Installing Spektrum Telemetry in a Stryker F-27Q - RC Groups
Aug 13, 2011, 04:42 PM
Discussion

Installing Spektrum Telemetry in a Stryker F-27Q

A day or two ago somebody was having trouble with an airspeed sensor in an F-27Q. I made some suggestions, and he's off implementing them I believe. Meanwhile, at the field today (testing), I had some down time so I added more telemetry to my flying testbed F-27Q.

Attached are photos I took as I installed it. The captions provide step-by-step instructions.

I ended up with everything except RPM, and that's only because I didn't have an RPM sensor handy. If I had, I would have put it in there too.

After doing this, we tested the setup. Normal flying was in the 75-80 range. Max altitude was a little over 1600' (I could only see it because I knew where it was)! Max airspeed - full power vertical dive from about max alt - was about 114 MPH, my son Ian watching as it descended.

Max airspeed recorded on the Min/Max screen was 116 MPH.

After I did that, we re-outfitted my 40-size Kaos. Max altitude was over 2300 feet before it disappeared and I had to bring it back down.

Aside from the voltage stuff being useful, this telemetry is a heck of a lot of fun!

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2011, 11:32 AM
Andy, Back in the DX8 thread you said it was possible to make the Stryker climb in an inverted flat spin. Please tell me how.
Aug 15, 2011, 11:46 AM
One of the air guys said it, I haven't figured it out myself yet. Still working on that. I'll probably have to get them to show me. They were playing with the UMX Strykers that day, maybe that's what they did it with.

Andy
Nov 01, 2011, 01:30 PM
RCHN #150
How is the airspeed working for you? I still get odd results for max/min.

I set the telemetry to "warn" me when the speed exceeds 100 mph, for example. I'll get a beep during a normal flight and when I land, I see that my max speed was, say 200 to 500 mph. Not likely.

Rick
Nov 02, 2011, 02:15 PM
I still fly it all the time and I've never had a problem. How does your installation differ from my photos?

BTW, I've since added the G-Meter and another soon-to-come-out sensor and man, it's FUN!

Andy
Nov 02, 2011, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I still fly it all the time and I've never had a problem. How does your installation differ from my photos?

BTW, I've since added the G-Meter and another soon-to-come-out sensor and man, it's FUN!

Andy
Don't tell me you get paid for this as well!!!

Nov 04, 2011, 12:37 AM
OK, I won't tell!

Andy
Nov 04, 2011, 02:29 PM
Quote:

Andy
I hope the soon to come out sensor is GPS.
Nov 06, 2011, 07:10 PM
RCHN #150
Quote:

Andy
Top of rudder.
Rick
Nov 07, 2011, 02:14 PM
Interesting, I could see getting bad data during high alpha, but in general flight it should be fine.

Andy
Apr 02, 2012, 08:10 AM
RCHN #150
Well, Andy, I finally got it to work.

Apparently, there was some type of interference from the other telemetry devices in the plane. I had (1) speed, (2) altitude, (3) battery volts, (5) Rx volts, and (6) RPMs.

All I have on the plane now is speed and battery volts. The speed works perfectly. I got 106 yesterday in level flight.

Rick
Apr 02, 2012, 10:50 AM
WOW!! I usually top out around 80 in level flight, and need to do a dive to get it past 100.

I have all those sensors in mine right now, PLUS GPS and GForce, and it works together just fine.

I'm glad you have it working, though. Keep having fun!!!

Andy
Oct 03, 2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys for this information as I am new to all this telemetry stuff.
I said I would never be interested in this but have a new DX-9....yes ,now maybe.
Would like to add airspeed to my 1/3 scale airplanes.
Can I set a low speed warning....stall??
All new to this 70+ guy so any advice.
Oct 03, 2014, 12:40 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
You can but one problem some have encoutered is when you are on the ground and the model is powered up you would get low airspeed alarm.

When monitoring voltage for example and alarm triggers you can clear the alarm and the alarm will reset if the voltage goes above and then back down it will trigger again so maybe something similar can happen for airspeed.

I have one but haven't experimented with it too much but I'm sure Andy will chime in shortly.
Oct 03, 2014, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
You can but one problem some have encoutered is when you are on the ground and the model is powered up you would get low airspeed alarm.
So you push CLEAR and then you won't hear it again until you get above the designated speed and THEN slow down again.

It's a non-problem.

Andy