Aug 12, 2011, 03:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Snowfox 20-swept forward canard for 6400

Snowfox 20 for 6400 brick and similar; 20"ws pusher canard. larger version of the firefox, approximate proportions. 1015 brushless motor with kenway geabox, gws 6/3 prop. 5mm board foam on wing, canard, fins and keel; 3mm upper and side fuse, 1mm elevons; epp nose; uhu por glue, cf 1mm rods on wing/canard, fuse. 60 gr auw with 1 240 hyperion cell.
when i watched a Firefox flying, i wanted to try 1, but they were not available, so i decided to make 1 with about same proportions, just larger.
i used the 1015 geared, as it is brushless, and therefore will last way longer than using a brushed, as in the pusher version the motor would turn the other way and the brushes would last less. i used different structure and materials dimensions. i am still in the process of tunning it up, playing with cg and trim, but it is a fascinating view. i like pushers, and was not able to develop 1 in this size yet. pics in my blog. hope videos soon.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2011, 01:02 PM
Thread OP

test flights

at the beginning the cg was at 30mm ahead of the 'v' shaped intersection of the wing and the fillet, like the original firefox. i used a flat 5mm airfoil. flight was funny, as unexpectedly it stalled and fell to a side on its tail.
later, i added a top section from 1mm foam, to form a shape like a clark y airfoil to 50% of the chord, and a step. see the type of airfoil here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1397047&page=2 (post 21) similar, except that this 1 has a flat bottom.
i still was experiencing the same situation. then i enlarged the canard. but it was not until i began to move the cg forward that the plane became fully controllable. it balances now at the tips of the wings-some 20mm forward. it flies slowly and if stop the motor, it glides nicely. i have not tried any stunts yet. and the 1015 geared brushless performs beautifully. now with the extra ballast, auw is 77 g, that the motor/gb still handles well. still, i think that if i have to build another, i better make a longer reinforced nose so it balances as needed and i don't have to add extra weight.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Aug 24, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
Aug 23, 2011, 03:43 PM
Phil what was your solution for elevons with the 6400?
TODD
Aug 23, 2011, 05:12 PM
Thread OP

vtail mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv
Phil what was your solution for elevons with the 6400?
TODD
am using v tail mix and it works straightforward when connecting the pushrods directly and not crossed (as i was doing before).

but now i still have the challenge of learning about the hk rx that needs a module and a remote, and now they released another rx that does not need a module/remote. so much to test!

Quick Reply