Aug 15, 2011, 02:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking for an inbetween camera. Better than HD Keychain Cam, cheaper than gopro?

I'm wondering if there is a good HD video camera, that is better than the $40 HD keychain cam, while still being more affordable than the HD hero.

I love the HD hero, I think a wide fov is a must, and its reliable, but I just don't have the finances or nerves to risk a $260 camera (especially when I push the limits of height, windy conditions, etc).

The HD Keychain camera is awesome, but only problem, the FOV is too narrow, resulting in more shaky footage and video that isn't as immersive. The cheap little .67x lenses help, but create too much blurring of the edges, and little fish eye lenses cause horrible distortion.

Is there any inbetween camera anyone knows of that can provide nice HD footage with a wide FOV similar to the gopro, but without as steep of price tag?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2011, 02:56 PM
Look at this!
http://www.winddeal.com/goods_aWQJMjI2Mg==.html
Aug 15, 2011, 04:09 PM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
That cam seems to have the same specs as the $35 Hobby King 720p cam, including the 120deg AOV. Needs a really good card to minimize duplicate frames because it's MJPEG AVI, there's a few threads here

The Kodak point and shoots are better in many ways but weigh 3-4oz. The ZxD I have is about $50 as a refurb, and is great with an add on wide angle ($16 at Dealextreme). It shoots 720p at 60FPS, H-264 MOV format

Frame grabs from the Kodak here
Last edited by victapilot; Aug 15, 2011 at 04:22 PM.
Aug 15, 2011, 04:10 PM
Check this thread

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1328007

I got it and I'm pleased - not so expensive with decent image and quite vibration resistant. Also it has live AV-out.
Aug 15, 2011, 05:31 PM
go pro 960
Aug 15, 2011, 07:01 PM
My best and clearest camera is my Kodak Play Sport. I also have a Sony Bloggie that is light and takes good video.
Aug 16, 2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864
I love the HD hero, I think a wide fov is a must, and its reliable, but I just don't have the finances or nerves to risk a $260 camera (especially when I push the limits of height, windy conditions, etc).
If you like the wide FOV, just get a HD960, if the FOV isnt an issue you can find refurbished Sony PM5 Bloggies for $55 at Sony stores.
Aug 16, 2011, 08:39 PM
Thread OP
Well, the 720P mode on the gopro is a little too wide, with too much distortion for my taste (at least for flying), I think I would prefer the 1080P mode for flying, which the 960 doesn't have.

The kodak playsport and sony bloggie seem like interesting choices. Seen refurbs of the playsport for around $90, seems good but very unaerodynamic, unless you guys somehow mod them.

As far as the sony bloggie, I've seen a few different versions, is the one you guys use the one with the rotating lens? Seems like that would work real good, just flip it vertical so its aerodynamic.

Anyone know if the "image stabalization" on these actually helps with RC vibrations?
Aug 16, 2011, 09:09 PM
Just thumbing through...
The Kodak cams are not aerodynamic for sure, but it it's less critical than I first thought. I have mine sticking up in the wind, but close as possible to the COG. Then the rudder still has effectiveness. I use it on a 2-3 m sailplanes. The objective is just to haul the camera up and make movies, not demonstrate high G aerobatics!

They are good shirt pocket cams too.
Aug 17, 2011, 07:01 AM
Bloggies are now at $39 with 4gb memory stick and 360 lens, damn thats cheap, If I didnt already have two I would probably buy more.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...XKmjKN3QE1V5NA
Aug 17, 2011, 07:04 AM
Last week, I bought two Zx3 Kodaks, one for $50, the other for $75 off Ebay. (some consider them better than the newer, Zx5) I needed WP cams because I will use them for kitesurfing. The pic below is a GoPro wide.

I have three other Kodak versions of pocket cams and like the Zi8 the best of these. The Creative VADO HD is pretty slim, does decent video but has kludgy controls - also cheap used. ..as are used FLIP cams - cheap.

I joined this group because of the #11 cams. I like them (except the fiddly controls!) but lost one, and salt-watered another last week. I make grips for cams.

Jim
Aug 17, 2011, 08:53 AM
I am working on a 'Lifejacket' for the Playsport. (None of the decent WP cams float..even ones that use external housings like the FLIP and GoPro.) ..but I am posting this to share some weights of a few cams I grabbed, as that is an obvious consideration for many of you. My kites boost my 190lbs -thirty feet- if I am lucky, so weight is Nada.

The #11 is <17grams ... VADO 92g ... Zx1 91g ... GoPro w/housing 137g ... Playsport 143g ... Zi8 143g

Jim
Aug 17, 2011, 11:57 AM
Thread OP
I just went ahead and ordered the sony bloggie from the same link patch posted. My research seems to indicate the video quality isn't as good as the kodak, but its got some advantages of its own.

The price of $39.99 with 4gb memory (open box item), combined with it having the swivel lens (so I can simply mount it almost any way, on any aircraft without major aerodynamic hassles) what sold me. Plus I much prefer the MP4 container, over the MOV container, and also apparently the bloggie can do live video out for fpv.

Seems like a major bargain for all that functionality for even cheaper than the HD keychain cam (keychain cam was $40 plus $10 for memory). I'm excited.

Wetstuff: Sweet kiteboarding pics, I've been taking up kiteboarding as well. What an awesome little keychain camera velcro mount, but is that how the other one got "salt watered".
Aug 17, 2011, 04:28 PM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetstuff
I am working on a 'Lifejacket' for the Playsport. (None of the decent WP cams float..even ones that use external housings like the FLIP and GoPro.) ..but I am posting this to share some weights of a few cams I grabbed, as that is an obvious consideration for many of you. My kites boost my 190lbs -thirty feet- if I am lucky, so weight is Nada.

The #11 is <17grams ... VADO 92g ... Zx1 91g ... GoPro w/housing 137g ... Playsport 143g ... Zi8 143g

Jim
The Kodak ZxD goes also 142g, but without the two AA batteries it is 86g. It can be powered via the UBEC at 5v, and works without the batteries in place. Of course it has a LCD screen which is a $80 option for GoPro HD!!

Here's a vid - from the ground this time

B29 Joe Nall 5-11-2011 (7 min 19 sec)
Aug 17, 2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks Carl.. Ya, I dropped the kite in a no-air situation, it rolled and got backwashed in the lines. That would not happen if there had been any air. I had the VADO hooked to the other side of the strut. Eh?!.."Nothing ventured.."
I'll be trying the two Kodaks tomorrow.

Victa .. That's a helluva an air show. The B-29 certainly caught my attention, but scanning the flight line was another eye opener. You guys certainly have a good time and engineering skills. Beautiful stuff.

Jim

Quick Reply