Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by Gregg28
Don't lie to my dog.
Here are the instructions...
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:44 AM
Find More Posts by ColinB
Thanks Greg - that gives me an idea of something else to try.

Well, it worked, sort of. Operation on 7.2v separate battery is even slower than running off the receiver. Weird. I wonder if I made a bad solder connection....

Colin
Last edited by ColinB; Mar 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by ColinB
The "spool" of the winch should be removable, right? Just like any other sail arm? Mine doesn't want to come off, and I don't want to force it.
Colin
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by wim bakker

Whirlwind Olympic

Hi
I just stumbled upon this thread.
A couple of weeks ago, I had 2 WW Olympics serviced and brought back to life.
This was done by a man in Germany who was reccomended to me by some German RCSailors.
He is quite elderly and I corresponded in German.
When anyone is interested, I could get in touch and take it from there.
Please contact me off list.
Old Nov 03, 2015, 05:14 AM
Find More Posts by Joost vs
I also use a Hitec 785 for a old Marblehead, both mainsail and jib simultaneously. It can do almost 4.25 turns in my case with a Flysky FS I6 transmitter. I have seen them at Aliexpress though I have bought it at a local store. Cost was about 40$
Works nicely.
Any pictures of your boat ?
Old Nov 03, 2015, 05:17 AM
Find More Posts by Joost vs
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurosystem0 View Post
First let me declare I am brand new a RC in general and yachts in particular. So be gentle with me.
I have just acquired a very tired Marblehead Registration UK/GB K3694
Its a winter project to restore.. My first problem is the sail winch. It is a Whirlwind Olympic 7.2 V with a white pulley circa 1". The winch has the normal 3 leads from RX for power and signal but also has additional 2 lead for own power supply. The winch is not functioning properly in that on the RX only leads the winch pinch just judders.

With its own power and the RX lead connected to winch the winch rotates continuously anti clockwise. As soon as I try to reverse the rotation with the TX the winch just judders and will not then even rotate anti clockwise. The winch also has a small adjustment screw at the base which doesnt appear to do anything.

So questions;
Can which be recoverd?

If yes any tips?

Does anybody in Uk have one to sell?

If no, can anyone identify a suitable plug and play replacement thet is strong enough to manage a 7foot sail rig?

The replacement needs to be a "pulley system" rather than a lever because or room etc.

Finally does anybody have any knowledge of the yacht K3694.

All help appreciated.
Regards to all
May be one can recognize ihe boat from a picture . So upload a picture?
Old Nov 03, 2015, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by boomboom124
Boomboom124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest View Post
Whirlwind winches are no longer available. You might consider replacing it with an RMG winch. https://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/

I had a Olympic Whirlwind winch like yours in an EC12. Once it failed, that was it. There's no repair possible.
Yes they can!
They are easily repaired if you have the spare parts.
It sounds as if the pot has gone.
You could try replacing the pot with some RS pots that are suitable.
Elsewise, consider buying a Titan winch from UK.