Jul 20, 2011, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

1/20 DC9-15 / Depron from card model

I decided to get some depron/EDF experience while waiting for the amazing short-kit from Silenthunter to be available. (Can't wait!)

This will be my first airliner attempt, and I'm not planning on a masterpiece. I've been haunting this forum and Neff's website trying to learn the "card model" technique, but Master Neff does not reveal very much.

If anybody can lend some insight, please feel free to jump in and comment since I'm flying blind on this one.

Here we go,

Day1:
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2011, 04:11 PM
Its fun to work stuff huh you just did the hardest part, the nose!

Glad your not holding your breath for my kit LOL
Jul 22, 2011, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Day2 (no time to build yesterday):

I carved a nose from block foam, finished the fuse sections, and started the tail. The vertical fin is a 6mm sheet core with 3mm left and right panels (not glued yet). I'm planning to remove sections of the 6mm core to allow for a vertical brace and Sullivan type push cables to the elevators with the servo in front of the CG. We'll see how it goes.

Any other design ideas are welcome and appreciated. This thing is feather light! It's also short so I'm trying to keep the tail light.

Next build day is Monday...
Jul 25, 2011, 03:03 PM
Go FASST or go home...
Nice!

Ben_E
Jul 25, 2011, 03:34 PM
HappyGoLucky
Very nice work!
Jul 27, 2011, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
It's starting to look like a 9...I'm starting the wings today.
Last edited by cap10jaf; Jul 27, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
Jul 27, 2011, 10:08 AM
Looking great!
Jul 27, 2011, 08:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_E
Nice!

Ben_E
Thank you Ben. It seems like I know you from seeing your posts around here! Your Maddog is looking great, and what can I say about the job you've done on the WR737 other than excellent!

My heart goes out to you and yours following the events of last week.
Jul 27, 2011, 08:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chochmah
Very nice work!
Thank you chochmah,

Blended wing 797? Really? You are inspired and awesome. I just watched the time lapse video again! Thanks for posting it. Great stuff!
Jul 27, 2011, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter
Looking great!
Thanks! Don't suppose I could purchase a couple of 1/20 scale engine nacelle rejects out of your trash can?

That's the thing I'm most worried about....
Jul 27, 2011, 09:42 PM
Actually they might look too big on your model.... the MD-80 has bigger engines than the older DC-9's. And on top mine are a little bigger than scale i think, so i had room for the reversers etc.

I can make you a set if you want. But I would just wrap the fans with depron (Like Ben's build), foam cup parts etc. You need it to be as light as possible back there. You want to also mount your ESC's up around the wing area, near where the batts will be. Its much easier to extend the motor wires than the leads, because then you need to add capacitors if you extend the leads. The motor side doesent care.

I would wait untill you get the model almost finished to see what it will weigh before you commit to power, then you can power it as hot as you need so it wont be a dog.
Jul 28, 2011, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Actually they might look too big on your model.... the MD-80 has bigger engines than the older DC-9's. And on top mine are a little bigger than scale i think, so i had room for the reversers etc.

I can make you a set if you want. But I would just wrap the fans with depron (Like Ben's build), foam cup parts etc. You need it to be as light as possible back there.
Thanks for the offer to make me a set, but I agree with you. This isn't that kind of model, not to mention I need to learn this stuff.

Quote:
You want to also mount your ESC's up around the wing area, near where the batts will be. Its much easier to extend the motor wires than the leads, because then you need to add capacitors if you extend the leads. The motor side doesent care.
Thanks for the concise info. I read your post awhile back about this but I would've had to go researching.

Quote:
I would wait untill you get the model almost finished to see what it will weigh before you commit to power, then you can power it as hot as you need so it wont be a dog.
It's hard to put a price on good advice from those with experience. Thanks! That will be the plan.

Today I made a materials run for stuff to finish the wing, but I was too busy to build. Maybe tomorrow...updates to follow.

Thank you Mr. Hunter
Jul 29, 2011, 11:20 AM
'Sit vis nobiscum'
Found it!

Glad you are finally trying to get one in the air

What ever happened to this paint scheme??

I am subscribed

Matt

Quick Reply