Aug 11, 2011, 08:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doushiyou12
this bird is looking sweet. subbed
Thanks!

I promised myself that I would slam this thing together and not let my OCD bog me down.

So far I've only re-built five parts (including those engine pylons that were way too wide). Not bad for me.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2011, 12:15 AM
In six days from start to finish ?!
I wish I had a recipe for that.
I tent to build extremely slowly, inefficiently and very tediously and overcomplicated.
I should have probably gone with the flat-bottomed wing like you did instead of trying a NACA 2412 airfoil.

I hope you finish yours soon (so I can get some ideas ). So far looks very nice.

Sergey.
Aug 12, 2011, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter
You want to also mount your ESC's up around the wing area, near where the batts will be. Its much easier to extend the motor wires than the leads, because then you need to add capacitors if you extend the leads. The motor side doesn't care.
Can someone confirm that I'm understanding this before I make a huge mistake?

The entire ass-end of this thing is built and operational except for the motors and fans. I would like to start gluing the fuselage pieces and formers together up to the nose.

If I run three wires per side from the motor mounts to the speed controller locations am I good to go? I could also use some advice on the wire gauge and preferred bullet connectors for a ~68mm fan.

Thanks,

Greg
Aug 12, 2011, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10jaf
If I run three wires per side from the motor mounts to the speed controller locations am I good to go?
Yes, that should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10jaf
I could also use some advice on the wire gauge and preferred bullet connectors for a ~68mm fan.
I'd say does not matter very much (within some reasonable limits). There was a discussion in some episodes of All Things That Fly podcast about that and also about why you want to make battery wires shorter instead of the motor wires.
Here is the index page:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1054421
Aug 13, 2011, 04:24 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the help Sergey. I'll get this thing put together and weigh it, then I'm going to need help choosing a reasonable power set-up.

Thanks again,

Greg
Aug 13, 2011, 06:23 PM
'Sit vis nobiscum'
Greg,
I have a vacuum form machine if you would like help with engine cowls.
Aug 14, 2011, 06:07 PM
'Sit vis nobiscum'
I saw these fans from Hobby King ( I Know China) but $38 bucks w/motor I think they are 70mm.
Aug 15, 2011, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDANTIC
Greg,
I have a vacuum form machine if you would like help with engine cowls.
Thanks Matt. I have two ideas I want to try first, but if I can't get it to look right I'll take you up on that.

Quote:
I saw these fans from Hobby King ( I Know China) but $38 bucks w/motor I think they are 70mm.
Matt, have you ever ordered from Hobby King? I was thinking about trying them but I keep hearing nightmare stories about 3-4 week delivery times and customer service issues.

Thanks,

Greg

P.S. I just read your whirlybird build thread. If I didn't know you I would be amazed, but since I've seen you build amazing sh*t for years I'll just say it was an awesome subject to model. Hate you.
Aug 16, 2011, 09:14 AM
HK is fine, most of the time they get your stuff shipped out in a few days. I have like 30 orders with them so far and they only botched one where I decided to cancel it. Yes it does take 3-4 weeks to get your stuff usually. A little less if you use EMS.

That fan looks like a hybrid with wm400 parts and a rotor from something else.
Aug 16, 2011, 09:17 AM
Go FASST or go home...
Quote:
HK is fine, most of the time they get your stuff shipped out in a few days. I have like 30 orders with them so far and they only botched one where I decided to cancel it. Yes it does take 3-4 weeks to get your stuff usually. A little less if you use EMS.
I always use EMS, and when it's shipped it shows up on my door in about a weeks time. They are not slower than many other webshops in Asia...

Ben_E
Aug 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
Your wiring plan is fine. Just keep the same gauge wire as the motor/esc already has. Or you could go one step up in gauge. Usually if its a longer wire run like you have there, its good to go up in wire diameter a notch. Sometimes the ESC's have a larger gauge than the motors anyway (the motors gauge being dictated by its windings). You should run your power setup before you install it, so long as the wires are not getting too warm you're good.

It depends on where you're at for the delivery time, just plan for 2-3 weeks and you wont be disappointed
Aug 16, 2011, 07:38 PM
'Sit vis nobiscum'
Greg,

I have only ordered small stuff and have never waited more than 5 business days. I have only ordered from them a few times The quality is pretty good for what you pay for so.....take that for what it is worth

Are you using the Midwest foam for this project?

Cheers,
Matt
Aug 16, 2011, 07:45 PM
'Sit vis nobiscum'
I made this out of foam carry-out trays and painted it with Testors acrylic

It uses the Park zone UM electronics. I'm interested in what foam you are using so maybe I can use it for the A-4. The trays are too small for much else

Thanks,
Matt
Aug 16, 2011, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Are you using the Midwest foam for this project?
No! I bought that Midwest stuff to make side force generators for my Tribute 3D. It is very stiff and hard to work with IMO.

I'm using Depron from Grave's which is the same stuff you can get from http://rcfoam.com/.

It's easy to roll and has a really smooth finish. Cheap too!

Quote:
I made this out of foam carry-out trays and painted it with Testors acrylic

It uses the Park zone UM electronics. I'm interested in what foam you are using so maybe I can use it for the A-4. The trays are too small for much else

Thanks,
Matt
Sweet! Sean D. Tucker action!
Last edited by cap10jaf; Aug 16, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Aug 16, 2011, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_E
I always use EMS, and when it's shipped it shows up on my door in about a weeks time. They are not slower than many other webshops in Asia...

Ben_E
Thanks for the info Ben.

Quote:
Your wiring plan is fine. Just keep the same gauge wire as the motor/esc already has. Or you could go one step up in gauge. Usually if its a longer wire run like you have there, its good to go up in wire diameter a notch. Sometimes the ESC's have a larger gauge than the motors anyway (the motors gauge being dictated by its windings). You should run your power setup before you install it, so long as the wires are not getting too warm you're good.

It depends on where you're at for the delivery time, just plan for 2-3 weeks and you wont be disappointed
I can't thank you enough for this detailed explanation. It's a valuable time, money, and frustration saver.

Mucho Appreciato,

Greg

Quick Reply