Aug 22, 2011, 08:23 AM
Zack,

Wondering if you have checked out the HK Icon?

From the related posts, it's surely not up to PZ standards, but the price is attractive!

PS. Finally got my Corsair and Mustang rebuilt and flying. Forgot how much fun they were. Great flying here with temps in the low 80's and low wind!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2011, 08:38 AM
youtube.com/seafax

wheelspinmodels.co.uk out of stock

If anyone's thinking about buying their Parkzone Icon A5 from wheelspin.co.uk I'd advise you have a good think first.

They advertising it and taking payment readily enough but what they don't tell you until you phone them a week later to enquire as to whether it's been dispatched yet is that they don't actually have any.

Bloody bad form I though. Even most of the chinese companies warn you prior to purchase if they're out of stock of something.

"Hi col,

We have not has this brand new plane in stock yet, they should be with us any day now.

To add further information, please follow the link below to update this ticket, or reply to this email leaving the subject line intact.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/support

Kind Regards,

Support Team
Wheelspin Models
"
Aug 26, 2011, 08:05 PM

Availability

I know the parkzone site says this thing will be out mid October. But the guy at my hobby shop says he'll have some next week. Anyone else hearing this? Would be great to get it here before fall comes in. Not sure why they would release a seaplane after summer but guess this thing will land nicely in the snow.
Aug 29, 2011, 02:02 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsbene
Not sure why they would release a seaplane after summer but guess this thing will land nicely in the snow.
At a guess I'd say they're aware that there are two hemispheres that make up this planet LOL
Aug 29, 2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah...that makes perfect business sense TeeJay.....I forgot about the 13.1% of the worlds population in the southern hemisphere as apposed to the 86.9% who are in the North.
Sep 10, 2011, 03:49 AM
Deleted
Last edited by DangerDave; Jan 31, 2012 at 03:17 AM.
Sep 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Probably more like late October.
Sep 10, 2011, 04:01 PM
Electric Coolhunter
will be worth a litle extra wait.
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Sep 11, 2011, 02:22 AM
Deleted
Last edited by DangerDave; Jan 31, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
Sep 11, 2011, 08:15 AM
Spad Driver
Not a good idea to ever fly off of salt water. If that's you're only option, try to flush with fresh watr any component that you think has gotten wet. Make sure everything has dried out before flying again. Waterproofing with whatever method you choose is a must.
Sep 15, 2011, 05:21 AM
Deleted
Last edited by DangerDave; Jan 31, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
Sep 15, 2011, 02:06 PM
I live next to a salt water lake in Charleston, SC. Wanting to experience amphibious flying, I added pontoons to my PZ F4F Wildcat. A fun build, but flying was very frustrating. She would easily pitch-pull on take offs, resulting in wet...then failed electronics.

These results were experienced on both fresh and salt water bodies, leaving me to conclude that RC electronics don't mix well with water of any type.

Still, I will give this Icon A5 a try. I'm guessing that the design will keep things dry inside.
Sep 15, 2011, 03:06 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Look into Corrosion X. I haven't "tested" mine yet, but both of my water planes have had their electronics thoroughly treated. Should work for saltwater as well.

-Jay
Sep 16, 2011, 04:32 AM
youtube.com/seafax
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDave
Does the Icon need to fly from fresh water only or can it handle salt water as well?
Mine's going to be flown exclusively off salt water.
Sep 16, 2011, 07:55 AM
Many electric boat guys soak their speed controllers, motors and receivers in Corrosion-X (available at boating stores). I never have but it might be something to look into. Fresh water won't bother motors but it can fry a speed controller and receiver. Whether in salt or fresh water, if your speed controller gets soaked, immediately disconnect the battery after the aircraft is recovered. I highly suggest discontinued use for the day (even if it appears to be working correctly). If it was dunked in salt water, cut off the shrink wrap if feasible and flush out all the electrics with WD40, Corrosion X or alcohol (this doesn't hurt for a fresh water dunking either). Put all your gear on a AC/heater vent or window sill and let it dry for a few days. Don't forget to relube motor bearings.

Again, if you take a chance running your plane with a wet speed controller or receiver, you run the risk of a destroying your plane. I've done it with boats and the results were not pretty.
Last edited by ATC Chilli; Sep 16, 2011 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply