heres one of mine that i just set up. its a hobby king yak epp
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2011, 02:03 PM
got any foam to bash?

Saturday Night slow flyer contest rules

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...17&postcount=7
Sep 06, 2011, 07:22 PM
AMA 504253 Born in the USA
got it now if I can only get the ba--s to do it. Have to weigh my fun cub it might just be to heavy anyways.

Dave
Last edited by Yellowspider; Sep 06, 2011 at 07:28 PM.
Sep 08, 2011, 07:10 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Hey question for all you night flyers out there, the LED tape, can that handle more than 12 Volts??? Like say a 4 cell???
Sep 08, 2011, 08:29 PM
Whew, that might let out the magic smoke since they work quite well on 2S. I would cut off a strip of three and give it a shot. If it smokes them is was only 3 not a strip. Since they are in parallel it's a good test.

Pete
Sep 08, 2011, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTALJR
Hey question for all you night flyers out there, the LED tape, can that handle more than 12 Volts??? Like say a 4 cell???
I've never seen a strip that supports more than 12V. You could lower the voltage by running a few diodes. Better than that, get a small 3 cell battery only for the lights if you have the space available.
Sep 08, 2011, 10:28 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Castle Creations BEC works great as a light driver.
Sep 09, 2011, 11:28 AM
A small 2 or 3 cell lipo and CC BEC are good ideas. You could also tap into the balance plug to get 2 cells for one set of lights, and the other 2 cells for a 2nd set of lights...but you'd need to cut off the connector to add wires in parallel or find/buy the mating connector.
Sep 09, 2011, 11:29 AM
Rt 88 is also closed somewhere ("both I-88 East and I-88 West have been closed in Chenango Valley near Binghamton.")...surely not for long though...
Sep 09, 2011, 12:26 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Can I run a castle bec in line with the lights to drop the voltage from the battery to the lights without dropping the voltage to the controller?? Basically make a jumper with the castle bec in line ??
Sep 09, 2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTALJR
Can I run a castle bec in line with the lights to drop the voltage from the battery to the lights without dropping the voltage to the controller?? Basically make a jumper with the castle bec in line ??
Hey Al,

I've essentially done the same thing when I feed my Dimension lighting controller. I think that's a nice simple way of accomodating this if you have the BEC handy.

Rob
Sep 09, 2011, 01:56 PM
Most BECs only provide 5V-6V. These light strips are looking for 12V so I doubt they will work well. The Castle Creations BEC only goes to 9V, but the CC Pro BEC will do 12.5V. The BEC Pro goes for $45 on their site. I'd go with a separate battery before shelling out that type of cash.
Sep 09, 2011, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpaceDaddy
Most BECs only provide 5V-6V. These light strips are looking for 12V so I doubt they will work well. The Castle Creations BEC only goes to 9V, but the CC Pro BEC will do 12.5V. The BEC Pro goes for $45 on their site. I'd go with a separate battery before shelling out that type of cash.
Good point. I don't use LED strips - I still use discrete LEDs, where I use a nominal 5V input and use dropping resistors to get the final voltage and set current limits.

Rob
Sep 09, 2011, 02:54 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
@ 12v I find many of the birds people are now flying too Damn bright! Have some consideration for your fellow pilots and try not to blind them!
Sep 09, 2011, 03:06 PM
Tommy,

EXCELLENT point! I know I was blinded a few times last year by planes that were plastered with surface mounted LEDs running at full brightness. Thankfully lots of guys have started using speed controllers to modulate the brightness - goes a long way to making them easier to deal with when they fly into your line of sight!

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
@ 12v I find many of the birds people are now flying too Damn bright! Have some consideration for your fellow pilots and try not to blind them!