Sep 18, 2019, 04:25 PM
Wingnutz

Mains have stopped retracting...

Hoping someone who knows more than I is still reading this thread...
During a recent tx reprogramming, both main gear retracts stopped working, while the nose gear continues to retract, extend normally.
The wiring harness which feeds the main retracts is fine as it will power other retracts consistently.
Im pretty sure the problem is the retracts themselves.
Is there any way short of replacing them to coax them back to life? Id prefer not to remove them from the model as the servo wires have gotten glued in place and pulling them out is going to damage something. I already have replacement retracts but I really would like to get the old ones working.
Help !
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 05:27 PM
Have you tried using a servo tester.. take the wires from the 3 way connector and check them one by one... If they work and if you have access to an air hose give them a blow as there might be grit or dust jamming the gears..
Sep 19, 2019, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Quantock
Hoping someone who knows more than I is still reading this thread...
During a recent tx reprogramming, both main gear retracts stopped working, while the nose gear continues to retract, extend normally.
The wiring harness which feeds the main retracts is fine as it will power other retracts consistently.
Im pretty sure the problem is the retracts themselves.
Is there any way short of replacing them to coax them back to life? Id prefer not to remove them from the model as the servo wires have gotten glued in place and pulling them out is going to damage something. I already have replacement retracts but I really would like to get the old ones working.
Help !
That sounds more like a wiring issue. Check that all your connections are tight and polarity is correct. If you don't have a servo tester take a known good servo and plug it into the retract leads one at a time. If it doesn't work it's the leads. If it does it's the retracts.
Sep 19, 2019, 05:10 AM
Wingnutz

Solved by earlier post

Agedflier and trroadster, thanks. I thought it was a wiring issue too, but don’t think so now. The answer was in this thread...post#11351...Faulty unresponsive Retract fix...it worked! Thanks jiggz! I should have mentioned the retracts sat unused over the summer and I think the micro switches in the retracts just stuck...siezed or whatever.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:45 AM
A lot of knowledge in this thread for a much beloved model
Sep 19, 2019, 08:45 AM
All's well that ends well....
Sep 19, 2019, 10:04 AM
HZ Super Cub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin
A lot of knowledge in this thread for a much beloved model
It's a fantastic first EDF model!

I have to fly mine as a belly lander because our field is grass and not super smooth, but it's still a blast to fly.
Sep 20, 2019, 09:06 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
I accidentally landed in the grass with gear down. Mains are fine but it pulled the ply nosewheel mount away from the foam.

Has anyone a good method of reinforcing this area?
Sep 20, 2019, 04:55 PM
Dinosaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
I accidentally landed in the grass with gear down. Mains are fine but it pulled the ply nosewheel mount away from the foam.

Has anyone a good method of reinforcing this area?
I launch mine via a catapault, but also have to contend with a roughish grass/dirt strip. I have left the mains on mine, which I use to keep grass and FOD out of the cheater vent during landing. I abandoned the nosewheel many moons ago, and now fill the whole of the nose area -around the 5S battery and the nosewheel cavity - with expanda foam. This significantly increases damage tolerance to the nose area. I have FoamTac'd a patch of thin aluminium under the nose to resist damage during the landing slide. This arrangement works well for me.
Sep 26, 2019, 02:56 PM
This is a great flyer but the nose wheel set up is bad. Almost every one I've seen, the pull-pull got so sloppy it had no directional control. I wish there is an easy upgrade that uses a pushrod setup.
Sep 26, 2019, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesd
This is a great flyer but the nose wheel set up is bad. Almost every one I've seen, the pull-pull got so sloppy it had no directional control. I wish there is an easy upgrade that uses a pushrod setup.

Vince,,, Start with checking posts #2480 and #5249.. They have modified to use pushrods.. I always check "view attachments" for my information.

Hope this helps..
Oct 11, 2019, 10:25 PM
Wow, I was on the fence... Then I saw this incredible thread! Mine is on its way now. Thanks everyone for this amazing thread!

Quick Reply