Sep 07, 2003, 02:23 PM
Oops, reversed elevator!

Wasp Max Maden flight

Finally finished building my Wasp Max today. It looks smaller than I expected. I had GWS 350 Gearbox C with 9x7 propeller on it. No landing gear, I forgot to buy the wheels. They are not include in the kit. I got the kit from EBay. It's a good deal for such a nicely laser-cut kit. Took me about 4-5 evenings to finish it. I took my time building, but still much longer than average foam planes.

I had it powered with Etec 1200 2s2p pack. I guess I could've run with 2s1p pack, but I didn't want to take apart the nicely wrapped pack.

On the field, once every thing was checked. A light toss and full throttle was all it required to fly up in the air. One or two down clicks on the trim to make it fly level and straight. The power is surprisingly good for a brushed motor. It would zoom up the altitude in a hurry. 1/2 to 2/3 throttle to make it flight level.
Loops were large and multiple loops were easy. Inverted loop was also easy. Roll rate seemed a bit slower than Crazy Max. I had the controls all set to maximum. Inverted flight required some down elevator. Knife edge seemed possible, but I'm not very good at it.

I felt it tracks a lot better than Crazy Max. The foam elevator on the Crazy Max flex too much compare to wood build control surface. Also the profile fuselage on the Wasp Max helped the plane track straight. The speed seemed a slightly faster than Crazy Max, and more powerful. I think the new GWS 350 motor made a noticeable difference there.

Power-off guide was very controllable and slow. No bad stall tendency at slow speed.

Wind handling - ok, Similar to Crazy Max. Light weight planes get toss around by the wind. High altitude consistent wind is no problem, but lower altitude turbulence does make low level flying a bit challenge. No a fair comparison to my heavily loaded brushess Zagi.

Landing on grass without landing gear bend the propeller slightly. I think I still need the landing wheels.

In many ways, it flew quite similar to Crazy Max, but track better. I think I'm going to retire the Crazy Max.

Pin
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2003, 02:37 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
pics please

phil
Sep 07, 2003, 02:43 PM
Caveman:
I'm sure glad you started this thread because I have a Wasp-Max still in the box ready to be built, it's my next project after the GWS Corsair. How does the Wasp-Max do Rolls? Will it do fast & slow rolls? How easy is it to land & how is the glide?

-Thanks-

Mike

P.S. - I am planing on using the GWS 300C-C Motor setup, I'm a little worried that the 350-C will draw too many Amps, was your Etec pack Hot when it came out? (All I have is an Etec 1200-2S).
Sep 07, 2003, 02:53 PM
Oops, reversed elevator!
The picture isn't very clear. Taken with Mustek Mini 3 camera, I used for aerial photo. I forgot the focus was set to infinity.
Sep 07, 2003, 02:53 PM
Oops, reversed elevator!
Another one
Sep 07, 2003, 03:10 PM
Oops, reversed elevator!
Quote:
Originally posted by mrebman
Caveman:
How does the Wasp-Max do Rolls? Will it do fast & slow rolls? How easy is it to land & how is the glide?

P.S. - I am planing on using the GWS 300C-C Motor setup, I'm a little worried that the 350-C will draw too many Amps, was your Etec pack Hot when it came out? (All I have is an Etec 1200-2S).
Rolls are not supper fast I'm afraid. I'd like the faster roll rate of Crazy Max, but I'll see if I can adjust the ailerons control a bit more. But the its flight control is more precise than Crazy Max.

It glides very well. Your lighter battery pack will be even better.
Landing is slow and controllable. My previous E-Starter landed faster than it does.
I'm putting it down on the tall grass now, afraid of bending the propeller again.

No, my pack is minimally warm. The 350 motor is not pushing close to the limit of Etec 1200 2s2p pack.
At full throttle the climb rate is at least 60 degree. More at the beginning of the battery charge. Multiple loops are easy.

Pin
Sep 07, 2003, 03:37 PM
Pin,

I recommend using a prop saver when not using landing gear.
I say so right in the instructions.....

Before you begin:

"If you plan on building the Wasp-maX without landing gear it is recommended that you use the provided prop saver."

I included 3 plywood prop savers on the sheet with the fuselage base plate. They are the 3 diamond looking pieces in the corner, bottom right corner in this picture.

David
Sep 07, 2003, 03:39 PM
Oops, reversed elevator!
Oh, that's what they were for. I had no idea what those 3 pieces do.
Thanks Dave.

Pin
Sep 07, 2003, 03:46 PM
Your right Pin, it's not very clear in the instructions what to do with those pieces. Guess it's a case of, I know, so everyone else must..... I'll update the instructions to illustrate their use.

You know how to set-up a prop saver, don't you? There is a good thread somewhere detailing the prop saver. I could also send you a drawing if you'd like?

Thanks,
David
Sep 07, 2003, 03:53 PM
I'm using an old servo horn instead, in this set-up.
There is another nut behind the prop that you can't see.
Make sure the prop can twist off easily over the nut...don't leave too much of the shaft sticking from the front.

David
Sep 07, 2003, 04:39 PM
Caveman:
Are you using Max throws on the Ailerons? Are you just using Aileron/Elevator or do you have the rudder hooked up also?

-Mike-
Sep 07, 2003, 09:14 PM
Oops, reversed elevator!
Thanks, Dave. Yeah, I know the design for the prop saver. Shouldn't be hard to do.

Mike, for ailerons control horn, I used the outside holes on the control horn. I'll switch to inside hole for more throw. Hopefully, will get faster roll rate. My radio is set to 100% throw rate.
Yeah, I have rudder setup as well. Don't underestimate the small rudder. Rudder turning is very responsive. It does a very beatiful hammer head manuver.

Pin
Sep 07, 2003, 09:26 PM
Oops, reversed elevator!
Here's a better picture of Wasp Max and its size compares to the radio. At full throttle, it does get away from you rather quickly. I need to decorate top of the wing more, in order to tell top and bottom more easily at a distance.

Pin
Sep 07, 2003, 09:38 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Great flight report Pin!!

==My radio is set to 100% throw rate.==

AS you said, moving the control wires to the hole closest to the control surface will get you more throw. Most computer radios will also allow you to adjust the throws up to as much as 125%, so you can get some more that way if you need it.
Sep 07, 2003, 09:43 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Pin,
It's great to see another Wasp maX take to the air. I sure enjoy mine.
The landing gear on mine help to tell which side is up.

Dave,
What plane is that in your avatar?

John