This thread is privately moderated by jj604, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 18, 2019, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Don, two down sides that I can see.
  1. It's just about impossible to get all the insulation off those "enamelled" wires in my experience. Anything left will add to the contact resistance of the crimp. The best method without damaging the copper is to heat them very hot in a blob of solder and the insulation burns off as the wire tins. Defeats the purpose of a crimped connector somewhat.
  2. The last thing you want is solid wire as it will break very easily at the crimp end where there is a stress raiser.
Ideally you want as many strands of thin wire as possible with a physical connection (crimp) and a stress relief (second crimp) on the insulation.

Multistrand wire with lots of thin strands and a thin Silicone insulation would be ideal. Of readily available stuff, the Hobbyking Spektrum satellite wires come as close to ideal as I have found.

John
Thank you guys, I think that you are right in that the Silicone insulation is causing some problems when trying to fit the crimped wire into the connector.
Its probably a bit thicker than standard PVC insulation as well as it seems to be squished pretty badly when you crimp on it making it sort of "ooze" out.
This plus the fact that its not very stiff at all so you cant really apply force to push it in the connector.

I just bought silicone wires because I was told it was all the rage and all that for its great properties but I'm going to buy some PVC-coated wires in a thinner gauge instead, 28AWG instead of 26AWG and it should hopefully be small enough to get it seated into the smallest connectors.
I don't want to go too thin as this is for an RC plane and I will probably have to mount the vTx pretty far behind for weight distribution and I'm not sure its a good idea to skimp on the gauge for such a long cable.

The smallest connectors I have to crimp for is a PicoBlade connector with 1.25mm pitch:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...ords=510210300
And this JST GH with 1.25 pitch as well:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...ds=455-1595-nd

When I think about it I think I'll buy some 30AWG as well just in case...
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2019, 08:18 PM
in awe of glide...
Quote:
Originally Posted by divided
Thank you guys, I think that you are right in that the Silicone insulation is causing some problems when trying to fit the crimped wire into the connector.
Its probably a bit thicker than standard PVC insulation as well as it seems to be squished pretty badly when you crimp on it making it sort of "ooze" out.
This plus the fact that its not very stiff at all so you cant really apply force to push it in the connector.

When I think about it I think I'll buy some 30AWG as well just in case...
I have not tried this on the tiny 1.25mm conectors yet but it works fine w the JST RCY and the Molex 51005 conectors.
If the insulation is a little too big, I'll shave off a slim taper of insulation near the back of the crimp w a fine razor knife. I'll then take a very small tool w a flat edge I can push with (like a tiny flat blade screwdriver) and push on the very back edge or corner of the crimp therby taking any pressure off the limp wire itself.

Hope it helps!
Jul 23, 2019, 02:49 AM
No bounce, No play.
I pull that off with very sharp flush cutters on silicone insulation. A few nips seems easier than a blade with the floppy silicone. Done careful it turns out nice.

Quick Reply