Sep 03, 2003, 07:53 PM
Thread OP

Aerobird Challenger

Has anyone tried the new Aerobird Challenger yet? Itis supposed to be Combat Module Ready and have the larger V tail that the Fighterbird has.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2003, 08:05 PM
It comes stock with the old upgraded Aerobird tail that was available as part of the upgrade kit. As you said, it incoroporates the x-port and has an additional button to activate it. If you're not interested in the x-port, many hobby shops are reducing the proce of the old Aerobird. I dropped the proce of the ones at work to $129 this week and will probably go as low as $119 in the next couple weeks.

Brad
Sep 08, 2003, 04:42 PM
Hi,

Yes, and Yes... (It has the previous X-pack tail that is).

It also has a Multi-Mode control system that really changes the flying personality of the plane. The one mode flies like the old one (but refined), and the second mode is a lot faster response in the turns, with no climbing mix like the old one (V-tail mix only). It will do a quick split S, or crossover a turn quick for combat.

I saw a demo at the dogs show.... Looks very cool!
My LHS says they will be arriving in the next week or a few days more.

ABII
Last edited by aerobirdtoo; Sep 08, 2003 at 04:44 PM.
Sep 09, 2003, 05:52 AM
2 many post 4 1 SlowStick

hobbyzones new plane on eBay...

Saw a post in "T-Area" about someone wanting one of these and
his LHS was out, and selling the AB Challenger for $179.00
I passed this info on to him/them.

Thought if anyone's interested, or having a hard time finding one,
or wanting to save a handful of bucks...

...a hobbyshop in S.C. is selling them on eBay for a "Buy-it-Now"
price of $129.00 + $12.00 S/H (48 U.S.)

A basic eBay search for...Aerobird Challenger... will produce a
list of (3) items, same seller, spaced a few days apart. Of course they are NEW IN BOX. (results as of 9-8-03 Monday)

The 6-cell is still stock, this particular ebay ad mentioned a
"specially designed wing". Of course the pic looked like a regular AB wing including the decals. I'm thinking it is maybe the 'flatter'
Fighterbird wing??? At least my FB wing compared to my AB wing, seems much flatter, (faster) Would be curious to know.
Thanks,
Bubba
Sep 09, 2003, 12:57 PM
Nah,

Its the same wing... Look at the part list in the back of the manual (which is on hobbyzonesports.com) the part number is the same.

From what I hear, the plane is not released just yet... anyone confirm different? I hear they ship this week or next.

ABII
Sep 09, 2003, 03:30 PM
No, it's already been released. Some places have already sold out, and it is on ebay.
Sep 26, 2003, 06:39 PM
npm
npm

Yee haaahhhhh

Just got the Challenger yesterday. All I can say is wow! Turning is much improved, almost too much (nah, just kidding). I'm going to have to recalibrate my control inputs. I'm glad I didn't move the control line down to the bottom before I flew it but I am looking forward to the day when I need to. If you have the Aerobird and like it I would definately recommend the challenger. I live in the country and my neighbor and his buddies fly Fighterbirds, can't wait to do some hunting..........
Sep 26, 2003, 06:50 PM
Foam Addict
Cool have fun. I dont like the Firebird/Aerobird series. Because they are "Grandma Easy" planes. If you have an Aerobird get a Slowstick or Tigermoth dont get a Challenger. They can be fun for a while but become very limiting. Without reinfocing the wings can snap on loops. I try to tell people to veer away from them because they are all 2-3 channel with basically no control over decent. Its better and cheaper if you stick to the hobby to get a Slowstick or Picostick or Tigermoth. But have fun with your Aerobird. Maybe it will last longer then my FBXL which lasted for 2 flights Specked it and tx bats ran out...dove into the ground after it went into a death spiral from my last attempt to bring it down in a hurry...
Oct 02, 2003, 06:34 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Aerobird is a three channel plane, just like slow-stick and Tiger moth. R/E/T.

Aerobirds are pretty Aerobatic, within the confines of a R/E/T plane. We have pilots in our club who do wild things with them. Have never seen a wing break in flight unless it was already damaged.

The new challenger is supposed to be even more responseive.
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 02, 2003 at 09:50 PM.
Oct 02, 2003, 08:25 PM
Silent Flight
Quote:
Originally posted by Starfox9
Cool have fun. I dont like the Firebird/Aerobird series. Because they are "Grandma Easy" planes.
I like "Grandma Easy" planes! In fact, the easier, the better.

daveWCO

PS - I've never seen an AB/FB wing break in a loop either, aeajr. I've tried my best to bust mine, all in vain.
Oct 02, 2003, 09:13 PM
lol. good. I'm getting a challenger for my b-day (October 8).
Oct 03, 2003, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by daveWCO
I like "Grandma Easy" planes! In fact, the easier, the better.

daveWCO
Yeheh Killer, I find your position uhh, remarkably original!

If there ever ceases to be 'Granny' planes, ...a new r/c'er
would need to go thru the 'Box', ...and I know that's not
what I want...though admittedly need.

...and that's good you can't fold a FB wing, but you know
how to run a length of tape down one too!

SPONGYBOB, speaking of 'Grannys'...any chance you've got
one you could 'hint' into adding a 7 cell batt to the B-Day gift??
I'll be 'subscribed' to this thread for your 'first flight' report.
You will always remember your first flight...

...but go careful now my brother, some find it as addictive
as Crack! They are all over the place around here!!!
bubba
[edit: Spongy, I see this thread is in "Parkflyer's", I'll be watching to see a post in the 'Training Area Forum', ...that would be the place to post the many questions/impressions you are going to have after flying your first time, ...and where I hang out
Last edited by bubbadice; Oct 09, 2003 at 03:11 PM.
Oct 05, 2003, 06:04 AM
The devils playground
funny how most ex Firebird owners think that the Aerobird is the same , it isn't... its 3 channel with complete control over decent. I can do stuff with my Aerobird most folks wouldnt dream of doing with most electrics, night flying, inside hangar landing, slope soaring, gliding, low limbo wire flying etc. when all the other electro flyers pack up and go home due to the wind being to strong, out comes the Aerobird ... I love it.

I also have a Tiger Moth, a Thunder Tiger Sparky an Electrojet, soon a Formosa, so have tried other planes. The Aerobird is a great trainer with a few simple mods.
Oct 05, 2003, 07:36 AM
partial quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Tasmania
funny how most ex Firebird owners think that the Aerobird is the same , it isn't...
...and now, with the Aerobird Challenger (ABC) adding:

1. V-tail mixing (Pro mode)
2. prop-rash fix (not everyone reads hints/tips here)
3. X-port for fun and games (aerial combat, parachute or bomb drops)

...maybe the FB name can finally 'shake' the old image and gain the respect it should have, ...for what it is.

...and I could get on eBay right now and buy one UPS shipped
for $129.99 TOTAL!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3148472218
Last edited by bubbadice; Oct 05, 2003 at 08:23 AM.
Oct 05, 2003, 08:48 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
One clarification:

The AB always had V tail mixing. It is required for rudder/elevator features from the V tail. That is why the V tail survaces are called ruddervators.

What the Aerobird Challenger, AC, adds in pro mode is two surface coordination for rudder. This is the way most V tails owrk.

That is to day, when you select a rudder direction, both ruddervators respond. On the AB, only one surface moved.

This give much greater rudder authority in pro mode. I don't know if there has been any enhancement to the elevator response in pro mode.

Quick Reply