Wingsail Catamaran Model - Page 2 - RC Groups
Aug 03, 2011, 12:40 PM
Dan Elliott
Yes, you can adjust the camber of the wing. If you look closly at PDF 2011... Bottom veiw of the wing you'll notice two attachment points. One is for the "Sting hinge" and the other passes thought an eyelet in the front half of the wing and is then anchored to the back half of the wing. The model doesn't show it but there is an adjustment between the front attachment point and eyelet which allows you to adjust camber.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2011, 12:46 PM
Dan Elliott
Yes I would like to try weighted keel/daggerboards. I've see video of model cat's using them and sailing severl yards on one hull. I was thinking of gluing some micro mini's keel wieghts to the carbon fiber daggerboards I'm presently using. Do you think shorter boards would also help?
Aug 03, 2011, 12:50 PM
Dan Elliott
Check out the offical America's Cup wedsite. Lots of AC45 video. In one video they capsize during a practice run and drop the helmsman through the wing.
Aug 03, 2011, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Elliott
Hey, Hello. Thanks for your interest. Sorry, I should have included this information in my first post. The Models deminsions are 39" Hulls made of 16"thk. PVC sheet, 48" Mast, 24" crossmembers made of Carbon Fiber. Rudders and Daggerboards 1/16" Carbon Fiber Sheet. Wingsail is PVC structure covered with vinyl sheet, Approx.49 sq. inches. The spinnaker was barrowed from my Tunder Tiger ENTZ model. It sails well with and without spinnaker, but I'm not using any keel weights so it's very easy to flip in a strong gust. That's what makes it so much more of a challenge to sail than a monohull. I'll up load more photos, and try to show you how the wingsail rigging works. Thanks again for your comments.
Hi Dan,

im very interested on your project "wingsail"
first of all i would like to proudly present you my wingproject

and will draw your attention to my favorite web-link.
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...-Mini40/page14
Last edited by Hydroptere; Aug 03, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Aug 03, 2011, 04:59 PM
Dan Elliott
Well let me start by saying, Amazing! I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one obsessed with creating a working wingsail catamanran. But, you sir are so far ahead of me I don't know where to begin. Are you fabricating with carbon fiber, Wing & Hulls? I wish I could master that. Your Wingsail is what I hope to create in the future, once I'd worked out all the bugs. Have you sailed this boat, how do you control your wing? Please stay in touch, I'd love to exchange notes.
Aug 03, 2011, 07:08 PM
slow & draggy...

Re; Daggerboard bulbs

Wow dan, Hydro,
Those are some really impressive projects!! Almost embarrased to post my "old school" Hobie on here now - im gonna need to convert the garage into one of those cool test pools now
Anyway dan, in regards to the bulbs on the daggerboards: i originally built this cat with a scale looking set of daggerboards with no weight thinking the slightly wider beam on the boat would be enough to keep it from flipping. I pretty quickly realized that even tho it moved fast, a good gust would still blow her over, so the mod i did was to replace the daggers with slightly lengthened ones that sported small keel bulbs. i kept the bulbs light at only 2.5 oz. each, but it has vastly improved performance allowing hull flying and more reaction time if wind starts to get excessive on me. I also built a little "hobie Bob" mast float so if it does tip over it wont turtle and risk leakage into the electrics compartments. Of course taking into consideration those mods are for a 32" model, I think you guys are far advanced in your modeling skills than i, but i can say the bulbs helped my project signifigantly. excited to see more on this cat thread
Aug 03, 2011, 09:02 PM
Guys - ALWAYS looking for Formula 48/Mini40 sized multihulls to kickstart a class that began back in early 2000. Lack of builders caused a slow death, but lately I am seeing a slow recovery in interest.

Thanks for posting your projects. Have to get mine out and work on it ----again.

Regards, Dick
Aug 04, 2011, 12:34 PM
Dan Elliott
Thank you Hobiestoke, I think I'll give that a try. And, nice Hobie cat model, they really are addictive, once you fly a hull. You should check out Hydros link if you haven't aleady. It's all in German, but some of those multihulls are huge.
Aug 04, 2011, 04:49 PM
Dan Elliott
Dick L. I looked up the rules for the Mini 40 multihulls, but I'm having a hard time determining what the regulation size of the mainsail is, would you happen to know the allowed size of Mini 40 mainsail in square inches? I would like to create a Mini 40 rigid mainsail that can be slipped over an existing mast pole, and use the same rigging as a fabric sail. Thanks
Aug 04, 2011, 09:47 PM
Dan -

mainsail and jib limited total of 1400 sq. inches. Main alone is based on how big the jib will be (or vice-versa). Somewhere I have (and will find/post) the dimensions of a various set of sails for the F48/Mini40 - but in reality, if the platform would support it the mainsail alone could equal 1400 sq. inches and sailed as a uni-rig. The sizes I have, are for sails of A, B, C, and I think D sized rigs.

F48/Mini40 is different in the sail area, as it is limited to square inches or centimeters - and the 2 Meter boats have no sail area limit - but they do specify a maximum mast height. On them - you can hang as much cloth as you want (or that will fit on the specified height mast.

Not sure if you remember the Phillips Challenge catamaran - two masts - one on each hull - so in F48/Mini40 size, you still use 1400 sq. inches - with half the sail area on each hull.

Will look up and post - but not until tomorrow.
Aug 05, 2011, 07:37 AM
Kraut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Elliott
Here are photos of the top and bottom rigging and camber adjustment of the wing.
so the camber is manualy pre adjusted ?
Aug 05, 2011, 09:30 AM
can you land on that ?
Not to digress but the Moth Class look exciting in the video on the Anarchy site. Great work on winged sails BTW.
Aug 05, 2011, 10:09 AM
Dan Elliott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott
so the camber is manualy pre adjusted ?
On the previous wing shown the camber is manually pre set just to keep it simple for test purposes, But I'm going to add a servo to the next wing that will allow you to adjust the wing camber on the fly (See PDF).
Last edited by Dan Elliott; Aug 05, 2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added Crimp to camber line. That's kind of important.