Suggestions on F5J Plane - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 06, 2003, 03:02 AM

[RCSE] Suggestions on F5J Plane

Hi Guys,

There is beginning to be more and more talk of F5J type events in our area so I am getting the bug to buy a plane to fly these events. I have absolutely no experience with electrics so am looking for suggestions of plane and motor combos. I am looking for something bigger than the speed 400 class but would even consider something along that line if there is something out there that is really nice. I would like to keep the total cost in the $700-1200 range. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Manufactures and distributors please respond as well.

See Ya,

Pat McCleave
Wichita, KS

RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News. Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to soaring-request@airage.com. Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off.
Andrew E. Mileski
Andrew E. Mileski

Re: [RCSE] Suggestions on F5J Plane

pmccleave@cox.net wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> There is beginning to be more and more talk of F5J type events in our area so I am getting the bug to buy a plane to fly these events. I have absolutely no experience with electrics so am looking for suggestions of plane and motor combos. I am looking for something bigger than the speed 400 class but would even consider something along that line if there is something out there that is really nice. I would like to keep the total cost in the $700-1200 range. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Manufactures and distributors please respond as well.

Aren't most bare planes in that range? Add in a motor (and maybe
a gearbox?), speed controller, a few racing battery packs (I hope
you already have a decent fast charger), and CF props... well
that's a lot of $$$

FYI, have a brushless Zagi that's worth around $400 USD (I just
priced it, so I'm not kidding).

Is it possible to do F5J cheap?

--
Andrew E. Mileski
Ottawa, Canada
http://isoar.ca/

RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News. Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to soaring-request@airage.com. Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off.
Bert Magin
Bert Magin

Re: [RCSE] Suggestions on F5J Plane

Only in the speed 400 class (and be competitive).

Bert
>
> Is it possible to do F5J cheap?
>
> --
> Andrew E. Mileski
> Ottawa, Canada
> http://isoar.ca/
>

Re: Re: [RCSE] Suggestions on F5J Plane

Try a Polecataero WindDancer kit, about $190 shipped, designed for speed 400, but shoehorn in a geared Aveox w/7 cells (say $250 with ESC) and away you go for about $400 ... almost out of sight in 40 seconds and an excellent glide.

John Leigh

>
> From: "Andrew E. Mileski" <andrewm@isoar.ca>
> Date: 2003/09/05 Fri AM 10:22:57 EDT
> To: soaring@airage.com
> Subject: Re: [RCSE] Suggestions on F5J Plane
>
> pmccleave@cox.net wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > There is beginning to be more and more talk of F5J type events in our area so I am getting the bug to buy a plane to fly these events. I have absolutely no experience with electrics so am looking for suggestions of plane and motor combos. I am looking for something bigger than the speed 400 class but would even consider something along that line if there is something out there that is really nice. I would like to keep the total cost in the $700-1200 range. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Manufactures and distributors please respond as well.

>
> Aren't most bare planes in that range? Add in a motor (and maybe
> a gearbox?), speed controller, a few racing battery packs (I hope
> you already have a decent fast charger), and CF props... well
> that's a lot of $$$
>
> FYI, have a brushless Zagi that's worth around $400 USD (I just
> priced it, so I'm not kidding).
>
> Is it possible to do F5J cheap?
>
> --
> Andrew E. Mileski
> Ottawa, Canada
> http://isoar.ca/
>
> RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News. Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to soaring-request@airage.com. Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off.
>

Sep 06, 2003, 10:30 AM
Pat,

Give me a call this evening. Glad to hear "F5J" is gaining support in your area. Basically, LMR is all I do.............winches got too time consuming or something to that effect. I'll travel up there for a LMR contest.

Steve Hudson
Moore, OK