Aug 02, 2011, 02:13 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Micro lights from SF-Solutions (UMX Beast) mini review

Just got these from http://www.sf-design-solutions.com/default.html and then immediately installed them!! hehehe

Took about 20 mins or so, and the hardest part was getting the leads to line up correctly and then to all fit in the hole on the bottom of the main wing. But they are pretty sweet, and really easy to install.

I will post a video of it in the air once I get a chance to do some dusk flying!!

SF solutions lights on my UMX Beast mini review. (2 min 11 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2011, 11:26 PM
Nice to see an alternative to Tiny Brite Lights which has basically destroyed their reputation with very poor customer service!

Would be nice to have a blinking light or two, but I imagine that might come in the future.

Interested in hearing how your night flight went. You're a brave soul, the Beast is pretty aerobatic, so much so that I probably wouldn't trust myself at night.

I got a set of lights from TBL for my Champ. First set arrived DOA. Second set works except for one of the blinkers. Now that is a neat plane to light up as it has nice, stable flight characteristics.

Regards,
Pete
Aug 02, 2011, 11:38 PM
Thread OP
I plan on starting at dusk, and then slowly working later and darker, lol.

I am hoping for tomorrow night.
Aug 03, 2011, 12:25 PM
I have these and they work so well that I fly both my Beast and Sbach AT NIGHT!!!....I'm VERY pleased...Lightning fast shipping with color instructions...I'm going to definately buy more from this guy!!!

Kevin
Aug 03, 2011, 01:53 PM
Fast service result here, too. Just haven't got around to putting them on my T-28, yet. The flying conditions here have been better in the morning than at night recently.
Aug 03, 2011, 06:30 PM
3D Want2B
You guys will love the lights from SF. He's extremely helpful and the products are top-notch. Looking forward to the videos.
Aug 03, 2011, 06:58 PM
Crashomatic
Looks more powerful than tbl
Aug 03, 2011, 08:09 PM
"I'd rather be flying..."

SFDS Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp
Looks more powerful than tbl
Thanks for all the kinds words everyone.

Crash Me Up - WARNING: Don't look directly at them: They are BRIGHT! The white landing light has an MCD of 1700! The blue and green ~900, and due to the light spectrum, the red lights are down near an MCD of 700 - but way brighter than the 'through hole LED kits' others are offering.

The 5-LED kits for the P-51, F-4U, and T-28 worked great this weekend but the additional landing light really strained the 1S 150 and 1S TP160. I might offer them but users will have to use a Mossie 250MAH to get adequate flight times.

Still editing the video of all the kits flying at the night Fun Fly this past weekend but my time at night has been at a premium trying to keep up with work, family, and LED kits.

Thanks again all. LCS
Aug 03, 2011, 08:20 PM
"I'd rather be flying..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane
Just got these from http://www.sf-design-solutions.com/default.html and then immediately installed them!! hehehe

Took about 20 mins or so, and the hardest part was getting the leads to line up correctly and then to all fit in the hole on the bottom of the main wing. But they are pretty sweet, and really easy to install.
Bluemeane - just watched your video - yes - angle the LED's down a little and it will provide better vis airborne. Also, if you mount the blue tail on it's side, and have the LED lens face aft (vice straight down), you'll improve the aft vis as well. I couldn't tell but it looked like you may have tape on the LED lens - this will cause a LED burn out - maybe it's just the video. Thanks for posting and I hope you enjoy tem. A few of us were flying the Beast (et al) in the pitch dark this weekend - spins and snaps are a hoot with the Beast (yes, I "missed judged" one or two!). We flew until 0115 Sun a.m. and paid for it during the Fun Fly Sunday.

Aug 04, 2011, 12:26 AM
Dbl
Dbl
I have ordered three sets of lights and as mentioned above fantastic service! Fast delivery, great quality and BRIGHT lights. Have them on the T-28, Mossie and installing them on my Polecat. Ordered the T-28 set for the Polecat, looks like they will work out fine, just haven't had time. Just added a Beast and an S.E.5a to mix so will be buying a few more sets for the Beast. Now we need some larger lights for the Park flyers! Rest and sleep are over rated LtColSpit! Great product!
Aug 04, 2011, 03:51 AM
The new guy
LtColSpit, excuse me I'm not familiar with your product, but have you ever consider making these servo controlled? Maybe take the feed of one of the spare AR6400 channels (gear?, flaps?) and have different lighting modes for different servo positions? I'm thinking something to mimic FAA style lighting. Servo at 0 = Off, Servo at 50% = Strobe, white tail, R/G wings, Servo at max = Stobe and tail/wings plus landing light?
Aug 04, 2011, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the tips Lt. I have already angled them down a bit. And I did have some tape over the blue one, i will pull it off when I get home today (I had it over the LED because it is such small spot back there to tape to) I would love to had been able to tape it up on top of the tail! But I decided not to.

- And what do you mean turn it on its side? How does that help? (I am worried about moving the ends to often, how likely are the wires to break off? )

And I love your products so I was happy to put up a vid and a little review here, cause there didn't seem to be any around, and I wanted to get the word out about your amazing products!!!!!

(P.S if you sales jump up you can send free stuff to me at your discretion lol)
Aug 04, 2011, 09:51 AM
Since SF didn't show lights for the Sbach on the site I ordered the Mosquito light kit for the Sbach...This was to make sure that I got enough wiring to go from wing tip to tip and to place the landing lights out on the wings...More than enough wiring is supplied to get the job done...

Kevin
Aug 04, 2011, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene
Since SF didn't show lights for the Sbach on the site I ordered the Mosquito light kit for the Sbach...This was to make sure that I got enough wiring to go from wing tip to tip and to place the landing lights out on the wings...More than enough wiring is supplied to get the job done...

Kevin
kevin- Not sure if you thought of this but the Sbach runs on 2s and the Mosquito runs on 1s... I didnt read over the product description... but make sure they can handle the extra voltage before you plug them in and hear the sizzle.
Aug 04, 2011, 01:42 PM
3D Want2B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene

Kevin
I'm sure SF will jump in here to correct me if I'm wrong, but I talked to him a while back about lights for the Sbach. He said that if there was a demand for them, he would be making a kit for the Sbach.

And I'm thinking that the Mossie kit is not designed for operation on 2s. SF is the man on these kits and he'll know for sure.

Quick Reply