Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 19, 2011, 09:26 PM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
I found this. Maybe some one can expand on this idea?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2011, 09:32 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain
It should be possible, but you have to recompile the easyCap drivers for android (http://easycap.blogspot.com/p/driver.html), but unfortunately that is beyond my skills. Please be aware that there are many China-clone models of that device, which are incompatible with these drivers. It has to be a Syntek chipset (the clone ones are often called Somagic or SMB in win device manager). There are several working devices under different names too, i.e. LogiLink, Video Grabber, Mumbi etc. Plus your Android device must have sufficient usb voltage; on some devices the output is too low to power the grabber.

And hello to the forum, since its my first post!
welcome to the forum. how long have you been lurking?
Aug 19, 2011, 09:35 PM
Looks like the only thing holding this back is having the appropriate drivers for the USB video capture devices to work.

WHERE ARE THE PROGRAMMING GENIUSES AT??? Recompile these drivers!! LOL
Aug 20, 2011, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io
welcome to the forum. how long have you been lurking?
oh, about 2 years or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopancakes
IT might be ok as a backup screen but with my dazzle usb converter I get a 2.5 to 3 second delay on video feed from the actual controls im doing ( on a laptop pc ). Not sure about ezcap though i suspect its about the same delay. So Its probably a good idea to split the feed and use one to record and one to fly. I know there is a USB hub for the motorola tablet from verizon. but i think it only works with keyboards and mice? hmmm. not sure. i think a drivers issue might occur. Though im pretty sure someone has already hacked some android tablets to run windows xp and linux so maybe it might work hmm. i would do some deep research. also if you can get your tablet to run linux you might be able to run wine and install the windows driver. make sure you disable the wifi and cell signal also. it can interfere.
I can watch tv with my easycap-china-clones (damn chipsets, hint: look after the chipset in the ebay description) without any delay on my pc.

Any tablet with usb host (which should be almost all of them) should work, there are even android phones with usb hosts around ...

All we need are the recompiled linux drivers, the recorder app should not be an issue (for example look at this app and this on xda)
Last edited by Kain; Aug 20, 2011 at 01:36 AM.
Aug 20, 2011, 09:21 AM
My Toshiba Thrive has a full sized USB. If someone knows how to compile the drivers I'll get whichever USB device to try with it.
Oct 15, 2011, 12:37 PM
I'm using an haipad M8 (cheap china 100$ tablet) for "fpving" with a syntek usb dvr for video input (the well-known cheap china usb dvr with 4 av) and an usb serial ttl for retreiving gps data from an audio modem and ploting pan/tilt antenna tracker.

So, this is a "Not-a-guide" to try this on your tablet. Why "not-a-guide" ? because it's f.u.c.k.i.n.g h.a.r.d (but so cool and efficient at the field ^^) and 'cause i won't give a step by step guide (too hard, really....)

1. You need an android device (tablet or phone), not a iphone, ipad, i-suppositoire or else... Yes you could use your phone (i've tried some things on my sgs2 and it works, but too small...).
2. Your device must have an USB Host feature (can't work without this..)
3. Your device must be rooted and having adb (of course...)
4. You must have serious dev skills (really... if not, don't do it, don't even try )
5. You must be familiar with *nix environment (if not, don't do it)
6. You must understand what's written next (if not, don't even try)
7. All is depending of hardware and revision, so, there aren't "magic-apps" to download

If you haven't 4/5/6, don't even try, i'm already gone crazy with a friend (his tablet, not the friend himselft...). Buy an x86 windows laptop with tactil screen, take a saw, cut the keyboard part. Voila !

Now the "hard" parts

1. Get devices driver
2. Get devices working
3. Get app for your devices

1. android is a linux system, so your device driver is in the kernel or in a module for the kernel.

for syntek dongle, you could use the internal kernel driver (stkwebcam,stk11xx,videodev,v4l2) working with single AV version, or cross-compiling the easycapdc60 driver

a. driver already in the kernel (easy, you're a very lucky man). Go to "2"

b. you got kernel source / header for YOUR tablet -> get a *nix env with a cross-compiler and build your driver as module (beware of arch, cortex A8 is armv7t for example). Put your "ko" file in the tab and "insmod" it. If ok, go to "2" (lucky man too), if not, check file/modinfo for arch/kernel revision,dmesg. If you have a "module/export/function/symbol mismatch" go to, jump to 'c'.

c. this is the first f**cking hard point.... compiling a suitable module for a kernel which you don't have source....
try this http://www.chinadigitalcomm.com/haip...t10927-20.html. Complicated, but working. BTW, cp210x module for haipad m8 824 is available on this forum. cp210x is a cheap popular usb serial ttl dongle. If ok go to "2", if not, sorry but....

2. You've got kernel module loaded !!!, but is it working ?

a. insmod and plug your device, if you see it in "dmesg", youhou, it's raining men !!! Go to "3".

b. same as 'a' but you don't "find" your device (when i say "find", i'm meaning a way to access it), usually, device is:
- /dev/ttyUSBx for usb serial
- /dev/ttySx for bluetooth
- /dev/video0 or /dev/easycap0 for v4l/easycap/syntek
- check the original driver, usually the location of device is the same on a tablet
if you find it, go to "3", if not, hit your tablet with something heavy.... (depend of kernel, device, revision, android, tablet, driver, cross-compiling part, third app neede, many many many things could go wrong...)

c. your device is not recognized... sorry but.... take a look on regular linux system, if you device don't work an regular linux, it never works on a android tablet

3. You are f**king lucky !!! Now, need apps !

a. Write you apps from scratch, with android toolkit, java is easy dude ! But be carefull of one thing : all you have done before, has been done with "root" privilege, so, give root privilege to your app, or chmod your /dev/xxxx before (seriously, i'm almost gone mad with this, "cat /dev/ttyUSB0" < my serial link with mnea data, "open(new File("/dev/ttyUSB0"));" < NullPointerException, arrrrrrrgh, 2 night on this and finally, just a chmod on it.....)

b. Re-use and "magouille/charcute" an exiting app. (that's what i've done). usb<->ttl for antenna tracking is just classic file I/O and simple math on coordinate, but video.... I'm working with opencv on others projects and i know that working with video device, stream, images buffer, etc, is painfull, so, i've take an app that record video from the inboard cam, this tiny app you find in almost all tablet/phone. Replace the acquisition source by yours (in fact, most of time, this inboard camera is mapped in /dev folder ^_^, so just replace with the easycap one, or the one you're using) If not, i think it's working like v4l or javamedia, send image buffer as array (try 8/24b, 1 or 3chan, or float) btw, if you're here, this step shouldn't be a prob

c. you're supposed to have dev skills.... since the app you will use is very dependant of your configuration, i don't think you'll find a magic app which works "as it". try with standard android cam app, that's almost what i am doing

Hoping could help some people !
Oct 15, 2011, 01:19 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by penpen
I'm using an haipad M8 (cheap china 100$ tablet) for "fpving" with a syntek usb dvr for video input (the well-known cheap china usb dvr with 4 av) and an usb serial ttl for retreiving gps data from an audio modem and ploting pan/tilt antenna tracker.

So, this is a "Not-a-guide" to try this on your tablet. Why "not-a-guide" ? because it's f.u.c.k.i.n.g h.a.r.d (but so cool and efficient at the field ^^) and 'cause i won't give a step by step guide (too hard, really....)

1. You need an android device (tablet or phone), not a iphone, ipad, i-suppositoire or else... Yes you could use your phone (i've tried some things on my sgs2 and it works, but too small...).
4. You must have serious dev skills (really... if not, don't do it, don't even try )
7. All is depending of hardware and revision, so, there aren't "magic-apps" to download

If you haven't 4/5/6, don't even try, i'm already gone crazy with a friend (his tablet, not the friend himselft...). Buy an x86 windows laptop with tactil screen, take a saw, cut the keyboard part. Voila !

Now the "hard" parts

1. Get devices driver
2. Get devices working

1. android is a linux system, so your device driver is in the kernel or in a module for the kernel.

for syntek dongle, you could use the internal kernel driver (stkwebcam,stk11xx,videodev,v4l2) working with single AV version, or cross-compiling the easycapdc60 driver

b. you got kernel source / header for YOUR tablet -> get a *nix env with a cross-compiler and build your driver as module (beware of arch, cortex A8 is armv7t for example). Put your "ko" file in the tab and "insmod" it. If ok, go to "2" (lucky man too), if not, check file/modinfo for arch/kernel revision,dmesg. If you have a "module/export/function/symbol mismatch" go to, jump to 'c'.

c. this is the first f**cking hard point.... compiling a suitable module for a kernel which you don't have source....
try this http://www.chinadigitalcomm.com/haip...t10927-20.html. Complicated, but working. BTW, cp210x module for haipad m8 824 is available on this forum. cp210x is a cheap popular usb serial ttl dongle. If ok go to "2", if not, sorry but....

a. insmod and plug your device, if you see it in "dmesg", youhou, it's raining men !!! Go to "3".

b. same as 'a' but you don't "find" your device (when i say "find", i'm meaning a way to access it), usually, device is:
- check the original driver, usually the location of device is the same on a tablet
if you find it, go to "3", if not, hit your tablet with something heavy.... (depend of kernel, device, revision, android, tablet, driver, cross-compiling part, third app neede, many many many things could go wrong...)

c. your device is not recognized... sorry but.... take a look on regular linux system, if you device don't work an regular linux, it never works on a android tablet

a. Write you apps from scratch, with android toolkit, java is easy dude ! But be carefull of one thing : all you have done before, has been done with "root" privilege, so, give root privilege to your app, or chmod your /dev/xxxx before (seriously, i'm almost gone mad with this, "cat /dev/ttyUSB0" < my serial link with mnea data, "open(new File("/dev/ttyUSB0"));" < NullPointerException, arrrrrrrgh, 2 night on this and finally, just a chmod on it.....)

b. Re-use and "magouille/charcute" an exiting app. (that's what i've done). usb<->ttl for antenna tracking is just classic file I/O and simple math on coordinate, but video.... I'm working with opencv on others projects and i know that working with video device, stream, images buffer, etc, is painfull, so, i've take an app that record video from the inboard cam, this tiny app you find in almost all tablet/phone. Replace the acquisition source by yours (in fact, most of time, this inboard camera is mapped in /dev folder ^_^, so just replace with the easycap one, or the one you're using) If not, i think it's working like v4l or javamedia, send image buffer as array (try 8/24b, 1 or 3chan, or float) btw, if you're here, this step shouldn't be a prob

c. you're supposed to have dev skills.... since the app you will use is very dependant of your configuration, i don't think you'll find a magic app which works "as it". try with standard android cam app, that's almost what i am doing

Great work!!!!
Oct 15, 2011, 03:42 PM
last thing, compiling easycap DC60 is a bit tricky, so this is a hint for cross compiling it:

- download the driver
- beware with Oss and Alsa, check your tablet and disable/enable them
- run install.sh on your local linux system (this will generate Makefile)
- cd to src
- run this cmd
Quote:
make V=1 CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- -C /home/penpen/Asure KBUILD_SRC=/home/penpen/Asure KBUILD_EXTMOD="/home/penpen/easycap_dc60.0.9/src" -f /home/penpen/Asure/Makefile modules
with swapping "/home/penpen/Asure" with your android kernel tree, "/home/penpen/easycap_dc60.0.09/src" with your easycapDC60 src driver path and "arm-linux-gnueabi-" with your gcc/make toolchain prefix

beware of easycap.mod.c and memory addresses swap if your modpost script don't manage it.

now you've got an easycap.ko, check with file/modinfo and insmod it on your tablet.
Aug 29, 2012, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by penpen

Now the "hard" parts

1. Get devices driver
2. Get devices working

Hello!
A already built easycap driver but I can't do the viewer application for the moment.
Could you please share application sources to me? (in PM of course)
Nov 29, 2012, 07:57 AM
hi,
whaou this is a great hack!

Hope one day a magic app which works "as it" will exist!

..or a low cost video input usb dongle for tablets. I guess it will exist in the future as a large number of customers could enjoy to "use your tab as TV"
Jan 24, 2013, 05:40 PM

EasyCap & Tablet or Phone & Splashtop &FPV

Check out this video and you can see how you can use a tablet or phone as a second monitor for fpv. And their is almost no lag. To do it where there is no wifi you would have to create an ad-hoc network.
How to set up an ad-hoc network
http://support-splashtop2.splashtop....th-splashtop-2

How to set up splashtop
Tutorial: How to stream any console to any mobile device or tablet (10 min 58 sec)
Last edited by Vipvog; Jan 24, 2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: wrong info
Mar 29, 2013, 08:39 AM

Using a Mac or Raspberry Pi

Just a note, Easycap Viewer was just recently updated (0.6.1) to work with the Somagic version of the Easycap device so you can avoid having to use Windows.

I also suspect that something like this should be possible on the Raspberry Pi which would make a better device to haul out to the field.
Mar 29, 2013, 09:10 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Great news.
I was using it, need to check that new version. Previous had some issues even with the original EZCAP.
Mar 29, 2013, 10:24 AM
maybe not the original nature of the question, but pick up a windows 8 tablet and your good to go.

but How to get av recording on a $1000 device may be the question no one ever asked
Aug 07, 2014, 10:21 PM

More ??

I'm very surprised more are not doing this.

Quick Reply