Thread Tools
Jul 29, 2011, 05:08 PM
Registered User
kremecheze's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesses151 View Post
OK Don,
I have the Wicked 4000 (not plus) running 4s using a Hyperflow 55mm fan and it's rediculously loud compared to that setup. What do you suppose is the difference? I really like the sound of a fine tuned electric jet screaming by but, I must admit the quiet flow of air with a faint wistle is even cooler. Plus it keeps attention off of you. So is the 4000 plus motor that much quieter than the 4000 or what?
-Jesse
i have had that same setup and the hyperflow fan is just insanely loud no matter what you do to it
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2011, 07:04 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesses151 View Post
OK Don,
I have the Wicked 4000 (not plus) running 4s using a Hyperflow 55mm fan and it's rediculously loud compared to that setup. What do you suppose is the difference? I really like the sound of a fine tuned electric jet screaming by but, I must admit the quiet flow of air with a faint wistle is even cooler. Plus it keeps attention off of you. So is the 4000 plus motor that much quieter than the 4000 or what?
-Jesse
The motor does not make the sound the fan blades/stators do. A 55mm fan will be louder than 64mm fan because the rotor spins faster. The fans must also be balanced as any vibrations will be amplified by the fuselage and make it resonate and sound louder but the actual motor makes no difference.
Jul 30, 2011, 07:33 AM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdab View Post
Don, I see you decided to put your ConceptX up for sale (at a great price, I might add). Very tempting. So how would you compare the Stinger to the ConX on build, flight characteristics, speed, etc? I think the Stinger looks better but that is a personal preference. Anyway, what do you say?
Sorry I missed this post somehow. With the same power system the stinger is 5-10 mph faster. I think it feels better in the air and is easier to launch because of the finger tabs. The Concept X landed easier on its belly because so far my belly landings on the Stinger keep flipping over.
Aug 03, 2011, 11:54 AM
t = Col Frank Fitts
tdab's Avatar
Thanks, I hope to have everything together in the next few weeks....Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Sorry I missed this post somehow. With the same power system the stinger is 5-10 mph faster. I think it feels better in the air and is easier to launch because of the finger tabs. The Concept X landed easier on its belly because so far my belly landings on the Stinger keep flipping over.
Aug 18, 2011, 04:51 PM
Registered User

Thrust tube


Don, I see you uploaded two thrust tube templates. Apparently different diameters? which one did you use on yours?
E
Aug 18, 2011, 04:51 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
The thrust tube is long it has to printed on two sheets of paper.

Don
Aug 18, 2011, 04:52 PM
Registered User
ah, I see it now...
Thanks!
Oct 21, 2011, 09:26 PM
Registered User

What type of servos


Does this jet have metal gear servos or plastic? Trying to decide if I should buy the Hobby King model or the one from Hobby Lobby.
Oct 26, 2011, 02:22 PM
t = Col Frank Fitts
tdab's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealc View Post
Does this jet have metal gear servos or plastic? Trying to decide if I should buy the Hobby King model or the one from Hobby Lobby.
You do not need MG servos....
Nov 12, 2011, 01:17 PM
Registered User
jjh24's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Probably about 100 mph. If the model was a little cleaner then more mph but this kit like so many other foamies (except the Phase 3 f-16 and Alfa EDF models) has a 1/4" thick trailing edge on the wing, stab, and fin so that eats power. Its OK when you go 60-70 mph but is an issue at 100 mph.
can anyone explain this or take a picture explaining..wow didnt know this..
Last edited by jjh24; Nov 12, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Nov 12, 2011, 03:48 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Thick trailing edges cause drag. The faster you go the more power you need to over come the drag as power goes up with the speed to the third power.
Nov 12, 2011, 07:03 PM
Registered User
jjh24's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Thick trailing edges cause drag. The faster you go the more power you need to over come the drag as power goes up with the speed to the third power.
gotcha..wow..i never knew
Nov 13, 2011, 04:57 PM
Registered User
jesses151's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Thick trailing edges cause drag. The faster you go the more power you need to over come the drag as power goes up with the speed to the third power.


So then, is it as easy as simply sanding down the trailing edge to a point? Or should the entire thickness of the wing be shaved down?
-Jesse
Nov 13, 2011, 05:14 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
The trailing edges are just one part of it. The key is total model drag reduction. Any drag reduction will gain you more speed. Simply sanding the trailing edge thinner may or may not work depending how it is done because you are altering the airfoil by sanding it. You can reduce trailing edge drag but then gain profile drag from the modified airfoil section if the sanding is too abrupt. Thin airfoils have less drag, smooth surfaces have less drag. The ducting, control rods in the airstream, it all adds up. The Alfa F86 I had would go much faster on the same watts as the EPO F86 they now sell same as the Mig 15. On 4S the they go about 100 mph @ 600 watts the alfa kits were over 115 mph on the same watts. If you were to put them next to each other you would see the differences in how they are built.
Dec 28, 2011, 10:14 PM
HOW FAST WAS THAT!!!
deleted, sorry
Last edited by earshottank22; Dec 29, 2011 at 02:24 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion $129.95 Dynam 4-Ch 64mm EDF Brushless-Powered RC Remote Control Jet RTF wnppmy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 5 Jul 07, 2013 07:35 PM
For Sale Don's Wicked 4800 mounted in a dynamically balanced 64mm EDO Type I EDF Unit. jhamm Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Jun 06, 2010 07:03 AM
Sold Don's Wicked 4000KV EDF with 2 64MM Fans jafo216 Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Mar 30, 2009 08:04 PM