New GiantBipe Design from SlowBipe - Page 3 - RC Groups
Nov 11, 2012, 09:01 PM
Proverbs 12:15
Looks great - I'm interested as well.

Doug B.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2012, 09:10 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
I seen the start of it in person last spring all I can say is HUGE.
Nov 11, 2012, 09:12 PM
Perfect, my favorite size.

Doug B.
Nov 12, 2012, 06:51 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
You say it will have elevons? Not separate elevator and aileron?
We want more pictures!
I want one.
Nov 12, 2012, 07:12 AM
I see now... I just watched the video of the stuntbipe and see how you are making the horizontal stabilizor a flying one and one that can be controlled independently. Really neat.
Nov 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
Yes, the elevons greatly simplify installation, and because of their very wide stance create dramatic roll. Better than most ailerons due to the fact they are in the prop wash. On the smaller plane it reacts well even at stall speeds.

The span on the plane is supposed to be 86 inches, and the tip to tip elevon span is 62 inches.

The original GiantBipe was too flexible to do any sort of stunts. I did a loop once, but it was pretty scary. I believe that this one is going to be stiff enough to do them but that is the hardest thing to do when building something this big and this light. I have some pretty large carbon tubes to connect the top wing together. I think they are 8mm diameter. I won't know how well this will work until I get the wings done.

I have also increased the size of the motor on this plane. The original flew with only a 40mm x 60mm 500kv motor. And it did this on only 3 cells spinning a 24 x 4" hand carved propeller. Motor weight was 11 oz. It did have enough power to pull the plane over the top with a little bit of a head run, but just barely.

This time I am using a 50mm x 65mm motor with a motor weight of 14 oz. I haven't figured out battery and propeller yet, but expect to try the 3 cell first because that's what I have. I could also go with 6 cell, but then would be limited to about an 18" prop. I know it would have the power then, but don't think I would like the efficiency of the smaller prop. I think my preference would be a big 4 cell pack using a big 24" propeller but that would require a battery I don't have yet.

Here is a link to the motor that is planned for this plane. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-04%29/Detail

Last night I managed to build one of the elevons complete. It is about 30" long and 20" wide. I first marked the cut start spot on the board, then routed out the honeycomb structure of the elevon. Then I took the board out of the router and spray glued 2mm depron foam sheet to one side of the honeycomb cut board. Then I flipped over the board and glued in the 2 plywood bearing guides (These are used to slide the elevon onto the shaft in the tail of the plane). Then I glued on the second sheet of 2mm depron to this side. Once this was done I mounted the newly laminated board back into the router and positioned the start to the mark that I made with the first cut. Then I routed out the perimeter to have a finished elevon.

The control horn also serves as the third bearing guide and glues in last into a precut slot. This now just slides on and off of the rod at the tail of the plane.

Total weight of the finished elevon came out to 4.2 oz for a very stiff (doesn't flex at all) and very flat elevon. Total elevon thickness is about .7 inch.

The original GiantBipe used solid 1/2 dow foam for the elevator and rudder. This was too heavy, too warped and too small. I hope to solve all of these problems with this unique and complex solution. The honeycomb structure with skinned like this is one of the stongest strength to weight ratio of any structure you can find.

Each elevon will be driven by a metal geared Mini servo, but it doesn't appear that it would need this much torque.

I am planning on using a standard sized cheap servo for the rudder because that is what I have on hand. However, dropping weight anywhere you can on this plane is a good idea. I plan to use 2mm carbon rods for the the control rods, with 1/16 music wire glued to the ends.

I'll post pics of whatever else I have done tonight.

SlowBipe
Nov 12, 2012, 05:22 PM
I can only imagine how much design planning goes into this thing. It took me 4 hours to cut out a battery hatch and then make a cover to fit for my P47! It looked like it should have took one hour, tops.
Are you offering this through Heads Up too or direct?
Nov 13, 2012, 10:33 PM
Here are some more pictures. Notice the very small plane that sits in the center of the elevon on the tail of this plane. You can hardly see it. I designed this 10 inch Micro SlowBipe last weekend. It flys slow enough to fly inside the house.

I am so pleased with the construction of the rudder and elevons. The rudder is massive and weighs only 7 oz. It is also extremely stiff. The Elevons weigh 4.5oz each. Large control horns are integrated into the build, and serves as both horn and bearing. Rod connecting the rudder is currently 5mm carbon tube. I think I would prefer to have like 6mm for more stiffness.

The last picture shows the back half of the fuselage being glued together. Gorilla Glue is used almost exclusively except for sheeting. That stuff really works well for this kind of a job. Light, strong and gap filling.

Enjoy the pictures.

Thanks, SlowBipe
Nov 13, 2012, 10:47 PM
Caster Of Pods
This is AWESOME!!
Nov 13, 2012, 10:51 PM
I have to have one these. You need a test pilot in Idaho don't you
Nov 13, 2012, 10:51 PM
+1, I'm only 6 hours away from the factory.

Doug B.
Nov 13, 2012, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance
I have to have one these. You need a test pilot in Idaho don't you
It is too slow for you, he needs a test pilot in WA.

Doug B.
Nov 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo
It is too slow for you, he needs a test pilot in WA.

Doug B.
I don't have anything that flies faster than walking speed besides I already have a stunt bipe so I have more experience than you
Nov 13, 2012, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance
I don't have anything that flies faster than walking speed besides I already have a stunt bipe so I have more experience than you
Uhh, nothing faster than waking speed? Ya right.

I fly helicopters so I'm hip to the sloooooow flight technology. I'll get a stunt bipe when I pick up the giant bipe to even things out.

Doug B.
Nov 14, 2012, 05:33 AM
I have been waiting since FEB 2010! That should count for something.
I was so excited when this thread finally came up in the My RC Groups again.

Slowbipe, you still have that full time employee working for you? You may need it.