Aug 22, 2011, 06:58 PM
MicroHeliPilot III
Discussion

9998 Xieda Great Wall Toys Super Uncommon!

"Super Uncommon" is the lastest 2.4GHz Crossbar Mini type Helicopter, and it has excellent control functions and an advanced balanced operating system. It features in simple operation and steady fly, so it is the best choice for beginner. "Super Uncommon" is with small volume and light weight, and can fly in the small range, which make the operators enjoy the mystery and fun in the fly.

This copter has been mentioned in the 'under xx dollars shipped' thread and in the thread about the FP sister ship, the 9958 but it has no thread of it's own.....that i could find

29.99 from MyRcMart, ordered it 8/1/11, arrived from Hong Kong today, only took 22 days.

It says on the box "The rise and fall, Forward, BAckward, Fly the left & right side, Hovering action, accurate positioning, etc." and from my flights so far its mostly true. Having only run 1 pack thru it so far, I still have to trim it a bit I only used the little bit of power that came with the shipped battery for a few test flights.

31.26 grams without the battery.

On the side of the Canopy it says 'Go Flying THUNDER' (nice) and on the tail it tells you what this thing is in case you forgot.

This is my 1st 4ch coax, moving up from the s107 and minix (6025) takes a bit to get used to the new controls, now I know what they mean when they say 3ch skills 'do not transfer'

"When airscrew rotates, don't approach it by hand to avoid the hurt, don't roll your hair or clothing in it" lots of great advice in the book that comes with this machine

The blades do not 'pivot' and that makes me thing it may be a little more fragile in crashed then the ones that can, I wonder if the blade holders / blades can be swapped out for another models to make them a bit safer..

Overall for a cheap toy it works pretty well....anyone else got one?
Last edited by FreakFlow; Aug 26, 2011 at 10:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2011, 08:39 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
How much did it cost for shipping?
Aug 22, 2011, 08:56 PM
MicroHeliPilot III
I bought two of them, one 9998 and one 9958, 29.99 x 2 + shipping, Total price was 90.00USD want to use the coax to learn my 'orientations' 1st before i try the FP machine, have an mSR and its so freaking fast....this coax will help me learn the controls a bit better with its slower speed.

Shipping cost on my order was :

Sub-Total: USD59.98
HK Air Parcel ([Weight: 1600g] : USD30.02
Total: USD90.00

On a 4ch Coax does the tail do anything or is it just there for looks?
Last edited by FreakFlow; Aug 23, 2011 at 08:33 PM.
Aug 25, 2011, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakFlow
On a 4ch Coax does the tail do anything or is it just there for looks?
On this fullsize Kaman one can see that the tail can be short, but does have an aerodynamic stabilizing effect in fast-fwd flight
(the vertical stabilizers are actually toed-in to help) >
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HH-43_Huskie

In our toy coaxs, which are axially stabilized with solid-state piezo "gyros", the long tailboom helps pitch-axis stability (think high-wire artist using a long pole to help balance). AND, it surely helps essential remote visual orientation. But for SLOW flt, especially 2 - 3ch flying, as may be seen in the many flying toy-Santas, cartoon cats, etc., it is obviously not so important.

Lee
Aug 25, 2011, 05:31 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
I have been following the 9958 thread. Can you tell us if your 9958/9998 mode 2 or 1? Also, the 9958 doesn't have a safety throttle off. In other words, after throttle up, if you turn the Tx off, the bird keeps flying (bad for out-of-range scenario). What about the 9998?
Aug 25, 2011, 07:07 PM
MicroHeliPilot III
I got both the 9958 and 9998 in mode 2, MyRcMart lets you pick what one you want and they claim to never make mistakes

Also no safety shutoff, if i turn off the transmitter the bird still whirls

xlcrlee: thats cool i didnt know they made full size coax helicopters!

The only problem i am having with the 9998 is trimming the spin, i can get it to spin slightly left or slightly right but not to hold still

on a side note how did you get that little icon/picture under your name i added a photo to my profile but it doesnt show up in posts like your does
Last edited by FreakFlow; Aug 25, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
Aug 25, 2011, 07:48 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
FF, IIRC, you want to edit you Avatar (not your profile picture). Try that and see if it works. Cheers.
Aug 27, 2011, 10:15 PM
MicroHeliPilot III
I tried and failed to bind the 9998 Transmitter to the 9958, just FYI. they both look exactly the same except for the charge port, the 9998 the battery plugs right into the TX to charge, on the 9958 it has a USB slot for a USB plug that has the battery connector on it. If anyone else has both the 9958 and 9998 and can get them to 'inter-bind' please let me know i would love to not have to swap batteries from each controller
Aug 28, 2011, 06:23 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Quote:
I tried and failed to bind the 9998 Transmitter to the 9958
How did you go about it? According to my 9958 manual this is possible, you need to press and hold the left stick on the TX upon turning it on and this sends the heli into binding mode. It works with my heli but you only have about 3 seconds to power on the heli so you need to be quick.
Aug 28, 2011, 05:22 PM
Hi Freakflow,
How's it going with your blade MSR?

I saw your posts about the heli's you bought. Which do you like better? the 9958 or 9998?

I have a number of helis' as well. (13 or 14 so far?) You mentioned that the MSR was so fast. If your serious about getting a fixed pitch, I went that route on on advice purchased the Spectrum DX6i radio. With the computer radio you can tame the MSR down. There are Excellent instructions on how to do this on the web. Once you have the DX6i you then get get the bind and fly versions of the heli or search for used ones. I purchased several on the web from ebay cheap. You don't need to keep adding radio's.

After my Msr I purchased (4) SR120 ( knew I would needs parts)
from ebay and have been having a blast with them. Next I'll get the MXCP.

Bryon
Aug 29, 2011, 04:44 PM
MicroHeliPilot III
so far my fav. is the coax, 9998 due to its slower speed, the 9958 i have put about 50 seconds of flight time on total, with about 3 to 5 seconds per flight

the mSR i am doing pretty well with, till i broke a servo gear this weekend, so now waiting for new parts to come in the mail. i may give the dx6i a try, thanks for the advice
Sep 01, 2011, 07:27 PM
MicroHeliPilot III
I had success today binding the 9958 to the 9998, due to the short 'timing window' i found that if you plug in the chopper battery then quickly turn on the remote in 'bind mode' it will work. I was doing it before by controller on 1st then plug in chopper and failed. so s these two units are interchangeable w/ the controllers.
Nov 08, 2011, 07:15 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Overall for a cheap toy it works pretty well....anyone else got one?
I've got the Hobby King version (HK-136) made by E-flite. The box is different but the heli is exactly the same.

Super durable if you treat it right. Mine has flow for a little over three hours total, over 45 battery cycles, and is still on all original parts. A colleague at work bought one after hearing me rave about it, and so far he's only had to change the flybar.

Oh, and don't worry about the lack of pivots on the blade -- if you get into the habit of cutting throttle before impacts (including walls), there won't be any damage. Mine has fallen 15' onto a hardwood floor (yeah cathedral roof!) at least half a dozen times with no damage whatsoever.
Nov 25, 2011, 01:02 AM
I have a 9958 and I'm pretty pleased with it overall. I'm thinking about picking up a 9998 or two as gifts and maybe even an extra one for myself. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with replacement parts for this little bird, unfortunately parts support seems to be somewhat nonexistent for it at the moment.

Plenty of parts appear to be the same as the 9958: batteries, canopy, skids, lower blades, tail boom, swash plate, likely the servos, links and main gear as well. Its also to be expected that the 9958 rotor head is used as the lower head also. All that seems easy enough, but that doesn't cover everything.

Mostly I'm wondering about interchangeability with the Blade mcx. It seems like the lower blades and rotor head should work, as they do on the 9958, but how about the upper blades, shaft and flybar? These parts are not only upgrades in terms of durability, but they can also be bought at the LHS, a big plus IMO and a factor that would influence my decision.

Oh well, thanks in advance. It sure looks like good heli for the money.
Nov 27, 2011, 09:26 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man
. . . Super durable if you treat it right. . . so far he's only had to change the flybar.
Is the flybar similar to that on the NE Solo 210a, ie brittle carbon fibre that frequently pops out or breaks?

If so, and parts fit from the mcx, the inner shaft, flybar & blades might the answer.

Parts from the NE Bravo III make the 210a practically unbreakable.