Oct 22, 2001, 08:57 PM
Fish & Fly

Tigermoth--Where's the best place to buy one+accessories??

I've been into e-flight for about 1-1/2 years now (Zagis, TwinJet, X250) and for the first time this past weekend flew a slowflyer (Lite Stik). What fun!!

I'm now reading threads in this part of E-Zone and I've pretty much decided that my next plane will be a Tigermoth.

Where's the best place to buy one, and also order an ESC, servos and Rx? I'd like to get as much as I can from the same place.

My friend's LiteStik had a little GWS Rx. Do they offer one that would be compatible with a Hitec Flash 5X (Ch48)?

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2001, 09:09 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/

is one of the few places that have it. They also have a wide variety of accessories.

RB
Oct 22, 2001, 09:10 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
Check with Horizon Hobby,
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...e.asp?Page=GWS

What you want is the GWS flight pack with the Pico servos, R4P receiver, ICS-50 esc and NiMH battery. Perfect for the Tigermoth and will work great with your Hitec transmitter. (be sure to specify HiTec and your channel.
Oct 22, 2001, 09:18 PM
Hi! welcome to Slowflyers where we're all innocent of fast flying! GWS markets a complete flightpack, you would specify Futaba/Hitec/neg shift/ch#. In the package you get a battery,speed control,2 cs-10Pico) servos and the RX 4ch with Xtal. I got mne at the LHS, any HS that is a horizon hobby distributor . www.balsapr.com carries the flight packs, motors props etc. Toddsmodels has the lowest prices on replacement geardrives $16 www.toddsmodels.com. Also, www.horizonhobby.com I believe has the plane and the stuff. Happy Electric Aero Motoring,slowly that is... Best Regards and ibeengood
Oct 22, 2001, 09:27 PM
Alarm Bells Softening!
Ordered mine last Friday morning and they shipped it out that afternoon. Hope to get it tomorrow or Wednesday. Dealt with Allison via email and it was a pleasure.

awolfe@horizonhobby.com
800- 338- 4639

Patrick
Oct 22, 2001, 09:40 PM
Ditto on all the above info, DaJudge. I got my Tiger Moth and flight pack from Horizon Hobby. I'm flying my Moth with a Hitec Flash 4. One construction tip I highly recommend, if you haven't already picked it up for the Moth, is to use polyurethane for the wing struts instead of the kit supplied glue. I've had some hard hits and the wing strut joints have been rock solid. For a light plane, the Tiger Moth is amazingly tough.
Oct 22, 2001, 09:53 PM
Hi again also do a SEARCH in the SLOWFLYER forum Under tigermoth. It might take ya amonth to read all the tips, mods, etc. Over 300,000 sold so far. I got two! ( A momentary lapse of reason) Best Regards
Oct 22, 2001, 10:53 PM
Fish & Fly
Wow. Talk about a quick and helpful response.

I guess that the TM discussion here is as lively as the Zagi stuff over in Foamies.

I'm really looking forward to having something that I can slalom around the trees in my front yard.

My wife is asking me what I want for my birthday which is in just a few weeks. Hmmmmm.
Oct 23, 2001, 02:53 PM
Been There! Done That!
Try www.littleshopofhobbies.com Great Prices!
Oct 23, 2001, 04:11 PM
in pursuit of low wing loading
Horizon Hobby seems to have an exclusive on importing GWS planes, although others carry the motors and accessories. Because of freight costs, consider ordering a heat sink (about $1.50) and an extra cowl (about $2.00). If you want either of these later, freight is a problem. The standard landing gear wire is pretty flimsy, so if you land a bit hard you can crack it. The heat sink does get warm, so it is helping performance and supposedly makes the motor last longer.

Gordon
Oct 23, 2001, 05:00 PM
Been There! Done That!
Little Shop of Hobbies carries everything including GWS flight package, radios etc. Check it out! (No I have no interest in the operation, I just like to save money!)
Oct 23, 2001, 05:03 PM
Fish & Fly
OK. So, which "flight pack" is best to get with the TM?

I see several different ones listed at Horizon (Naro, Pico, Pico w/ 150 mAh) and I'm not sure which one would be best. Do all of those packs come with a 6-cell battery or is the 150 a 7-cell?

Also, I've seen some posts about powering these with the Ray-O-Vac 9V 150mAh NiMH battery (about $7 at WallyWorld). Will the stock motor do O.K. on that battery if you add the heat sink?
Oct 23, 2001, 05:06 PM
Been There! Done That!
Mine came with the 150mah 7 cell.
Oct 23, 2001, 06:42 PM
Alarm Bells Softening!
The Model Airplane News review recommended the Pico package: http://www.modelairplanenews.com/reviews/tiger_moth.asp

From Horizon I got the following quote from Allison, whom I dealt with. I ordered the 2025 to go with my new Flash 5X which arrived today! One UPS package down, one to go.

>For the GWS Tiger Moth you would need one of the following
>flight packs:
>GWS2020 Pico flight pack (for JR or Airtronics)
>GWS2025 Pico flight pack (for Futaba or Hitec)
>They are each priced at $84.99

Patrick
Oct 23, 2001, 06:57 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
My 2 cents.
Get the Pico pack 2010 or 2015 depending on your radio. These come with the 270 Nicads which will give better flights than the 150mah's. I get around 5 min on a 150 pack. These are all 6 cells you might want to get an extra battery (or two), possibly the 270's in 7 cells or 300 mah Nimh 7 cells. (from Radical RC)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...at=RPF#Listing

If you don't have one you will want to get a crystal to match your radio channel.
I think you should be able to use your HiTec crystal in the R4P, would anybody advise against it?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...at=RPX#listing
Last edited by Basketcase; Oct 23, 2001 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply