Nov 07, 2011, 08:26 AM
Ah okay. I just want to measure one voltage more on the E-OSD and will power it by an external 5V voltage regulator which is directly connected to the FPV-Lipo.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2011, 08:48 AM
CL-OSD developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjelli
Ah okay. I just want to measure one voltage more on the E-OSD and will power it by an external 5V voltage regulator which is directly connected to the FPV-Lipo.
Ok, if you are not using it for servos it will be fine.
Nov 08, 2011, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjelli
Would it be possible to remove the 78L05 from E-OSD, power the whole unit via 5V directly from the programming pin and still use BATT1 to measure a Voltage?
FWIW, I'm powering my E_OSD from 5v directly to the +5 on the programming pin. Haven't flown it yet but seems to work fine.

I de-soldered the 2-pin Video/GND header and replaced it with a 3-pin header where the third pin was straight instead of right-angles. Then I soldered a tiny wire from the third pin to the +5 programming header (which is very close).

This really suits me as I have a 5v (fatshark) camera connected to a fatshark vtx which supplies 5v. These are connected together using a regular 3-wire servo cable (vid/+5/gnd, I dont use audio). I simply put a y-lead into this cable and connected it to my new 3-pin connector on the E_OSD and I get video/gnd and +5v all in one! I have a second cable which connects to my GPS.

I dont currently use any of the batt connectors. My only onboard battery is a 4S, not sure if I can monitor that or not, does anyone know if the voltage-divider can monitor 4S ok?

Dave

PS. I can post pics of this mod if you are interested.
Nov 08, 2011, 03:02 PM
Suspended Account
i would plug into the first 3 cells.

does anyone have a picture of the dimming resistor? i cant find it!
Nov 08, 2011, 04:31 PM
CL-OSD developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117
does anyone have a picture of the dimming resistor? i cant find it!
If you look at this schematic (it's for e-osd but g-osd is almost the same) you find R8. That's the dimming resistor.
Now on you board look for a resistor with 121 (120 ohm) on it (there is only one). That's the dimming resistor irl!

On the g-osd it's the one closest to the programing port. On the e-osd it's close to the programming port.
Nov 08, 2011, 06:50 PM
Suspended Account
Thank you very much, I see it now.

I get "pencil mod" from computer hardware. Back in the day we would pencil resistors to raise the voltage for core and memory(allows higher overclock). Same thing should work here

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...voltmods/101/2

I've penciled the resistor from 120-121 ohms to 114 ohms. Will test and post results.
Last edited by chatch15117; Nov 08, 2011 at 06:56 PM.
Nov 08, 2011, 07:16 PM
Suspended Account
101 ohms

I will probably make it 90 ohms (if I can put that much graphite on there lol) to make the text extra readable.

Edit: it leveled off at like 99 ohms.
Last edited by chatch15117; Nov 08, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Nov 09, 2011, 08:23 PM
Suspended Account
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsLHJZvnfrw

2nd flight(not recorded due to low laptop battery) results:

Stats are a little wacky. I don't think I went 255kph or NEARLY that high. LOS is correct though. I went to 750m today. Next time there is no wind I will try 1km+
Last edited by chatch15117; Nov 09, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
Nov 12, 2011, 11:45 PM
Power-line attraction pilot
so it appears the original G-OSD with GPS etc... for less than $40 doesn't exist anymore... Given funds i am kinda stuck getting the E-OSD.

What exactly can the CL-OSD software do for me in the case that i only have 1 or 2 E-OSDs and not a full featured OSD like G-OSD?

Can i add GPS to the E-OSD and be able to display that info? Or... is the processor in the E-OSD limited in capability/functionality?
Nov 13, 2011, 01:03 AM
Suspended Account
same processor. you need to get a gps. I tried and failed. You can have my GPS chip if you live in the US
Nov 13, 2011, 01:39 AM
Power-line attraction pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117
same processor. you need to get a gps. I tried and failed. You can have my GPS chip if you live in the US
Great! Super interested! Pm me details?
Nov 13, 2011, 11:38 AM
Read carefully caall. It is not the same board. Less input pins. G-OSD has batt1,batt2 and rssi.
Soldering to connect GPS to E-osd is not easy.
Tiny soldering pads. There are pictures in this thread.

Parity
Nov 13, 2011, 12:33 PM

G-OSD/E-OSD with AHI

Hi. I just want to show you guys my results. I changed CL-OSD to use it with an E-OSD unit to show an artifical horizon indicator. Therefor I desoldered the 5k1 resistor of the voltage divider of the main battery, which powers the unit. I am still able to power the E-OSD with my FPV Lipo (11.1V) but I cannot measure that value anymore. Thats not a problem because I read that value with my G-OSD. I tried to read the values out of the MMA7361 (accelerometer) which worked, kinda. But it gave me too low voltages on the OSD. So I built a voltage follower and just put it between the E-OSD and the accelerometer and then I got the right voltages. Now I was able to measure small voltages directly so I soldered the x-axis-output of the accelerometer (via voltage follower) to the input of the E-OSD and soldered the y-axis behind the 5k1 resistor so i skipped that voltage divider as well. Then I changed the CL-OSD firmware which took a little while and now I have got a nice little AHI for 20$. Here are some pictures...

Here's the unit which can be powered directly with 8-14 Volts and outputs only the AHI.

That is my whole FPV setup consisting of a 900mAh FPV-Lipo, a transmitter, a camera, one G-OSD, one E-OSD (both flashed with my own versions of CL-OSD), the receiver with selfmade RSSI output (including voltage follower). In this picture the GPS is missing.

Thats the result with both, E-OSD and G-OSD, working.
Nov 14, 2011, 02:55 AM
Ikaruswannab
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99
so it appears the original G-OSD with GPS etc... for less than $40 doesn't exist anymore...
http://abc-rc.pl/p/63/2770/plyta-pol...125mm-fpv.html

Maybe this will do
Nov 14, 2011, 04:52 AM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
guys .. this is pretty amazing !
is there somewhere along this very-long-thread a complete walk through ?
it is very difficult to follow all the tech data ..

i have one of those https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19369

and one of those https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_E_OSD.html

are they any good for this project ?

thank you !

Quick Reply