Jul 23, 2012, 11:15 PM
manual flying apologist
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky
My octo isn't that powerful (2.2:1 thrust:weight ratio) and it recovered well from a motor failure in flight. If It hadn't been at low level and near me I might not even have noticed - the sideways displacement was no more than I get from a wind gust.
yeah that is what i know for a Y6, which would make sense in my brain that with more motors you could have a lower thrust to weight ratio and survive since there are more motors to share the thrust.

I have had a midair collision that left my Y6 with only 5 props and I flew away from it (but i was closer to 3:1)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2012, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa
Yep, you type too slow. I beat you to it. ��
No prizes for beating me in a typing race!
Jul 23, 2012, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275
yeah that is what i know for a Y6, which would make sense in my brain that with more motors you could have a lower thrust to weight ratio and survive since there are more motors to share the thrust.

I have had a midair collision that left my Y6 with only 5 props and I flew away from it (but i was closer to 3:1)
Yes, I think the flat octo has the most redundancy of the common multicopter types, which is why I built it - the payload is $2000 worth of camera gear.

Your point is very valid though - just adding up the thrust of the remaining motors and seeing if that's more than the weight doesn't tell the story - the big issue is the FC regaining control before the aircraft has got into an attitude the FC can't cope with.
Jul 23, 2012, 11:21 PM
Quote:
If you notice when ever you arm the copter and don't move the throttle, the copter auto shuts down the motors. In intelligent mode.
I'm still building so haven't gone through that yet.

Quote:
So say You are flying 300m up and for some reason you flicked fails safe switch to on wile descending, at throttle below %10.
The motors will auto shut down in mid flight. Your copter will fall from sky.
And may end up hitting a guy.
That guy may end up loosing one eye.
And you may end up cry.

Just do what the manual says and you should be ok.
I never mentioned flicking the failsafe switch on. I simply said if Tx is powered off and PPM goes into failsafe, (which for Graupner's, PPM goes dead at the receiver) how would the WKM react.

I find pages 17 and 18 in the manual just plain brutal to understand. Thanks for the headsup from both of you who responded though. I guess I'll have to route each channel separately.

Coming from the MK I have a hard time with the DJI FS logic. Also, it appears that one cannot have both the Go-Home and gimbal tilt on switches (X3 supports either but not both).

How are you guys getting by? sortof regret purchasing the WKM now
Jul 23, 2012, 11:24 PM

Flashing Greens to confirm "Home" Recorded

Since I went to firmware 2.12 my WK-M doesn't give me the confirmation flashes. It actually has recorded the home position, I checked that by going to Home Lock.

It's the same with FW 2.12a as well.

Anyone else noticed this?
Jul 23, 2012, 11:29 PM
Cool I misunderstand you. Yep I too have the mx20. Unfortunate for us we dont get to benefit from the new ppm feature.

One member did mentioned that the craft should still fly ok with out having fail safe on the throttle. Not sure as I have not tested it.
Jul 23, 2012, 11:42 PM
Yep coming from Mk to dji one does feel a bit awkward.
I was in the same boat.
But over time I got use to the wkm And even find it les confusing than the Mk. With less options to mess around with.
Wkm gimbal out put is not that great. You could get the photo higher or hover fly gimbal board. Then you could use x3 for in air tuning
Jul 23, 2012, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesOttawa
I'm still building so haven't gone through that yet.
I never mentioned flicking the failsafe switch on. I simply said if Tx is powered off and PPM goes into failsafe, (which for Graupner's, PPM goes dead at the receiver) how would the WKM react.

I find pages 17 and 18 in the manual just plain brutal to understand. Thanks for the headsup from both of you who responded though. I guess I'll have to route each channel separately.

Coming from the MK I have a hard time with the DJI FS logic. Also, it appears that one cannot have both the Go-Home and gimbal tilt on switches (X3 supports either but not both).

How are you guys getting by? sortof regret purchasing the WKM now
You actually don't need the dedicated switch for RTH. You can perform the same function with a mix on your Tx and a Rx that has Failsafe built in on LOS. I think that DJI did that because so many people were having an issue with the mix. That will free up the X3 to control the tilt. The ultimate solution is PPM if you have a Tx/Rx that works with that or for DJI to add some additional input ports.
Jul 23, 2012, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Cool I misunderstand you. Yep I too have the mx20. Unfortunate for us we dont get to benefit from the new ppm feature.

One member did mentioned that the craft should still fly ok with out having fail safe on the throttle. Not sure as I have not tested it.
I saw your post on setting up the ATTI/GPS/FS switch
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post22209713

This is how to solve the go-home and gimbal tilt on X3?

I'm not one to power off my TX to test the FS so most likely will just route the 7 servo wire to the MC. A real pain in my opinion.

Ultimately, I decided to go with the WKM because of the single waypoint software.
Jul 24, 2012, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
You actually don't need the dedicated switch for RTH. You can perform the same function with a mix on your Tx and a Rx that has Failsafe built in on LOS.

Ed, are you referring to the control mode switch through U? so having it set mode to MAN, ATTI, GPS and Failsafe (RTH)?
Jul 24, 2012, 12:12 AM
manual flying apologist
Quote:
Wkm gimbal out put is not that great. You could get the photo higher or hover fly gimbal board. Then you could use x3 for in air tuning

exactly what I have done, really love being able to have IOC, Gimbal control and the ability to change gains in the air
Jul 24, 2012, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesOttawa
Ed, are you referring to the control mode switch through U? so having it set mode to MAN, ATTI, GPS and Failsafe (RTH)?
My mode switch is the Fmode on my JR9503, Aux1, and controls Man, ATTi and GPS. I have the RTH set up on a mix where my Gear Channel controls the Fmode and adjusts it by about 20% in terms of travel. Everything works well in Assistant, I have only tested it once in the field and it worked flawlessly. Hope that helps.
Jul 24, 2012, 12:23 AM
I think it's a must to have remote gains if your multi's payload changes. (using different cameras or batteries)

I sent a request to DJI to expand the functionality of the DBUS and CPPM to allow extra channel functionality and I believe they are considering it for a future firmware release.

This would allow you to use ALL the cool functions like POI and RTH and Camera Control, whilst still having the remote gain tuning available with whatever you have left on your Transmitter.

Currently we are limited to 7ch operation, so for example I can only have the following:
Ail
Elev
Thro
Rud
RTH (X3) << 2 position switch
Control Mode Switch (U) << 3 position Switch
Roll Pitch gains (X2) << RHS Slider control (or dial)

So I miss out on things like Yaw gain, Z gain & Camera tilt.

Hope I'm not the only one who has requested this enhancement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275
exactly what I have done, really love being able to have IOC, Gimbal control and the ability to change gains in the air
Last edited by Psionic001; Jul 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Jul 24, 2012, 12:28 AM

new battery

so I was out having too much fun the other day and I forgot to start my timer and I ran my battery too long. some of the cells were at 0, I charged it anyway to see what would happen. I got all cells up to 100 percent but when i tried to fly again today my battery lasted about 90 sec before I was forced to land.
so now I am looking for a new battery any thought or suggestions? I was looking at this one

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...-DRAGON/Detail

where do you guys get your batteries online or local shop?
Jul 24, 2012, 12:47 AM
manual flying apologist
hobbypartz is based out of SoCal and their Sky Lipos are are good price/performance

Hobbyking is good if you use the USA warehouse

Quick Reply