This thread is privately moderated by binaryclock, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 15, 2011, 11:26 PM
I hate winter!
Thread OP
Discussion

The state of binaryclock

This is my first blog entry. I hope to fill this blog with some cool videos and great tips/info in the future. I'm waiting on my 818 #11 camera to arrive and when it does then it's time to record lots of good stuff

I've been in to RC my entire life but only recently got in to RC airplanes. My son sold his railroad tracks and got a few hundred dollars so we took a trip to the hobby shop and picked up some good ole' fashion rockets and.. a champ Well he wanted the corsair, but the LHS guy made him put it back and told us we needed the champ. Thank god he set us straight right from the beginning

After a few flights with the champ, I was hooked. For the week or so I basically let him fly all the time, and I get a few flights in here and there. As his attention with the champ decayed, I took more opportunities to fly the champ. The more I flew it the more I decided I really wanted to master this thing. I wanted to get good enough to fly it in front of the house instead of in the park. I started flying more regularly, at least 5-6 flights a day on it. Eventually I mastered it and wanted more!

I found rcgroups.com and read everything I could about rc airplanes. I wanted to find out what the next good step up would be. The good people on rcgroups.com recommended the UM T-28. I decided to take a trip out to the LHS and behold, they had the UM T-28. I decided to pick it up and boy I'm glad I did. The UM T-28 was my toy now, not my boy's :P The first few flights were nerve racking.. I didn't want to crash it up like we did to the champ! I flew it pretty well the first few times, but I was nervous and that made me sink it a couple times. I never thought I'd be able to fly it in my street like the champ.. never! But 20-30 flights in, I was really getting the hang of this aileron thing I found I could fly it in winds up to 20km/h as long as they were constant winds and not changing directional gusts. I forced myself to fly in winds, land in cross winds, etc. I found I got to the point where I mastered the UM T-28, and guess what.. I wanted more

At this time my son wanted to purchase the Super Cub LP with his remaining $ so we did. On maiden we had a blast. Man was this thing so much larger and had so much more authority in the air. It was a scary thing seeing such a large craft way up there over the corn fields because we were so used to the ultra micros. The Super Cub LP was easy to master since it was basically a larger version of the champ. It didn't take long until both my son and I were doing touch and gos, perfect landings, etc.

After a week or two with the super cub and UM T-28, I decided to purchase a UMX Beast for $99. I thought since I mastered the UM T-28, it was time for the Beast. Let me say that there is really nothing that can prepare you for the beast (unless you already have flown a UM sbach or UM extra 300.) The beast is extremely agile, twitchy, and can go from air to ground in a blink of an eye. However it is an extremely amazing UM and I will buy another when it is time to retire this one. The power and ability of the UMX beast is heads and tails over the UM T-28 or Champ. It is completely in a different class altogether with its 2s battery and brushless setup. However, it is definitely not for beginners so make sure you log the time on your UM T-28 and other aileron planes before even thinking about being able to handle the beast! Earn your wings first, but it is definitely worth it.

I've now got about 50-60 flights on the beast and I can tell you even after that amount of time, it still gives you a good adrenaline rush each time. You just can't take your eye off this bird.. you have to have full concentration when flying!

Hope you enjoyed reading my first blog entry of how I got in to RC airplanes and my current experience up to this point. I'm absolutely having a ball and it's captured my imagination!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2011, 04:21 PM
I fly em', there for I am.

Nice Blog and story

I clicked on your picture to see if I could get a better view and it took me to your blog. Great story and being a father of 3 daughters, I enjoy the Father/son stories. Thank you for sharing.

Quick Reply