Aug 07, 2011, 09:19 PM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
Thread OP
Discussion

Why are all the CMP models disappearing

Now I understand I have only been flying a little over a year now. I so love my war birds.

Hanger 9 p51 .40 and .60 Miss America
Hanger 9 B25
Topflight .60 Corsair.
CMP 90 71in Spitfire. 30cc DLE
CMP 120 74in P40. 220 4 stroke

What I don't understand is I love my CMP models more than most. I know I'm getting a ESM 30cc Corsair for B Day

Anyways I just crashed my P40 this weekend and messed it up good. I noticed a few weeks ago that Nitroplanes was selling this bird on sell for $150. I new I should of gotten one as a spare. Now I need one there out of stock.

Everywhere I look all the CMP pro birds are out of stock. Why would a company let such good birds get out of stock. I fell like there never going to get them re stocked. (I have been wanting the CMP Zero for some time the only other Zero is Troybuilts for $600+)

I know the ESM birds are better than the CMP but the price dif and the fact the CMP birds are 4-5 pounds lighter make it easyer on the pocket book; cheaper motor, cheaper retracts etc. It seem like all the war birds are going foam or am I going crazy?

I'm glade Topflight came out with a ARF of the Corsair but for $450 for a .60 size with plastic covering. I have a lost of words. That's why I'm getting the ESM for $330

Sorry for the rant, I just can't Believe I can't find a 74in p40.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2011, 11:00 PM
Mike, AK Models now carry CMPro ARF's.

http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv...Store_Code=AKM

They have the CMP Zero 80" for $289.95. I have been drooling over the Cessna 182-50 myself. I did not see the p40.
Aug 08, 2011, 09:11 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
The CMP Line was originally imported by Giant Scale planes in Cooperstown Pa .
When GSP was importing them the variety was great but the quality was just ok .
Eamples of so so quality were the FW190, the Hellcat , Spitfire ect . Now dont get me wrong I have all of the three menthioned but CMP is not for the person who wants to fly out of the box , the planes need work , so I bash all ofthem to more scale .
Ok , Giant Scale Planes disappears as the exclusive distributor for reasons too boring and too long to list .
Ok in comes Nitro planes , and Alex AKM , prices drop , and at for about three years they were exploding in sales and new better releases like the P40 73" , the BF109 (one of the best ever CMP planes ).

Just at the end of this run KMP who charger $489 and above loses the exclusive rights to distribute ESM planes ( they KMP will tell you they resinged it ) lol over QC lol .
Ok , so now you have ESM available via VQ models (Tomas ) and the master imported Troybuild models . The price thru these guys drops on avg $150 to $200 a plane , so now you can get an ESM Corsair for $300 vs a CMP corsair for $200 to $250 , remember this was two years ago , CMP is even lower now.
So all the guys bashing the CMP over to scale said (why bother) I can start at $300 with better glass , better qc ect and bash a more scale plane like a ESM .
So this results in MOQs going way down (minimum order quality ) remember you have to order CMP by the container and if yuo cant the price goes way up if your a distributor .
So what you are seeing is lack of demand , dwindling interest resulting in less sales and less models from CMP .
Add to the fact EPO has expoded with really nice standoff scale planes and demand is incredible , again all this takes dollars away from CMP and other glow/gas planes .
I like CMP as stated but they take work , I have the Spit new in box , FW190 based and still in progress , two 73" P40 , hellcat on the table now , P47 ect
Sep 30, 2012, 04:02 PM
All is true.....but CMP has good stuff....I'd love to rebuild my 120 size Zero...I am looking for wings and canopy......used or new.....or a whole kit. It was a great bird and I'd like to get it in the air again....or a new on.

It is the perfect size for where I fly and what I drive.

Dw_crash
Sep 30, 2012, 05:14 PM
Sucker for biplanes
CMP are good ARFs. I think Nitroplanes should change there name to Foamyplanes.com. They sell what sells, foam arfs and rtf planes. Nitro/gas planes take more time to fly than an electric foam plane. Nitroplanes, Banana hobby, have good foam electric planes, but hate to see all the nitro planes out of stock! I love my CMP 91" J-3 CUB, Hobbyking sells it know
Sep 30, 2012, 06:46 PM
I haven't seen any in stick for a while, too bad if they don't get anymore cmp were great planes and priced right, it's a shame!
Sep 30, 2012, 06:54 PM
2 many planes & 2 little time
I picked up a 120 size Corsair which was electric. What size gas motor do you guys recommend? Specifically I have a EVO 30cc I'm wondering about in this frame? What's the AU weight supposed to be? Thank you in advance for any info.
Sep 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4
I picked up a 120 size Corsair which was electric. What size gas motor do you guys recommend? Specifically I have a EVO 30cc I'm wondering about in this frame? What's the AU weight supposed to be? Thank you in advance for any info.
I had a rcg 26cc gasser in mine and it was supercharged power!
Oct 01, 2012, 09:31 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
It's funny that this thread resurfaced , I still have a P40 , P47 , spitfire , and bf109 new in box , all will be converted to electric . The funny part is that the scale detail on the 65" thru 79" foamy with gear doors and all the bells and whistles make the traditional wood/glass arfs look obsolete .
Oct 01, 2012, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
It's funny that this thread resurfaced , I still have a P40 , P47 , spitfire , and bf109 new in box , all will be converted to electric . The funny part is that the scale detail on the 65" thru 79" foamy with gear doors and all the bells and whistles make the traditional wood/glass arfs look obsolete .
Even though, I still would rather pay $ for a wood and fiberglass plane than a chunk of foam. Even though all the detail is there the longevity of a foam plane is not, and will not outlast a good balsa plane.
Oct 03, 2012, 01:56 PM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
Thread OP
I would love to get another CMP P40,

As there are no otheres like the 120 size in the market,

IF you want a nice P40 your options as I know it are.

.60 Topflite, (to small)
Gaint Topflite, ( I just got one last week when there were on sale at tower for $325!!!! for the gaint, $400 retracts)
ESM Gaint P40 to exspencive ($630 pluse $500 retracts)
Skyshark gaint, Nice ($350 for Gaint scale but still $500 for retracts)

Are there others I don't know about?

And to be honest, I love my CMP, the solertext wings look great vs my TopFlite Gaint P51 after 1/2 the time flying (hanger rash)

My only issue with CMP is they tend to crack at odd places, but At least they don't get messed up like a wood bird.

Im starting on a CMP Zero this week, going to be white with rivits and all.
Oct 03, 2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes68charger
I would love to get another CMP P40,

As there are no otheres like the 120 size in the market,

IF you want a nice P40 your options as I know it are.

.60 Topflite, (to small)
Gaint Topflite, ( I just got one last week when there were on sale at tower for $325!!!! for the gaint, $400 retracts)
ESM Gaint P40 to exspencive ($630 pluse $500 retracts)
Skyshark gaint, Nice ($350 for Gaint scale but still $500 for retracts)

Are there others I don't know about?

And to be honest, I love my CMP, the solertext wings look great vs my TopFlite Gaint P51 after 1/2 the time flying (hanger rash)

My only issue with CMP is they tend to crack at odd places, but At least they don't get messed up like a wood bird.

Im starting on a CMP Zero this week, going to be white with rivits and all.
I've had all the p-40 arfs put out and they all fly awesome, the topflite P-40's fly in my opinion the best.
Oct 04, 2012, 09:28 AM
Mike,
This is my cmp zero done in white, or off white, whatever. It was originally green, I painted it with rustoleum almond. The wings were done in off white ultracoat. They are almost an exact match. The blue is also rustoleum. Decals from major. I ran a rcgf 20cc and had to use a bunch of steel plate to balance it. Alas, its gone. Shot down by power lines north of the runway. Looked like a direct hit from flak.
Edwin
Oct 04, 2012, 02:53 PM
I think I have a CMP warbird somewhere (NIB) in the garage...I think it is a P-47! That size box is HUGE......don't know if I will build it or not.
Oct 04, 2012, 10:58 PM
I never had much luck with CMP warplanes compared to Hangar-9, VQ or other brands I tried. I had two, but found the construction strength, particularly the wings and fins, to be lower than the other models and the planes therefore needing more repairs from relatively small mishaps the others would survive. In the end, I grafted the wings/wheels from a VQ Harvard onto a CMP T-28 fuselage (converted to tail dragger). The hybrid was a surprisingly good flyer and the tamest landing warplane I ever had.

Having said this, I brought the CMPs at the start of my flying career when my pilot skills where the poorest. I should have stuck to VQ at the startof my flying career (these planes are built pretty plain and solid) and moved to the fancier and lighter H9 and CMP planes as I got better.

Quick Reply