Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Mar 07, 2013, 08:42 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er
I've owned both motors. Both are sick. You get slightly more power from the Torque because it's 500kv but you can get your motrofly wound to 500kv if you like and that would even out the power. The motrofly 4315-480kv is no slouch and gives you AT LEAST an extra minute of flight time over the Torque and comes down ridiculously cool.

I like power combos though and one stop shopping so my next EF plane will probably get a Torque/AB combo.

I haven't been able to kill either motor so i'd say they are on par with each other. As long as it is in an EF airframe who cares, just huck it
I have a Motrolfly, but wouldn't mind trying out the Torque. I would go with a 16x7 which would provide about the same power my Motrolfly 480kV makes with a 16x8 (1775W peak). 16x8 should be just of over 2000W peak on the 500kV Torque.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2013, 04:28 PM
Registered User
toolman18's Avatar
Okay I ordered 2 5245's and 2 225mg's. should have everything by Monday. Just need a prop. I think 16x8 for the motrolfly 4315-480. Is Apc fine or do I need something a little better?
Last edited by toolman18; Mar 08, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
Mar 08, 2013, 04:57 PM
Team Twisted!
hone1er's Avatar
I don't think those 5085s will last very long, i'd seriously consider upgrading those before you fly it. Go with a good wood prop like a xoar. They're more efficient.
Mar 08, 2013, 07:30 PM
Registered User
toolman18's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er
I don't think those 5085s will last very long, i'd seriously consider upgrading those before you fly it. Go with a good wood prop like a xoar. They're more efficient.
Sorry. 5245's
Mar 08, 2013, 07:40 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
I've always read that the 225s had centering problems... Let us know how they work out.
Mar 08, 2013, 07:59 PM
Suspended Account
I used 225s in my extra. They weren't lightning fast but never had centering issues.
Mar 08, 2013, 08:11 PM
Registered User
toolman18's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbkx125
I used 225s in my extra. They weren't lightning fast but never had centering issues.
I'm putting the 225's on ailerons
Mar 08, 2013, 10:36 PM
Registered User
Well couldn't stand it R/W/Black Extra on the road to join my 60" MXS,setup will be:

4315-480
CC Talon
5245's all around
Falcon 16x8
6s 3300's
Mar 08, 2013, 10:40 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestColoFlyer
Well couldn't stand it R/W/Black Extra on the road to join my 60" MXS,setup will be:

4315-480
CC Talon
5245's all around
Falcon 16x8
6s 3300's
Congrats... this is a awesome plane and will be a good addition to the MXS. Have you used the Falcon 16x8 before?
Mar 08, 2013, 10:53 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44
Congrats... this is a awesome plane and will be a good addition to the MXS. Have you used the Falcon 16x8 before?
Nope i have the Torque motor in the MXS, so i have been running the Xoar 15x8 so far. But others have said on the V2 can run 16" so might try the Falcon on MXS also.
Meant to say also i have been running a Falcon prop on my 60cc gasser and like it so wanted to try them on my smaller electrics.
Mar 09, 2013, 08:53 AM
Inverted tail dragger
1st timer's Avatar
Just finished my build and hopefully maiden tomorrow if the wind settles down,I'm using my trusty Hyperion z4020/12 on 5s and going to start with a 15x9 Aeronaut carbon prop and then try afew 16" props,I know the amps will be abit high,but,I know the Hyperion can handle it,my Edge has the same motor in it and it comes down very cool spinning a 15x8 prop.
Is it morning yet?can't hardly wait
Mar 09, 2013, 09:02 AM
Inverted tail dragger
1st timer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman18
I'm putting the 225's on ailerons
I do too without any problems and I also use combos of 225's & 5245's in my other planes(3dhs Slick & Edge)not allround either with some 5245's on the tail and 225's on the wings and with this plane I've got 5245's in the wings and rudder and 225 on the elevator.
Mar 10, 2013, 11:16 PM
Registered User
Trill's Avatar

I'm not from Missouri, but I've flown RC airplanes in Missouri...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
I guess the servo war thing has gotten worn out, but in the motor wars there is only one nuclear weapon, and that's the Torque.

I was in on the development program for the 4016/500 Mk II, and my instructions were to fly it hard until it blew up. I flew it all of May, June, and the brutal 95 degeees and 99% humidity of August and September. It was hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of meciless flights, often changing the pack out on the runway during heat saturation tests, and it never even phased the thing. In spite of the hours and hours and hours of super hard running in horrid conditions, that motor is as strong today as when it came out of the box.

So, when there is talk about anything being better than the Torque, just show me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er
I've owned both motors. Both are sick. You get slightly more power from the Torque because it's 500kv but you can get your motrofly wound to 500kv if you like and that would even out the power. The motrofly 4315-480kv is no slouch and gives you AT LEAST an extra minute of flight time over the Torque and comes down ridiculously cool.

I like power combos though and one stop shopping so my next EF plane will probably get a Torque/AB combo.

I haven't been able to kill either motor so i'd say they are on par with each other. As long as it is in an EF airframe who cares, just huck it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic
Actually Torque motors and Airboss speed controllers are the best, but motrofly and hacker make a nice alternative.
Torque MKII + Airboss ESC Power Combo = Best cost/benefit ratio and best fun!

Equivalent Motrolfly motor + ESC = More expensive, great fun, and cool running.

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) Torque Motor + AB ESC = Best benefit and fun!
Last edited by Trill; Mar 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
Mar 11, 2013, 11:11 AM
Registered User
My Torque MKII has been perfect on my MXS,although I am not running the Airboss ESC. Have a CC 100 on it,I have been wanting to try a Motrofly but if they would have had the Torque in stock when i bought my Extra i would have just ordered another one. They didn't and I'm not gonna wait I have flying to do,I already have the Talon 90 so decided perfect time to try a Motrofly and see for my self how it is.
Mar 11, 2013, 11:59 AM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestColoFlyer
My Torque MKII has been perfect on my MXS,although I am not running the Airboss ESC. Have a CC 100 on it,I have been wanting to try a Motrofly but if they would have had the Torque in stock when i bought my Extra i would have just ordered another one. They didn't and I'm not gonna wait I have flying to do,I already have the Talon 90 so decided perfect time to try a Motrofly and see for my self how it is.
You won't be disappointed. 6s? Which wind?

Quote:
Torque MKII + Airboss ESC Power Combo = Best cost/benefit ratio and best fun!

Equivalent Motrolfly motor + ESC = More expensive, great fun, and cool running.

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) Torque Motor + AB ESC = Best benefit and fun!
Motrolfly isn't to bad cost wise too... they definitely aren't as proud as Hacker. I don't have experience with the new MKII, but it sounds like you can't go wrong with either.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Extreme Flight 70" Extra 300 EXP - build/fly/video hercdriver7777 3D Flying 2644 May 14, 2017 12:22 PM
Build Log Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP - Build/Fly/Video FlopGun 3D Flying 249 Apr 16, 2012 10:46 AM
Help! D-60 build thread Chronic DS'er Dynamic Soaring 3 Jun 23, 2011 10:04 PM
Sold Extreme Flight 58" Extra Ready To Fly (GA) traderdave2 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 11 Apr 26, 2011 05:33 PM
Video EXTREME FLIGHT RC EXTRA 300EXP in Action! EXTREME FLIGHT Electric Plane Talk 1 Jun 10, 2009 08:45 PM