Subscribed!

Looking forward to this build
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2012, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclefacts
Subscribed!

Looking forward to this build
Thanks, I haven't time to work on this right now, but hope to get back on it by Christmas. I really want to have a flying plane by Christmas.

Thanks, SlowBipe
Jan 17, 2013, 07:07 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Update?
Jan 23, 2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
Update?
Sorry for the lack of action here. Health and family issues have kept me from doing anything on this right now. I have even stopped building the production SlowBipe's for a little while.

Thanks again for asking and for reading.

SlowBipe
Jan 25, 2013, 11:24 AM
How can I get one of those 10 inch micro bipes I never seen them for sale
Feb 08, 2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmanpuffer
How can I get one of those 10 inch micro bipes I never seen them for sale
Fishman,

Sorry, but I just can't keep up right now. That project went back on hold for a little bit longer. Thanks for asking.

SlowBipe
Feb 10, 2013, 01:51 AM
Tuk
Tuk
Add
Feb 11, 2013, 09:47 PM
This particular post dates back to November but I'm waaaaay interested in this design.

Have you ever seen Agri-Duck? Or Mud Duck? The plane website mudduckaviation.com is down the past few weeks so can't show an image directly but you should be able to find something via youtube. (The plane apparently changed ownership last year, new owner moving material across country, haven't heard anything new about that in a long time.)

Design originated as Mud Duck (the high-wing 3ch version,) actually intended as somewhat of a 'cartoon airplane.' But it turned out to be such an excellent slow fly design that several different sizes of plans and short kits were produced, and actually developed a bit of a cult following.

Agri-Duck is a style very similar to yours, huge and slow, low mounted wing not biplane (though I think some folks did do biplane versions.) Construction is fomecore with a few hardwood sticks at certain points and hardware to fasten struts and such. It was also originally designed for liquid fuel power.

Agri-Duck is the low-wing 4ch version, (ailerons not elevons,) which is what I'm really interested in and how I found your info here.

Agri-Duck was meant to be built in literally a few hours, all straight line cuts and hot glued into a very boxy shape. Yours is allll curves and in that sense a lot more stylish.

In any case this is what got my attention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBipe
The problem was that this material will not roll to the under camber without snapping. I solved this problem by cutting slots through the wing from tip to tip about every 1/2 inch. These slots were cut on a table saw and went about half way into the foam. I then had to add additional hardwood leading and trailing edges to keep the wing from bowing in the middle when the wing was rolled.
Agri-Duck does something very similar with the fomecore, the cuts, however no leading edge wood. Instead there's a flat piece of fomecore a few inches wide along the inside-underside of the leading edge. Plus packing tape. That's what gives the LE strength.

Quote:
It was still very difficult to get the foam to roll and say in that position. The wing struts and wing saddle kept these in place.
Agri-Duck uses spars glued into place to hold the airfoil shape.

Quote:
After the huge success of the honeycomb structure I used in the tail feathers, I am thinking of using some similar tech in the design of my wings.
And how about the fuse too? Anywhere you can lose weight -especially- further back will help a lot.

The pics I saw, the rudder I think might have too much material left.

The hexagonal honeycomb -looks- nice but its' real purpose as used by bees is -not- to necessarily maximise strength but to maximise -storage- -space-. I think you'd get more strength and lose more material with a simpler triangle honeycomb.

Or better yet this would be an interesting challenge for a structural engineer to analyze the strains/forces between the rudder pivot post and the edges of the rudder and find a more material-economical pattern of cutouts. I'm -guessing- that there need to be greater density of material at the -exact- point where the rudder mounts to the fuse, and then more and more cut out as the material goes out to the edges of the rudder. (Because the forces are spread out more rather than focused.)

Also I think the rudder-pivot could go 2/3 up the height of the rudder and add a ton of strength at near-zero extra weight. (That's CF tube, correct?)

Quote:
The only question I have is whether having a non smooth surface on the bottom of my wings will create a disruptive drag that would be undesirable.
The slots are turbulators. So who cares about 'drag?' Nothing could be better than flying slower. LOL! As long as they're even and straight and symmetrical any changes in handling from previous versions will be at least balanced and repeatable.
Feb 15, 2013, 01:14 PM
jbarchuk,

Thanks for the great detail post. I can see you put a lot of thought into this. I wish I have more time to reply to this right now, but it will have to wait for later.

Cheers, SlowBipe
Jun 09, 2013, 10:54 AM
"To Hover is Divine"
Excellent SlowBipe.............one fun ship.
Sep 17, 2013, 02:32 PM
SlowBipe,
I hope all of your family's medical issues are behind you now.
Any update on the new Giant Bipe? I am still interested.
Sep 17, 2013, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
SlowBipe,
I hope all of your family's medical issues are behind you now.
Any update on the new Giant Bipe? I am still interested.
+1 +2 +3 +4

I still watch the vid a couple times a month. The youtube vid has almost 11k views. (The one linked off the first post in this thread.

I'd give $20 for pdf plans. That'd actually be best because I think I'd build a 50% first to work out assembly details (such as a 2-piece fuse.)

I'd give $40 for rolled printed plans.

Of course I'd add ailerons but that's on my dime.

I don't even need a build log or assembly instructions. I can figure out the gory details - it's the overall design that's the real value.

Once in a while I think about trying harder to find a set of Agri-Duck plans, but Giantbipe is much better with all foam construction and vastly classier design.
Sep 17, 2013, 07:04 PM
I agree.
Sep 18, 2013, 01:14 PM
Thank you for the feedback again. The plane was very unique but had a number of issues. I have worked most of these issues out with the next design, but have not had time to complete the build and fly. This next plane will be so much better.

My time right now is getting the smaller SlowBipe's back into production as a kit so that my efforts can be sustainable. Then when I have flown the new Giant, I could provide PDF plans to make that sustainable.

On the issue with Ailerons, you wouldn't like them. I have tried them on every size of the SlowBipe that I have build and none performed as expected. Just not enough airflow over the wings at these slow speeds.

On the other hand the new version of the GiantBipe has massive elevons on the tail which on the smaller planes performs flawlessly. This is because of the dramatic airflow down the fuselage from the prop even as slow to zero airspeed. On the smaller planes I am able to roll this plane with these where the aileron's did not accomplish this even when consuming massive amounts of the wing for them. This also weakened the wings whose structural integrity is based on the forced under camber of the wing and held in place by the fuselage and the struts.

It is also very easy to implement the elevons but more difficult to implement ailerons.

The new design is bigger at about 86 inch and has an even thicker wing cord. I think it would be very cool if a plane this size moving this slow could roll across the sky as if it were suspended by wires.

Thanks again for the feedback, that is what really motivates me to get back into this project. Also my wife will need to take a vacation for me to do it as well. That seems to be when I get the most design work done.

SlowBipe
Sep 18, 2013, 01:54 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Michael:

I heard the news on the Crash cast last week that you were going back into production, as kits rather than arfs, and was very happy to hear it. Will they be direct or through Heads Up?

Both because there's a lot of demand for bipes, but also because that would indicate that the family and health-related issues are likely to have receded a bit for you.

Having looked closely at the tabbed design and construction I think going to the kit format will be an unmitigated success for you, you'll be able to produce far more kits in the time you used to make arfs in, and the parts link together so well the outcome will be just as straight.

Anything I can do to support the development on the Giant? I have large PDF plotting ability if nothing else.

J