crankster, I can vouch for Glenn as a good guy too!

John
Dec 05, 2014, 01:28 AM
RC Connectors dot com
Thanks, John! I have quite a number of customers from down under.

Looks like I have 2,3,4,5, and 6 pin Hirose DF-13 housings (male), and of course pins.

Housings and pins (one extra included) will be ~ $1.19 per kit, as are most of the others in that size range.

I can also do them with 28 or 30 gauge wires, pins crimped & inserted into the housings. Will vary by the number of pins.

Glenn
RC-Connectors.com
Dec 05, 2014, 11:26 AM
Quote:
I'm not sure what DF13 is but Mark at Micronwings is the only source of JST-SH, JST-ZH and JST MCP-X and Molex Picoblade 2 and 3 pin DIY in OZ as far as I know................
I buy the connector bodies and the pins/contacts in bulk from just about any one of the big electronics distributors here in the States. I'm sure that in OZ, you have them as well. Some of the ones in the US are friendly to us hobbyist/experimenter/tinkerer types in terms of pricing and shipping.
Dec 05, 2014, 06:06 PM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
Good point. While that is true, only the big distrubutors such as Farnell and RS here have these connectors and they may require a business account or have minimum orders that make it uneconomic. The "retail' distributors like Jaycar and Alltronics do not carry this stuff. The big US distributors generally have minimum foreign shipping costs that are simply uneconomic for us.

What I should have said was that:

Mark at Micronwings is the only source of JST-SH, JST-ZH and JST MCP-X and Molex Picoblade 2 and 3 pin DIY in OZ in small quantities of one or two at an economic price as far as I know.

The other option is to look for US or UK suppliers with a decent attitude to posting small light packages, like Glenn or Micron in the UK - or buy them from China on eBay or Alibaba Express.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim
I buy the connector bodies and the pins/contacts in bulk from just about any one of the big electronics distributors here in the States. I'm sure that in OZ, you have them as well. Some of the ones in the US are friendly to us hobbyist/experimenter/tinkerer types in terms of pricing and shipping.
Dec 07, 2014, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn2626
I have DF-13 connectors but they're not on my site yet.

And standard international shipping is a flat $7.50 fee.

Send me a note thru the 'Contact us' page, and I'll take a look at which sizes I have...

Glenn
http://www.RC-Connectors.com
Hi Glenn, thanks for the heads up and info. I will certainly keep you in mind now that I know about you. I've managed to source some locally which gets me flying sooner
Dec 07, 2014, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Good point. While that is true, only the big distrubutors such as Farnell and RS here have these connectors and they may require a business account or have minimum orders that make it uneconomic. The "retail' distributors like Jaycar and Alltronics do not carry this stuff. The big US distributors generally have minimum foreign shipping costs that are simply uneconomic for us.

What I should have said was that:

Mark at Micronwings is the only source of JST-SH, JST-ZH and JST MCP-X and Molex Picoblade 2 and 3 pin DIY in OZ in small quantities of one or two at an economic price as far as I know.

The other option is to look for US or UK suppliers with a decent attitude to posting small light packages, like Glenn or Micron in the UK - or buy them from China on eBay or Alibaba Express.

John
John, that has been my experience too. It is fine as long as you know what you want well in advance. I'm just starting to use the 3DR flight controllers and working out what I need as a I go. It is frustrating when you realise that you need that 'one connector'

Quick Reply