Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 23, 2011, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daybyter
I would like too. Problem is, that I have a GA 250 here, that might have a hardware problem. After a turn, it always turned the heli back into it's original direction. So if it's a hardware problem, and I program your new firmware, testing might be useless, since I cannot say for sure, if an issue is related to the hardware or the firmware.

So I could order another gyro. Problem is, that our customs office tests any electronic component with cables very carefully. In fact I'm waiting for a servo now since July 6th. So it might take a few monts, before I get a working GA 250.

Not sure what to do yet, but I'd like to help wth the programming. I just don't know, how to proceed yet.
Meanwhile you can play with your gyro, printing things on the PC terminal like
rudder values, gyro sensor values (from the ADC), maybe you can find the problem!
I can send you a version with debug things.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2011, 06:37 AM
Ok, I'll try to flash your firmware. Maybe I can contribute at least to the docs.

We could start with links to shops, where you can get the required hardware, like this RS232- or (better) USB-adapter?
Aug 23, 2011, 06:51 AM
as much as I can
Quote:
I would like too. Problem is, that I have a GA 250 here, that might have a hardware problem. After a turn, it always turned the heli back into it's original direction. So if it's a hardware problem, and I program your new firmware, testing might be useless, since I cannot say for sure, if an issue is related to the hardware or the firmware.

So I could order another gyro. Problem is, that our customs office tests any electronic component with cables very carefully. In fact I'm waiting for a servo now since July 6th. So it might take a few monts, before I get a working GA 250.

Not sure what to do yet, but I'd like to help wth the programming. I just don't know, how to proceed yet.
If this is a hardware problem, then I have two gyros here with the same hardware problem and they are from 2 different batches. I think you will find this is one of the firmware issues with the GA250.
Aug 23, 2011, 07:20 AM
as much as I can
This comment was interesting from an Align team member who has worked closely with the developer of the 3GX:
Quote:
The tail is alot better and during development that was a major priority. The tail gain is increased automatically as you deflect the rudderstick, this give the tail more consistency, future upgrade may include a slider to affect how much gain is added as you deflect the rudder. On occasion, the limiting factor to how high you can turn up the overall gain for me is when I give full right rudder, the tail may stutter as it goes around. Instead of turning down the overall tail gain, I reduced the tail lock gain to 60 and it fixes it.
Aug 23, 2011, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying
If this is a hardware problem, then I have two gyros here with the same hardware problem and they are from 2 different batches. I think you will find this is one of the firmware issues with the GA250.
Weird thing is, that I had 2 gyros of the same batch (I guess, since it was the same order). The other one works perfectly...
Aug 23, 2011, 11:24 AM
This device should work, right?

http://cgi.ebay.de/USB-2-0-to-UART-T...item564571ffb4

And it has a 5V output, so no further 5V supply is required, right?
Aug 23, 2011, 11:24 AM
Is there a description of the required modifications inside the gyro?
Aug 23, 2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
This device should work, right?

http://cgi.ebay.de/USB-2-0-to-UART-T...item564571ffb4

And it has a 5V output, so no further 5V supply is required, right?
Yes, I think that device is good to load the application (not the bootloader) and no further 5V supply is required. you have to connect the extra circuit, described on the blog, between that USB device and the gain connector in order to be possible to use the AVRprog. The gyro can be powered (gain connector) with these 5V and also the extra circuit.

You don't need to do any modification inside the gyro, only solder 6 wires when programing the bootloader. After that you can remove these wires and close the gyro.
Aug 23, 2011, 11:53 AM
Ok, thanks! Ordered...

I have a programmer from the er9x project, so how connect it to the gyro?

Maybe take a picture from Olli and add small arrows where to connect which programmer signal?
Aug 23, 2011, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Ok, thanks! Ordered...

I have a programmer from the er9x project, so how connect it to the gyro?

Maybe take a picture from Olli and add small arrows where to connect which programmer signal?
See blog: "Open the gyro and connect the programmer to the SPI interface (VCC, GND, MOSI, MISO, RESET and SCK)"

These labels are printed on the Olli pcb pitures....
Look at 6 pads aligned like this:
o o o
o o o
Last edited by cruzado; Aug 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Aug 23, 2011, 02:00 PM
Ah thanks!

Here:
http://www.olliw.eu/uploads/gyro-GA250-withanno-wp.jpg

the left picture in the lower left corner.

Hmmh..these pads are aligned nicely...maybe there could be a solderless solution like s_mack's solderless board for the turnigy 9x? Just a pcb with 6 pins on one side and a connector on the other? If the 2 were aligned in a box, or so?
Aug 23, 2011, 03:55 PM
Very interesting project, subscribed.
Aug 23, 2011, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Ah thanks!

Here:
http://www.olliw.eu/uploads/gyro-GA250-withanno-wp.jpg

the left picture in the lower left corner.

Hmmh..these pads are aligned nicely...maybe there could be a solderless solution like s_mack's solderless board for the turnigy 9x? Just a pcb with 6 pins on one side and a connector on the other? If the 2 were aligned in a box, or so?
We can do it more than one way, with a connector 6 pins with the same pitch as the pcb pads for example, making some pressure against the pcb.
In my opinion the best solution is soldering 6 thin wires. No bad contacts!

Don't forget to program configuration/lock bits.
Last edited by cruzado; Aug 23, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Aug 23, 2011, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying
This comment was interesting from an Align team member who has worked closely with the developer of the 3GX:
We can take some ideas from other people and from other devices...

In your opinion what does the delay parameter on the GY520?
Change the gain only on stops?
Aug 23, 2011, 06:02 PM
Professional heli wrecker
I have five of them and am reprogramming all of them. OlliW has great info on how to solder the board and do the bootloader, I am using the Robbebox Vs2