Sep 05, 2003, 02:08 PM
Thread OP

How to make a battery pack - mpg video link

OK, here's a video on how to make a battery pack.

http://awilletts.ezonemag.com/makepack.mpg

This example shows a 10-cell pack (2 sticks of 5 cells) of HR-SC 2600's. They happen to have an insulator bonded to the positive end of the cell, so this simplifies construction somewhat.

Feedback?

Sorry, dialup guys, it's 54MB. There's no way to get the detail and content in a smaller file. I thought about splitting it up, but I don't have time right now.
..a
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2003, 02:24 PM
Purple power
excellent
Sep 05, 2003, 03:14 PM
Wow, a picture is worth....

Thank you for taking the time
Sep 05, 2003, 04:41 PM
Superb job Andy, very well done.
Sep 05, 2003, 05:26 PM
Too bad you hooked them up backwards..

Just kidding

Good video but I always thought you were not supposed to slam the cells together and that you should have no "flashing" around them as that means the solder splattered. I just ease mine together
Sep 05, 2003, 05:32 PM
Speaking of, make sure your wearing safety glasses.
Don't imagine hot solder in the eyeball would feel to good.
Sep 05, 2003, 08:16 PM
Great video... Is that a 40 or 60 Watt iron? I have a hammer head tip, but it does not fit any of the irons I have, so I'm in the market for an iron for the tip.
Sep 05, 2003, 08:39 PM
If the orange handle is what I think it is, it's probably a Weller 40W iron.

Andy, thanks for the video! Where did you get your stand for end-to-end joining? That seems like a must have.

~Dan
Sep 05, 2003, 09:38 PM
Thread OP
It's in the 'required tools' section - adjustable 40W Weller with hammerhead tip, all from Kirk @ New Creations.

Stand is a piece of angle-iron (the stuff you put up overhead garage door openers with), with two pieces of sticky-back refrigerator magnet strips stuck on! I simply clamp it to the bench - and use a velcro strap to hold the next battery down in place against the stand!

Cue - you don't know how many times I checked I had that right before I soldered! As far as slamming together, I find that there is a stronger bond when pressed at 'just the right rate' - too slow, and they are brittle and don't sit flush, too hard and they come apart - suggest folks who haven't done this before practice on some dead cells, over and over, testing the strength of the joint, until you get a good feel for what works.
..a
..a
Sep 06, 2003, 12:56 AM
Señor Meember
Linky no worky.

Mario
Sep 06, 2003, 07:06 AM
Thread OP
It's still there, and working fine.
..a
Sep 06, 2003, 07:29 AM
Thank you Andy,

The video looks great and is an incredible display of generosity on your part for taking the time to make it and sharing it here; I’ve always wondered how to make a pack. I’ll save right next to your Deans video.

Thanks again.

Kenny
Sep 06, 2003, 12:43 PM
Señor Meember
Hmm.. works now. Wonder why it didn't before. No matter. Nice video Andy.

Mario
Sep 06, 2003, 11:18 PM
mmm...link do not work...
Sep 06, 2003, 11:52 PM
Señor Meember
If you're using a downloader turn it off. Or right click and do a save target as.

Mario

Quick Reply