Aug 01, 2011, 11:39 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

HTS NAVI binding fails

Hi,

I am trying to setup and bind my Navi to the Aurora9. Software is latest on all modules.

I am following the steps in the manual:

Plug in Navi, Aurora off, Optima on and working - red and blue on navi solid

Push link on Navi and next on screen - blue on Navi off

Turn on Aurora with button held - blue flashing on Aurora

Press next on screen. It says the blue on the navi should start flashing on the Navi which it does not.

Remove Navi and re-connect as stated - red an blue solid on Navi and no connection.

The telemetry is received by Aurora and displayed on its screen.

Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere.

Thanks,
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2011, 09:09 PM
Exactly the same problem I am having with mine.

Sorry no answers as that is why I was looking here.

Hugh
Aug 04, 2011, 10:43 PM
I'm also having linking problems. When the Red LED should be solid and the Blue LED blinking, I have Red solid and Blue unlit. All software/firmware is latest as of 8/4/11. Tried on two different PC's (XP Pro & Windows 7 Premium) with same result.

The system did function briefly but has since failed each time HTS-SS(Nitro) is selected as target. At that point, the HPP-22 software displays: "Run-time error: 380".

Hitec service says updated HPP-22 will be available this week but I tend to think my Navi has failed because it did briefly function initially.
Aug 13, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hi all,

Received a replacement HTS-NAVI and found it has the exact same linking issues as the original. Also, I noticed that both receivers will occasionally function, although, when they do, the RED & BLUE LEDs are on solid.

Mike M. at Hitec says his/theirs functions without issue. I have tried 4 different PC's and two different operating systems, and they all exhibit the same problem with both HTS-NAVI's.

Either I'm doing something stupid or there is some other operational issue. It may be firmware/software or hardware, I dunno. (I wonder how much current the NAVI is drawing. If more than 500 mA, maybe it's causing issues with the USB port. I may split a USB cable to measure the current or try running it off of a self-powered hub.)

Has anyone had any success with the HTS-NAVI? Anyone getting "Run-time 380" errors?

Don
AMA 654766
Aug 13, 2011, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkuseem
Hi all, Received a replacement HTS-NAVI and found it has the exact same linking issues as the original. Also, I noticed that both receivers will occasionally function, although, when they do, the RED & BLUE LEDs are on solid. Mike M. at Hitec says his/theirs functions without issue. I have tried 4 different PC's and two different operating systems, and they all exhibit the same problem with both HTS-NAVI's. Either I'm doing something stupid or there is some other operational issue. It may be firmware/software or hardware, I dunno. (I wonder how much current the NAVI is drawing. If more than 500 mA, maybe it's causing issues with the USB port. I may split a USB cable to measure the current or try running it off of a self-powered hub.) Has anyone had any success with the HTS-NAVI? Anyone getting "Run-time 380" errors? Don AMA 654766
. Open the HPP-22 program first, then plug in dongle, select the central "Hitec Telemetry Command Center".
A pop up to update firmware, should occur for even the most recent (last week) issue Navi. misplaced my note with the version number..
Once the one time update has been completed, follow the pictorial linking instructions which appear on screen.
Have not had any problems referred locally to date.
. As with any similar device, not recommended to use a hub, direct plug in
or shortest possible cable preferable as pictured when starting program.

Alan T.
Aug 14, 2011, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.
. Open the HPP-22 program first, then plug in dongle, select the central "Hitec Telemetry Command Center".
A pop up to update firmware, should occur for even the most recent (last week) issue Navi. misplaced my note with the version number..
Once the one time update has been completed, follow the pictorial linking instructions which appear on screen.
Have not had any problems referred locally to date.
. As with any similar device, not recommended to use a hub, direct plug in
or shortest possible cable preferable as pictured when starting program.

Alan T.
Thank you, Alan. However, that is exactly what I've been doing.

BTW, the latest version of the HPP-22 software is 1.10(0).

The really odd thing is that on rare occasions, the system will function. Otherwise, the HPP-22 usually displays the run-time 380 error.

You said there have not been any problems locally. Do you know if the LED's on those systems are functioning as described in Hitec's literature? On my system, when/if it works, both LED's are on solid - the blue doesn't blink.

Don L.
Aug 14, 2011, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Thank you, Alan. However, that is exactly what I've been doing.BTW, the latest version of the HPP-22 software is 1.10(0).The really odd thing is that on rare occasions, the system will function. Otherwise, the HPP-22 usually displays the run-time 380 error.You said there have not been any problems locally. Do you know if the LED's on those systems are functioning as described in Hitec's literature? On my system, when/if it works, both LED's are on solid - the blue doesn't blink.Don L.
Was referring to a Navi update, not the HPP-22 V1.10.
(make sure you have internet connected when starting the HPP-22 program and connecting Navi for first time.)
From memory, the LED were in accordance with the procedures displayed on screen. Regrettably, did not bring a unit home and will not get another chance to re-test until next Saturday.

Alan T.
Last edited by A.T.; Aug 14, 2011 at 06:36 AM.
Aug 14, 2011, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Was referring to a Navi update, not the HPP-22 V1.10.
(make sure you have internet connected when starting the HPP-22 program and connecting Navi for first time.)
From memory, the LED were in accordance with the procedures displayed on screen. Regrettably, did not bring a unit home and will not get another chance to re-test until next Saturday.

Alan T.
Maybe you're on to something. Where might I find an update specific to the NAVI? There are updates on Hitec's site for the Aurora 9, Spectra 2.4 module, HPP-22 and Optima receivers, but I see nothing for the NAVI.
Aug 14, 2011, 11:29 PM

HTS-Navi & HTS-Voice Firmware Updates

Quote:
Maybe you're on to something. Where might I find an update specific to the NAVI? There are updates on Hitec's site for the Aurora 9, Spectra 2.4 module, HPP-22 and Optima receivers, but I see nothing for the NAVI.

Respective firmware updates are all live and only visible when
1. An HPP-22 interface is attached to USB Port of a PC/Laptop, with internet connected, and with HPP-22 program running.
2. Hpp-22 is also connected to the Data port of an Optima transceiver, AFHSS Spectra Module, any of the Aurora,
Optic 6 Sport, Eclipse 7 Pro Transmitters, an HTS-Voice or with HTS-Navi plugged into USB Port.
3. To check for upgrades to HTS- Navi & HTS Voice, select "Hitec Telemtery Command center" whilst connected as in 1 & 2 above and a pop-up will appear, I][if any available[/I], advising new version available and click to download. [At this time, existing version does not display]

For optimum performance
use:
. Aurora 9 V1.08(1) 10 July 2011
. Optic 6 Sport V1.04(1)
. Spectra 2.4Ghz Module firmware V3.01 18 April 2011
(How to update Hitec TX with fixed "modules" such as Optic 6 Sport & Optic 5)
. Optima 7 & 9 Ch Transceiver Firmware firmware V2.02(0) 07 Oct 2011
. HPP-22 Software Version V1.12(0) - 05 March 2012 (Details and pictorial "How to" install)
Next HPP-22 update is expected end June'12, it will incorporate provision for Eclipse 7 Pro
. HTS-Navi Firmware V1.03 31 July 2011
. HTS Voice 1.03(1) 05Mar12

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)
Last edited by A.T.; Jun 20, 2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: update firmware versions.
Aug 18, 2011, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Respective firmware updates are all live and only visible when
1. An HPP-22 interface is attached to USB Port of a PC/Laptop, with internet connected, and with HPP-22 program running.
2. Hpp-22 is also connected to the Data port of an Optima transceiver, AFHSS Spectra Module, any of the Aurora,
Optic 6 Sport, Eclipse 7 Pro Transmitters, an HTS-Voice or with HTS-Navi plugged into USB Port.
3. To check for upgrades to HTS- Navi & HTS Voice, select "Hitec Telemtery Command center" whilst connected
as in 1 & 2 above and a pop-up will appear, if any available, advising new version available and click to download.

For optimum performance use:
Current Aurora 9 firmware V1.08(1) 10 July 2011
Current Spectra 2.4Ghz Module firmware V3.01 18 April 2011
Current Optima 7 & 9 Ch Transceiver Firmware firmware V2.01 31 July 2011
Current HTS-Navi Firmware V1.03? 31 July 2011.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
(quick search = Ctrl+F)
One of the Navi's was able to be updated to version 1.03. The other can't/won't, so I assume it already has the latest update. (It's too bad there is no way to view the current firmware version.)

However, still no joy. Both Navi's still mostly won't function. If/when they do, eventually the HPP-22 software crashes and displays "run-time error: 380".

The exact same run-time error occurs when linking the Spectra 2.4 module via cable & HP-22 to the PC. (I have an Aurora 9 and an Eclipse w/Spectra 2.4 and they both behave the same way.) And, if the transmitter is turned off, the same error occurs. It makes me wonder if the HPP-22 software might be the culprit.

My patience is nearly exhausted. I have now tried 4 different computers, 3 different operating systems (XP, Vista, Win7) and two Navi's, all with the same results.

While sparse and not particularly well written, the instructions for the HPP-22 and Navi are pretty simple and have been followed to the letter. However, if I'm doing something wrong, I'd really appreciate being shown where.
Aug 18, 2011, 11:25 PM
Ripped my 7 ch Spectra and telemetry out of my Radian and T-28 and reinstalled my JR PCM10x and R790 PCM receivers so I can run the Aurora 9 system on the bench.

TX talks to the RX and I have battery telemetry. Install the telemetry hub with two temp sensors on the RX and power up. Still have control but only battery voltage telemetry.

Sensors tab in the TX only shows battery. I have a fast flashing light on the telemetry hub but no data displayed in TX.

Spent about 3 hours tonight trying to connect to the telemetry hub and the NAVI USB device. No connections no mater which set of directions i follow.

Shortly after the three hour mark Windows crashed. System is a Dell Inspiron 1545 Intel Dual Core laptop with 4 Gb ram 300MG HD running XP Pro SP2. No problems with system since new. Clean install of Windows in March 2011. I am now suspecting a problem with a memory leak in the HPP-22 software.

One more try tomorrow. If it don't start working right I am packing it up and returning it to HiTec with instructions to make it work or keep it.

I can not find a comment or any information in the manuals / Am I correct that additional sensors should show up in TX sensors it they are sending data down?

This Aurora 9 is a demo unit for our retail hobby shop. Not a very impressive demo for my customers who want telemetry.

Hugh
Aug 19, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hi Hugh,

You are correct, sensor data should show up on the transmitter when everything is running properly.

It sounds like the Aurora 9 firmware may not be up to date. Before you do anything, be sure all Hitec software/firmware is up to date/current. If you don't have one, you'll need to get hold of an HPP-22 module to update everything. See A.T.'s earlier post for version info or go to hitecrcd.com.

My experiece has been that the sensor station with gps, temp's, etc., works well.

Getting the Navi to function reliably has been more problematic. However, I may have made some progress this morning, we'll see...

Let us know how things work out. Good luck.

Don L.
AMA 654766
Aug 19, 2011, 04:02 PM
OK two more hours on a different computer at work, ASUS Tower AMD quad core 4GB RAM, 2 TB Raid 5 HD, XP Pro SP2.

This Aurora system was a dealer demo special purchased at Chicago iHobby show Fall 2010. We received it in the spring of 2011. Original shipment only contained the TX & RX. The HPP-22 arrived later, the HTS-SS even later and the NAVI just recently.

Don't get me wrong the system has worked flawlessly since the spring 2011 with never a loss of signal, lockout or glitch. The Aurora manual is Ok, had no problems configuring both planes but the manuals for the telemetry are really lacking so far as step by step and technical detail.

Firmware Versions are

Aurora 9 1.08(1)
Spectra 3.01(0)
Optima 7 2.01
NAVI 1.03 was 1.01 but it did allow an update.

HPP-22 software 1.10(0)

TX / RX are bound and have been working together in a Radian Pro & for some time. Second PKZ T-28 RX acts exactly the same.

When I plug the HTS-SS into the RX and power up I have a fast flashing blue LED on the HTS-SS, RED LED on the RX and RED on the Spectra module.

In MODEL > SENSORS only BATTERY is visible.

After getting the NAVI to update to 1.03 it will bind with the TX but only battery voltage is active. I have two temperature sensors plugged in and I think I should be seeing room ambient temperature on the TX and on the NAVI display.

What needs to be done to get data from the HTS-22 to the receiver. Yes it is plugged in.

Is their an update to the HPP-22 device?
Aug 20, 2011, 09:05 AM
All of your firmware/software is current.

I believe two cables should be attached between HTS-SS and the receiver. The first is the data cable that runs from the "D" (data port) on the HTS-SS to the Data port on the receiver. The second is the power cable that runs from the Power port on the HTS-SS to a vacant servo port on the receiver. (Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see any diagrams, etc., in the instructions regarding wiring of the device.) In any event, this is how my system is wired and it works. GPS, Temp., etc., are all visible on the transmitter display and the NAVI display on the netbook.

Hitec does not specifically mention an update for the HPP-22 device. They only state that you should have the latest version of the HPP-22 software, which you have.

Regarding the NAVI, on my Windows 7 netbook, I have discovered that the HPP-22 software will eventually crash. The only way to restore operation is to remove the software with Hitec's uninstall routine, then reinstall. If this isn't done, the NAVI won't link and the HPP-22 software displays "Run-time error: 380" whenever HTS-SS (Nitro Display) is selected as the target.
Aug 20, 2011, 03:57 PM
OK I think we are making some progress here.

Nowhere in my instructions does it indicate that two cables need to be connected between the HTS-SS and the Optima receiver. I updated all of my on line manuals yesterday.

Yes I have a standard wire sized cable that I have connected to the P socket and to the data port on the RX. I also have a much smaller cable with a 3 pin connector that will fit in the HTS-SS with a standard servo end on the other.

From what you are saying the P port on the -22 should be connected to any servo port on the RX and probably is just used to power the -22.

There are three three pin connectors on the -22 labeled D, R1, R2. Am I correct that you have this small cable plugged into D on the -22 and into the data port on the Optima?

Will try that in about two hours, at work now and we are busy with customers.

Thanks

Hugh

Quick Reply