New GiantBipe Design from SlowBipe - RC Groups
Jul 27, 2011, 02:01 PM
Discussion

New GiantBipe Design from SlowBipe

I have finally decided to design and build a GiantBipe airplane that can disassemble into a package small enough to ship. This will be a slower build, because I am designing so as to provide this as a kit on my website.

You can follow along as I learn new things. Hopefully I can get most of it right from the beginning.

About 18 months ago I build a Giant Biplane called the GiantBipe. There was a thread on that one. I have linked in the video of that plane flying as well as some pictures to give you an idea of size. You have to see it fly to believe it.

This plane flew on an 11 oz motor using only a 3 cell pack. The prop was hand carved out of poplar and was about a 24 x 4. The plane lifted off the ground at about 3 mph and has extremely slow flight characteristics. It weighed about 8.5 lbs and would cruse on only 14 amps or 140 watts.

In this new design I am doing, everything is going to be better. I plan to have a kit available for these planes once I am complete.

This probably has to be the easiest to fly trainer I have ever seen but is probably a little bit big for the beginner to start with. It has a 76" span right now and will have 3500 sq in of wing area. It will be 94" long and is bigger than the Giant 12 ft Telemaster from Hobby Lobby. The biggest difference is that this plane will weigh less than 7.5 lbs and the 12 ft Telemaster weighs about 28 lbs. The motor recommended for the 12 Telemaster had a cost on it of about $600. I flew my plane with a $29 motor cruising on 14 amps with full power pulling 60 amps. This new design has a span 4 inches shorter than the original, but the thicker chord actually makes the one I am building now a little bigger.

It flies so slowly that I could fly it in a standard single court gym. It has the ability to turn in a very short space, and has no stall to speak of.

So, on with the build.

SlowBipe

SlowBipe (2 min 58 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2011, 02:36 PM

First parts complete

I have finished building a few of the parts for the plane and have some pictures to show.

I started with the horizontal stabilizer. This time I needed this structure to be bigger than the last plane, so a solid core design was not going to cut it. I came up with a honeycomb structure that would give a wonderful flat elevator without all of the weight. Honeycomb core is made from 1/2" pink construction foam. This core is sheeted on both sides with 3mm grey depron foam. Size is about 38 inches by 21 inches and total finished weight with hinge is 7 oz.

Here are the pictures.
Jul 27, 2011, 05:37 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
That's one BIG Biplane there SB !!!

Flies at amazing Realistic speed , looks like a full size one in the air ... Very Very Cool !!!
Jul 27, 2011, 05:59 PM
Fly and Crash
Very cool, I followed and enjoyed the previous thread on the GiantBipe. Just a quick question though, what is this great $29 motor that will be powering this fantastic plane?
Jul 27, 2011, 06:17 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
That's one SLOW bipe! How fast do you estimate it's flying?.. The large size of the model makes it look even slower than it probably is.. Have you tried walking alongside it? Is normal walk fast or slower in calm conditions?...

Amazing stuff anyway!

Good luck with the new model.

Steve
Jul 27, 2011, 06:38 PM

big bipe

I would like to see you get this kitted , love my slow bipe kit I got from you, I tried to use a blue wonder and it flew pretty good but not like the 2228 180 watt I put in it now it will hang on the prop forever and I fly in 15 mph winds and no problems, its a great plane cant wait for the giant one, Fred
Jul 27, 2011, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselBird
Very cool, I followed and enjoyed the previous thread on the GiantBipe. Just a quick question though, what is this great $29 motor that will be powering this fantastic plane?
This is the motor that I used on the original 8.5 lb GiantBipe.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html

I am corrected as this motor is now only $25. This motor is designed to work with 15 inch props and 6 cells, but I used a 24 inch prop running on 3 cells. You don't need very high rpm's when you are only flying at 5 to 10 mph.

It had enough power to pull one loop, but it shook so much coming out of the loop that I didn't try it again.

I expect better things from this next design as I have learned so much more since then.

SlowBipe
Jul 27, 2011, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
That's one SLOW bipe! How fast do you estimate it's flying?.. The large size of the model makes it look even slower than it probably is.. Have you tried walking alongside it? Is normal walk fast or slower in calm conditions?...

Amazing stuff anyway!

Good luck with the new model.

Steve
Steve,

You are absolutely right. The large size of the model does make it look slower than it really is flying. With that said it is very slow. In standard forward flight I think it's flying at about 6 mph. It's a good run to keep up. At full power I think it was going about 12 mph.

Pull back on the massive elevator a little bit and increase the power a little and it harrier's down to about 2 mph. Even in a harrier you can steer it around like a car.

Slowbipe
Jul 28, 2011, 09:12 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
That's awesome! I cannot believe that it will fly so slowly. I will have to get one of those in the future to teach others.
Jul 28, 2011, 09:14 AM

More pictures

Here is a picture of the first wing panel completed. It is 1/2" white bead foam skinned on the top side with 3mm white depron. This allows it to roll into its under-camber shape. There will be four panels this size.

SlowBipe
Oct 07, 2011, 07:00 AM
Suspended Account
any news on this ?
Oct 07, 2011, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83
any news on this ?
Thanks for asking about the progress on this project. I have been pegged from starting a new job, and working to keep up on the SlowBipe's. I will get back to this project, but am not sure how soon. I am really impressed on how the elevator turned out. It's actually magnificently light and stiff. As I set this aside it also gives me time to refine the design as I think through different issues.

SlowBipe
Oct 07, 2011, 05:15 PM
Suspended Account
stumbled across your other thread on the smaller plane and i'm tempted...any chance you can do 145 shipped on that?
Oct 10, 2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83
stumbled across your other thread on the smaller plane and i'm tempted...any chance you can do 145 shipped on that?
Porcia,

Please send me an email at sales@SlowBipe.com and we can discuss it offline.

SlowBipe
Dec 29, 2011, 01:38 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
I want one... what's up with the progress?