Sep 15, 2011, 09:07 PM
RTRyder, exactly.. I recently thew a prop of my hex but was not carrying the camea, so I was able to land.. but it was spinning and of course it's tough to keep oriented during the controlled crash... no damage landed reasonably well... but scary as hell...

if you plan to have enough power for your Y-6 to fly with one motor down then plan on having well oversized motors for the job... which is inefficient in itself.

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2011, 09:07 PM
New Firmware out!!!
Sep 15, 2011, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roypwee
New Firmware out!!!
Where?
Sep 15, 2011, 09:28 PM
Gravity sucks :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum
Where?
Here, http://www.dji-innovations.com/en/pr...ong-m_download
Sep 15, 2011, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop
Since iPad doesn't do flash (thank steve) it's apple's servers that are bogged down busy converting flash into whatever steve-approved format there is. I've never had problems playing youtube on any device i own.
I don't think it works like that. There are flash only movies that I get an error code for. Most other videos are transcoded into h264 by YouTube so that they are able to be viewed on iOS and others.

The YouTube app is a weak point as well as not having flash support on the iPad IMHO. But there are ways around both now. My ipad is jail broke. It's much better now.
Sep 15, 2011, 09:46 PM
The updated manual with the new firmware has a very detailed section on how to configure the mixer table. It looks complicated from the quick scan I gave it but I suspect it's not that much different from setting one up for an MK after you get through all the theory they included about how it works.
Sep 15, 2011, 09:53 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder
The updated manual with the new firmware has a very detailed section on how to configure the mixer table. It looks complicated from the quick scan I gave it but I suspect it's not that much different from setting one up for an MK after you get through all the theory they included about how it works.
Mixer explanation looks great. Yes, its basically same thing as MK mixer except with percentages instead of -64..64 values. Would be neat if the software checked the total sum on each axis to make sure motor sum is 0 - MKTools does do this.
Sep 15, 2011, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymatt
No it isnt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder
No problem with a flat octo losing motor and continuing to fly, hexa probably not. I think it depends a great deal on a lot of things if the hex could still fly, weight being one, flight controller being another, and probably most importantly the skill of the pilot. If the hex is light enough and well balanced the flight controller may be able to compensate to some degree but the yaw is going to be off badly. In a best case scenario it would probably be like losing the tail rotor on an RC heli only you can't hit throttle hold and autorotate down with a multi, you would have to manually try to fly it down while it was spinning so call it more like a barely controlled crash.

The flat hex I have the WKM on weighs in at just about 4 kilos even, losing a motor with that much weight means I'm flying a brick at that point. I may go back to a Y6 setup now that I've figured out some of the issues I was having with that configuration but I'm not sure if that would be enough to keep that much weight in the air on 5 motors either.

thanks guys.. very good input. Especially regarding the comment on weight. I've saved heli's when tails are lost, or aileron servo's go out of control (ala DX8) and didn't even have to auto in, but it sounds like it is way more complex than that with regards to power to weight. I think I'll just stick with my Hex plans and start shooting as planned. The light is just getting good in my area
Thanks!
Sep 15, 2011, 10:19 PM
Yes! It looks like the throttle and rudder channels are used for the camera gimbal servos and the S-Bus goes into the X2 input. X1 is used to monitor the voltage. This comes from the power module. X3 is used for remote gain control and/or gimbal pitch control.

I'm a happy camper.

-- Gary
Sep 15, 2011, 10:22 PM
Just to clarify that the S-Bus everyone is mentioning is the Futaba S-Bus for Futaba Rx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum
Yes! It looks like the throttle and rudder channels are used for the camera gimbal servos and the S-Bus goes into the X2 input. X1 is used to monitor the voltage. This comes from the power module. X3 is used for remote gain control and/or gimbal pitch control.

I'm a happy camper.

-- Gary
Sep 15, 2011, 10:24 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by roypwee
Just to clarify that the S-Bus everyone is mentioning is the Futaba S-Bus for Futaba Rx?
Yea. Cheapest Futaba RX with sbus is $80 (R6203SB).
Sep 15, 2011, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaysianFlyer
Just wondering, does anyone have info on the waypoint capability of the Wookong? Will we need to purchase a separate waypoint/ground station package like they have for their heli's?

Oh and if possible any idea of the cost of such.

Thanks guys. Almost pulled the trigger on one of these today, but decided to wait till I understand it a bit more, and read more feedback.
+1. Can't even consider it until I know how much the waypoint feature will cost. If its ~$8600-10000 like their single rotor stuff, I can get a lot of MK gear for that.
Sep 15, 2011, 11:37 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
Looks like DJI is being offered by more and more dealers.

Even Foxtech is going to sell it.

How about Hobby King?

I thought of buying another unit, but am holding back to see what the prices will be in the next few weeks.

BB
Sep 15, 2011, 11:48 PM

1.6 Software

Hmm, ch X1 was removed as a remote gain adjust from the autopilot tab, but now cannot select X2 even though I switched the input on the WK and recalibrated the transmitter. bug? or did i overlook something?
Last edited by chris24g; Sep 16, 2011 at 12:28 AM.
Sep 16, 2011, 12:45 AM
So if you don't use futaba gear with sbus you get no gimbal control with an octo?
This doesn't sound right, does it? If it is so then I need to make some urgent changes to my octo order and downgrade to a six.

Quick Reply