Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:37 AM
agent3mc is offline
Find More Posts by agent3mc
Aer0bat
Thanks all. Never thought about using duct tape to finish the edges. Should be pretty simple to put something together.

I have some build questions regarding the elevator installation:

1. What do you use to measure from the wing tube to the elevator? I've heard people use string, but I would think that would stretch, and its hard to hold a meter stick steady and get a good reading. Just wondering what the consensus is on the most effective/preferred method to get this right.

2. What points do you measure between? I am thinking the outer tip/trailing edge of the wing tube to the rear most corner of the elevator control surface. Or should I be measuring to the leading edge/corner of the stab?

3. Do I need to do some final trimming of the ultracote so the wood from the fuselage is in contact with wood on the stab? Right now, as it stands, I'd be gluing the wood on the fuse to mostly covering on the stab. Will this hold? The stab fits pretty loosely, moreso than I though it would. The vid said to use gap filling CA,and it looks like I'll be using quite a lot of it.

4. What is the margin of error on squaring up the elevator? If I'm off a couple mm, is that going to cause problems?

I want to get this right so I don't end up with poor performance, so any help/guidance is sincerely appreciated.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:46 AM
3drcparts is offline
Find More Posts by 3drcparts
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
I use a metal tape measure, I put the wing on, tape the ailerons to neutral and measure from the outer tip of the elevator to the outer tip of the aileron, also measure side to side on the horizontal stab, once I'm happy, I go have a beer. The next morning I look at again and if it is still perfect and also check for the wing and stab to be perfectly in line by sighting down the plane I drops two drops of thin Ca on the joint, come back latter and remeasure everything and if it still looks perfect I thin Ca it and I follow up with some medium CA. A bit off won't matter much in flight but it will bug you to no end because you will see it every time you fly away from your self
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:12 PM
Mr Big Head is online now
Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Registered User
Mr Big Head's Avatar
I maidened mine yesterday. I can already tell it is going to be an awesome aircraft. I too struggle with the alignment of the rear stab on every build. I like your ideas of setting it up and going to have a beer! Mine was pretty loose too but I just used some medium ca at the gaps and so far so good.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:42 PM
dth7 is offline
Find More Posts by dth7
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
dth7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
I maidened mine yesterday. I can already tell it is going to be an awesome aircraft. I too struggle with the alignment of the rear stab on every build. I like your ideas of setting it up and going to have a beer! Mine was pretty loose too but I just used some medium ca at the gaps and so far so good.
I haven't gotten to that on my build yet but on others I've used baking powder with thin CA as a filler. Caution- fill the gap with the powder first then weep in the ca. It sets hard and is difficult to sand. I've used it on foamies too. Would pins help set it for glue once it's line up?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:44 PM
Ducati Mechanic is offline
Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
I maidened mine yesterday. I can already tell it is going to be an awesome aircraft. I too struggle with the alignment of the rear stab on every build. I like your ideas of setting it up and going to have a beer! Mine was pretty loose too but I just used some medium ca at the gaps and so far so good.
Congrats! It's a great plane!

Yeah I think that's a daunting task for all of us, I measure it about 20 times before I tack it with a few drops of CA. Then I measured it again, before I do the final gluing.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:05 PM
m0dest is offline
Find More Posts by m0dest
aka ECAA3D
m0dest's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
I haven't gotten to that on my build yet but on others I've used baking powder with thin CA as a filler. Caution- fill the gap with the powder first then weep in the ca. It sets hard and is difficult to sand. I've used it on foamies too. Would pins help set it for glue once it's line up?

Yet another great use for baking powder. Medium CA usually fills it within a couple passes after a couple passes of thin CA

Quote:
I want to get this right so I don't end up with poor performance, so any help/guidance is sincerely appreciated.
I think this is the point that hold most up....it's a good screw up if you dork it. I measure from the leading edge of the wing tip as it holds the tape measure in place. Make sure you check the stabilizer horizontally as well. Eyeball it to your wings...don't measure from the ground up. Once in position and you have measured and re-measured don't screw around and tack it. Then measure it again.

If anything is out of place you can use a couple drops of CA debonder and reposition.

After the first 2 planes the 3rd is much easier. Like 2 days pondering with the CA in hand easier. Spend more time making sure it is correct and confidently glue it in place. Once tacked and a couploe of passes of thin CA, you are golden to start using your filler glue.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:39 PM
ryyoungs is offline
Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Thumbs in training
ryyoungs's Avatar
I found a used 60" extra for sale and was wondering what you guys think I should pay for it. The plane only has a few flights on it and from the pics I've seen is in great shape. It comes with extreme flight motor/esc and JR DS3421 servos. I know the used plane market is soft right now and don't want to over pay.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:44 PM
m0dest is offline
Find More Posts by m0dest
aka ECAA3D
m0dest's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyoungs View Post
I found a used 60" extra for sale and was wondering what you guys think I should pay for it. The plane only has a few flights on it and from the pics I've seen is in great shape. It comes with extreme flight motor/esc and JR DS3421 servos. I know the used plane market is soft right now and don't want to over pay.
300-400ish if it is good shape.

The airframe new will cost you 310.00 those servos are not cheap.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:56 PM
7oneWo1f is offline
Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
AMF Years
7oneWo1f's Avatar
ryyoungs, look at what it would cost you to build this plane, verify he built it well--horizontal stab centered and equidistant from wing tube ends, parallel to wing tube, hinges done right, then decide how much his build time is worth. I am assuming it would be a local sale.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:57 PM
jlloyd1995 is offline
Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Registered User
jlloyd1995's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyoungs View Post
I found a used 60" extra for sale and was wondering what you guys think I should pay for it. The plane only has a few flights on it and from the pics I've seen is in great shape. It comes with extreme flight motor/esc and JR DS3421 servos. I know the used plane market is soft right now and don't want to over pay.
I built one with that setup and other top of the line stuff and it cost me well over $1000 and I got discounts on everything.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
agent3mc is offline
Find More Posts by agent3mc
Aer0bat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
Congrats! It's a great plane!

Yeah I think that's a daunting task for all of us, I measure it about 20 times before I tack it with a few drops of CA. Then I measured it again, before I do the final gluing.
Thanks all. I still would like to know if the bond between wood/ultracote is going to be OK, or if I need to trim away the ultracote so there is a wood/wood bond. I'm not sure if its normal or a fluke, but the covering on the stab extends well inside the fuse when the parts are fitted, so as it stands, I'd be gluing wood from the fuse to the covering on the stab.
Last edited by agent3mc; Dec 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:36 AM
Ducati Mechanic is offline
Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent3mc View Post
Thanks all. I still would like to know if the bond between wood/ultracote is going to be OK, or if I need to trim away the ultracote so there is a wood/wood bond. I'm not sure if its normal or a fluke, but the covering on the stab extends well inside the fuse when the parts are fitted, so as it stands, I'd be gluing wood from the fuse to the covering on the stab.

There all like that. its not a issue, if you leave it.. I don't trim mine(Don't want to see wood, or have the covering shrink back), and I've never had a issue.. After using thin, and med CA, it never moves.

If it makes you feel better? Its fine to trim it back, just be careful that you don't cut into the wood, when removing the covering..
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:26 AM
Doc Austin is online now
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
I remember a friend totalled out a plane that he had been flying for about a year, and we ripped the stab out to see what kind of bond you get with wood to covering.

We were amazed to disover that he had apparently tack glued the stab in with a couple of drops so he could measure it, and then forgot to go back and finish the job. That stab was held in there through all those flights, all those G forces and all that stress by just a couple of drops of CA.

In the old days we could have cut the covering back, or built the plane first and then covered everything, but modern Ca is so damm good that I almost never use anything else. I can't remember the last time I used epoxy, and I have not even seen a bottle of white glue since the 80s!

Now, with Laser cutting, everything fits so good that you almost never even need thick (gap filling) CA any more!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:30 PM
_OZ_ is offline
Find More Posts by _OZ_
It's gone...
_OZ_'s Avatar
Plus, you can debond CA for repairs. With epoxy you have to cut, scrape, grid and sand.

I dont cut back covering anymore either.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:55 PM
agent3mc is offline
Find More Posts by agent3mc
Aer0bat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I remember a friend totalled out a plane that he had been flying for about a year, and we ripped the stab out to see what kind of bond you get with wood to covering.

We were amazed to disover that he had apparently tack glued the stab in with a couple of drops so he could measure it, and then forgot to go back and finish the job. That stab was held in there through all those flights, all those G forces and all that stress by just a couple of drops of CA.

In the old days we could have cut the covering back, or built the plane first and then covered everything, but modern Ca is so damm good that I almost never use anything else. I can't remember the last time I used epoxy, and I have not even seen a bottle of white glue since the 80s!

Now, with Laser cutting, everything fits so good that you almost never even need thick (gap filling) CA any more!
awesome, thanks everyone! no trimming required!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Extreme Flight 70" Extra 300 EXP - build/fly/video hercdriver7777 3D Flying 2637 Oct 16, 2016 06:20 PM
Build Log Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP - Build/Fly/Video FlopGun 3D Flying 249 Apr 16, 2012 11:46 AM
Help! D-60 build thread Chronic DS'er Dynamic Soaring 3 Jun 23, 2011 11:04 PM
Sold Extreme Flight 58" Extra Ready To Fly (GA) traderdave2 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 11 Apr 26, 2011 06:33 PM
Video EXTREME FLIGHT RC EXTRA 300EXP in Action! EXTREME FLIGHT Electric Plane Talk 1 Jun 10, 2009 09:45 PM