This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 23, 2011, 11:03 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Data

Airfield Me Bf-109 Repaired and Ready to go into Combat!

Hi good People,

Hope everyone is keeping cool and hydrated these days as it is pretty hot!

The latest is the completion of repairs from an Ugly Pilot Error situation back last weekend (Sunday) where I plowed in my beloved German Airfield Me Bf-109 into the field after attempting a lazy roll without enough airspeed and tired at the sticks!

Past posts of detailed repairs after this incident:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1470936

Okay, late this past week the needed spare parts finally arrived from PW-RC and it seems like Customs are slowing down things a bit as it arrived about 14 days after I ordered them. A Significantly additional time than what I have accustom to from past orders.

Can't wait to fly her again, in the morning!

Okay, some pictures and modifications to improve this model:

Fuel Tubing mod / securing method for all clevises:

Wing Re-Enforcement Mod using Clear Packing tape!

Final Results after painting and using some ORACAL Adhesive Film:

to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2011, 02:44 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Monday morning RC Flying!

Guys!

I missed my Van Pool ride into work so, I wasted no time and packed up my car with my Airfield Me Bf-109 and one additional model to my RC Club on the way to work.

The Airfield Me Bf-109 was placed at mid-field and pointed towards a slight 4 MPH breeze and it took off very nicely and with lots of power using the Stock 4-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C, Li-POLYs.

Once in the air I quickly noticed that the model continued to zoom upwards and even with a good significant down trim the model still had a slight tendency of pointing the nose up.

The only thing I can account for this was the FUSE repairs I have done by gluing in the Plastic Firewall into the Foam stand-offs. Also, the effects, if any, of my Computer Floppy Disks hinges for both Elevator control surfaces, however, all is lined up and rotating perfectly.

I guess that I will go ahead and place propeller hub spacers between the FUSE Plastic Firewall and the metal motor mount to provide additional down thrust of the motor to see if this will reduce the zooming upwards on hard throttle application.

Besides the observance of the above the installation of hardwood rails will be installed for the Servo-Less Retracts and this will top and complete all the modifications that I have planned based on today's flight performance.

Carlos
Aug 19, 2011, 11:05 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Friday, August 19th, 2011

Unbelievable! Had a great time at Moon Port Modelers RC Club with my large EPO foam Me Bf-109 by Airfield / FMS. Had two wonderful flights for about almost 6 minutes each with mix throttle and it was spectacular sight to see with wonderful BLUE sky and dead calm conditions.

Earlier this morning I noticed that during the last rebuild from the crash at the Lake, I must have inadvertently used the incorrect size screws for securing the Retracts to the wing assemblies and this explains why they slightly detached on landing from the last flight back one month ago.
I found some screws that seemed one size up and they went in perfectly and made the retract mounts much more secure and the take-offs and landings from today’s two flights were uneventful.

After the first flight I situated the model on the foam stand upside down and adjusted the clevis retainers to clockwise rotation to allow less UP Elevator and the second flight was much better with a more level flight but, I still feel that thrust angle needs to be adjusted, otherwise, the flights were perfect in my book.

Just an amazing morning and wonderful Me Bf-109 in the air!

Quick Reply