Aug 26, 2012, 10:13 AM
That's a funny word
Depends on what voltage and prop, right? 10x5 with 3s you'll be good with stock esc and have less thrust than stock.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2012, 11:02 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i plan on using the 10x7 as I have been, but if it can handle it i'd like more power.
Aug 26, 2012, 11:26 AM
That's a funny word
I'd sure use the stock one with 10x7. It's close , maybe you can get a current reading with full battery?
Aug 26, 2012, 12:03 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm going to take a bench reading soon. I just realized the rudder servo stripped from when it hit the car so I can't fly it until I replace that anyway.
Aug 26, 2012, 04:07 PM
Always Indecisive
Hey do you guys know of any other aerobatic moves that the sensei can perform besides rolls, loops, and inverted? I know I know, its a trainer, but I would just like to know if there are and how to perform them.
Aug 26, 2012, 04:25 PM
Here is a bone stock (well, we took a few of the decals off) Sensei sport flying at 10,000 feet density altitude. So it's definitely under propped by a bit due to low air density. I know there is a lot of talk on whether the Sensei has enough power or not stock, but it has legs as is with a bit of energy management. We even got 6 minutes (with plenty of reserve left) out of the 2200mah battery on this flight with "aggressive" flying. The pilot in this video is 9 years old too.

RC Sensei Flying Flagstaff Style (2 min 1 sec)

Enjoy! There is definitely headroom for the Sensei to take folks well into their second airplane.
Last edited by seattlebuoy; Aug 26, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Aug 26, 2012, 04:28 PM
Always Indecisive
I wish i had as much guts as that 9 year old....and im only 6 years older...i should be able to do that by now! ....never knew the sensei had vertical either...
Aug 26, 2012, 06:49 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
So far, stock electrics have worked for me, works good for another club member. Only difference is an APC 10x5 prop, it is very nice.
Inspected the motor, it might be getting a bit loose on the shaft. I'm going to put in some more flights and re-inspect.
Aug 26, 2012, 09:23 PM

In Flight Crash

After 165 flights I finally crashed my Sensei. A friend and I were trying to make chase videos. I had a camera mounted backward and he had a forward mounted one. Well you can guess, we had a mid air collision. He was able to land but I spiraled into the corn field. Attached is a picture of the crashed plane. I've got it back together but it is a handful. The wing is bent out of shape and it really effects the flight characteristics. I'm probably going to have to replace the wing. The videos show the crash from each plane. View 1 shows parts of the other plane floating down and View 2 shows my Sensei spiraling into the corn.

CrashView1 (0 min 16 sec)

CrashView2 (0 min 13 sec)
Aug 26, 2012, 10:01 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lol awesome
Aug 27, 2012, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Hey do you guys know of any other aerobatic moves that the sensei can perform besides rolls, loops, and inverted? I know I know, its a trainer, but I would just like to know if there are and how to perform them.
Hi,
you could do combinations of these, which translate into Himmelmans, Split -S and Half Cubans.

That said, if you are ready to handle some aerobatics it may be time to get a Parkzone T28 (not the UM, the full size one). you can use the same batteries as the Sensei and this is a very good low-wing trainer with GREAT aerobatic capabilities as it comes stock. (you can change motors etc, but not really necessary, especially when you begin flying with it.

There is a very good thread here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7259&page=1673

And yes, I do have one

Brgds,

Danny
Aug 31, 2012, 12:51 AM

Sensei mod: reducing landing gear drag for better gliding.

Sensei is easy to fly and has a good glide even with weight and drag of 3 wheels and windmilling prop. I enabled stock ESC brake (yup I read the manual) to reduce prop drag, then put 5 degree flaperon camber in for better airfoil performance. Next step was to remove nose gear drag. I also wanted access to motor as well so used a box cutter carefully cutting into cowl/fuse seam no deeper than .75 inch. Now the nose components motor, bolts, ESC connectors, ballast plates, steering tiller arm are easy to get to for maintenance and replacement.
Metal gear was bolted to 1/8 ply and is the same size as the plastic gear mount. It is recessed and CA'd just forward of the drop doors. Used same two wood screws and angled the gear forward. Used larger 3" O.D. light weight tires. Stock CG stickers ( 29.5% MAC) did not change with the conversion and ground handling is good with out any nose overs/ground loops in short mowed grass. I bent stock metal gear for scale toe in and caster. Tail skid is 1/32" wire.
When grass is too long for gear I will remove and fly with no gear weight and drag. High wing and belly protected with 3M 20X should make belly landings similar to foamy motor gliders that I fly. Hopefully prop will "park" horizontal so I don't have prop strikes and bent motor shaft. Sorta Sensei Cessna Cardinal RG?
Aug 31, 2012, 07:05 AM

Sensei taildragger

Sensei is now lighter and 1/3 less drag with out the nose gear. There is more prop clearance from ground surfaces with tail down. Nose gear can be re-installed by removing the tape that holds the cowl in place and using a phillips head screw driver to secure the top tiller arm and lower collar. The main gear can be remounted aft into the original tricycle design for easy/safe ground operations.
For hand launching and belly landings in tall grass remove the two landing gear screws and gear.
Aug 31, 2012, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicT
Sensei is now lighter and 1/3 less drag with out the nose gear. There is more prop clearance from ground surfaces with tail down. Nose gear can be re-installed by removing the tape that holds the cowl in place and using a phillips head screw driver to secure the top tiller arm and lower collar. The main gear can be remounted aft into the original tricycle design for easy/safe ground operations.
For hand launching and belly landings in tall grass remove the two landing gear screws and gear.
NICE!!! That is classic looking. Sort of like the different between a Cessna 180 and 182. Perfect use of the deadspace between battery and hatch bay.

The convertible aspect is well executed. That would be pretty cool if they put that on the production plane and would be a natural for creating a more versatile trainer.

Is the tail wheel steerable? Sullivan or which brand?
Last edited by seattlebuoy; Aug 31, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Sep 04, 2012, 10:37 PM
Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicT
Can you post a few more pictures as to how you mounted the Gear?

Also Does anyone know how many poles the Stock motor has? I would rather not pull the motor out to count if its not necessary.

Quick Reply