New GiantBipe Design from SlowBipe - Page 10 - RC Groups
Aug 03, 2016, 06:22 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
There’a a difference between planes that fly SLOW and planes that do High A or hovering ... One is SLOW , the other is doing aerobatics ... Both much appreciated , just different ...

We remember in the Hindenburg Hanger at Lakehurst , the old guys had these little planes that flew and looked so real at very SLOW speeds ... they were as light as a feather ... some that flew like a Blimp ... REALLY Really SLOW ... I landed Art Villand’s biplane on a small folding card table ...That’s SLOW !!!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2016, 06:31 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Note: The Big Porky Piper (GeneBond) was so SLOW , ( How Slow was it ? ) it was almost blimp like , and was terribly underpowered with a geared J250 swinging a 12” low pitch prop ... Giving you plenty of time to make any corrections , and a nap too ... hahahaha
Aug 07, 2016, 03:25 PM

Big Porky Piper

Constructed Big Piper several years ago. Great flier, used J250 and small inrunner geared 6.6 to 1 and doubled FFF fuselage . Later switched to 42 mm HXT 700 on 12x8 and 3 cell. More than 100 flights. A delight. Place in a tight flat spin and add power to a climbing flat spin. Land at walking speed. Definitely a difference between 3D and slow flight with high lift wing.
Aug 07, 2016, 09:37 PM
Retired CAD guy
I have the parts cut for a monster Porky Piper at ~ 64" span.
The UC is monstrous !

A few other things have intervened so It'll be a while but I'll Get er Done eventually :-)
And I'll report back here AND do a video too.

Patience :-)

Bob
Aug 09, 2017, 12:48 PM
Ok, reviving this thread because I want to build a giant slow flying biplane next winter and put it on floats!

I've built a Mako and a Jupiter Junior on floats - this would be so fun to fly at dusk over the water!

Anybody ever get anywhere with this?

Anybody want to help me?

Thanks

Scott
Aug 10, 2017, 05:51 AM
Larry P
Scott I would be interested in building one myself please keep posting your findings.
Aug 10, 2017, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofer 303
Scott I would be interested in building one myself please keep posting your findings.
Just so you don't think I picked up the ball and immediately dropped it, I am first exploring whether I can upscale a Jupiter Junior to fly like the giant slow bipe (GSB).

It may be a path of less resistance rather than reverse engineering this plane.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...biplane/page27
Aug 10, 2017, 01:44 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Another 3 channel bipe that has been scaled up is the "Bipie" , here is one by sr71afan :

Bipie 36-inch at the SkatePlex (3 min 6 sec)

Here's the thread : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-cartoon-style
Aug 10, 2017, 02:29 PM
Nice plane and flying, but I am not looking for big I want GIANT! lol
Aug 10, 2017, 03:02 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NH
Nice plane and flying, but I am not looking for big I want GIANT! lol
Any plane can be scaled up to giant size , you just have to determine where to put appropriate reinforcement .
Aug 12, 2017, 09:01 AM
Retired CAD guy
There is a tentative 80" layout. on 4' x 8' foam sheeting on the new Thread .
Last edited by birdofplay; Aug 12, 2017 at 11:39 AM.
Aug 13, 2017, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
There is a tentative 80" layout. on 4' x 8' foam sheeting on the new Thread .
What's the link to that thread? Thanks
Aug 13, 2017, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2soar
What's the link to that thread? Thanks
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Jupiter-Giant