New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:22 PM
THESANDMAN is offline
Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Registered User
THESANDMAN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
that hand aunch is one way to to motivate people to buy this plane . and to put a more powerful set up in it. although the plane looks draggy im sure with the right set up it can be pushed to at least 130mph . iff hand launched with a smaller props , thoughts anyone.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
Josef086 is offline
Find More Posts by Josef086
Registered User
Nose in in stock. Maybe in a few more months the canopy will be too! One day she will fly again.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
xviper is online now
Find More Posts by xviper
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef086 View Post
Nose in in stock. Maybe in a few more months the canopy will be too! One day she will fly again.
Got fed up with waiting all these months and just fixed it myself. Found a nose cone off another plane that fit perfectly over the existing bent up one. Horizon is not doing themselves any favors by taking so long to get parts. The Scimitar isn't the only product with this problem.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:44 AM
RustySpork is offline
Find More Posts by RustySpork
Registered User
Another AWESOME flight yesterday! Took her up with a nano tech 4500 4s. Heavier than what I normally use, but with the position about 3/4 inch back I didn't even notice the extra weight. Flies GREAT! Just like a big stryker. Got some tumbles, tried for a flat spin a few times but that part isn't as easy as with the stryker. All in all I got about 5min of flight. Landing is so easy with the brakes set up. Only put 2600mah back in, gonna shoot for 6-7 minutes next time (today?)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:30 PM
RustySpork is offline
Find More Posts by RustySpork
Registered User
Bump? I've been out a few times over the past couple of days. Still using the 4500mah 4s. Getting up to 12 minutes, even with lots of full throttle.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
BigEast is offline
Find More Posts by BigEast
Enjoying life through flight
Rusty, what is the behavior of the scimitar when you deploy brakes? Does it pitch up or pitch down? I've almost given up on the scimitar but I still have hope.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
robusp is online now
Find More Posts by robusp
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
robusp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEast View Post
Rusty, what is the behavior of the scimitar when you deploy brakes? Does it pitch up or pitch down? I've almost given up on the scimitar but I still have hope.
BigEast,
I have 2 settings for my brakes: light and extreme and both cause the plane to pitch up. I just simply mixed some elevator down with them.
It slows down so much I even elevator it vertically to land. Just once to try it. It is heavy plane especially with 5000mAh, but it worked.
Most of the time I use the brakes on final approach to bleed the speed, but I release them right above the ground to gain full rudder control.
Rob
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:25 PM
BigEast is offline
Find More Posts by BigEast
Enjoying life through flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
BigEast,
I have 2 settings for my brakes: light and extreme and both cause the plane to pitch up. I just simply mixed some elevator down with them.
It slows down so much I even elevator it vertically to land. Just once to try it. It is heavy plane especially with 5000mAh, but it worked.
Most of the time I use the brakes on final approach to bleed the speed, but I release them right above the ground to gain full rudder control.
Rob
Thanks! What are your percentage values on the brakes and on the pitching up compensation? Mine are currently at 60% and 10% but I haven't tried it out yet.

Also, I 'm debating whether or not to take off of the 2 inch grass or hand launch.... My little wheelie bar on the tail skid helps but the prop still gets nicked...
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
robusp is online now
Find More Posts by robusp
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
robusp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEast View Post
Thanks! What are your percentage values on the brakes and on the pitching up compensation? Mine are currently at 60% and 10% but I haven't tried it out yet.

Also, I 'm debating whether or not to take off of the 2 inch grass or hand launch.... My little wheelie bar on the tail skid helps but the prop still gets nicked...
Your values might be different due to overall throw.
I say try it at different speeds (all except wot) and you'll know.

I am flying mine on APC 9x7.5 and have no problems with nicks.
Rob
Last edited by robusp; Oct 20, 2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:20 PM
BigEast is offline
Find More Posts by BigEast
Enjoying life through flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
Your values might be different due to overall throw.
I say try it at different speeds (all except wot) and you'll know.

I am flying mine on APC 9x7.5 and have no problems with nicks.
Rob
Thanks again!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:56 AM
BigEast is offline
Find More Posts by BigEast
Enjoying life through flight
What's been the general success rate with grass/stock prop?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
xviper is online now
Find More Posts by xviper
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEast View Post
What's been the general success rate with grass/stock prop?
You mean taking off from grass? It works but the Scimitar becomes a lawn mower. Gravel runways are a complete prop destroyer. I'm still getting up the nerve to discus throw it.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:25 AM
pipertec is offline
Find More Posts by pipertec
Registered User
Just bought one yesterday and got it put together today. Can't wait to fly it.....w/retracts!!!!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:00 AM
BigEast is offline
Find More Posts by BigEast
Enjoying life through flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipertec View Post
Just bought one yesterday and got it put together today. Can't wait to fly it.....w/retracts!!!!
You'll love it! It 's really a great plane. Add some speed brakes like I did and it will be able to land in relatively small spaces. Good luck!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:42 PM
RustySpork is offline
Find More Posts by RustySpork
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
BigEast,
I have 2 settings for my brakes: light and extreme and both cause the plane to pitch up. I just simply mixed some elevator down with them.
It slows down so much I even elevator it vertically to land. Just once to try it. It is heavy plane especially with 5000mAh, but it worked.
Most of the time I use the brakes on final approach to bleed the speed, but I release them right above the ground to gain full rudder control.
Rob
Yep, everything Rob says is exactly as it is for me. Pitches up, not unmanageable without a mix but the mix will help. I would advise against doing maneuvers with them deployed, as it can get pretty slippery in turns, but they're perfect for bleeding off speed/altitude on your landing approach. I also release them before touchdown.

Good to see this thread a little active again!!


Thread Tools